See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Question ...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I’m in my 10th hour of work exceeding my typical gruelling schedule of 6-7 hours a week. I do know your market. Remind me in a couple of days if I haven’t sent it, and I’ll send you something. Oh, and I haven’t been backed off their yet. No big secrets as to what’s up there.
    Hi Freightman

I sent an email to the adress you posted on this forum before. My email is APinVancouver at Gmail

Quote Originally Posted by Old, but not dead View Post
    Hi Freightman

I sent an email to the adress you posted on this forum before. My email is APinVancouver at Gmail
    Never saw it, but I’ll send the info 8n a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Never saw it, but I’ll send the info 8n a few minutes.
    Sent. Let me know how that corresponds with your info.

For the original OP, there are things to try, some mentioned earlier about taking a break (phone or text, bathroom break, etc.). If heat is minimal, you should try playing 2 hands and simply dropping to one hand when count is bad or going to 2 hands in positive counts at much lesser risk. Often, at $10 table, they call out “checks play” if you bet over $100 so Iunderstand the $80 max bet but you can do 2 x $90 (or start going 2 x $20 at TC+2 and move up).

I don’t know how you went up so much playing to TC -5 and a bet spread of $10-$80 and suspect good variance and it will go bad soon playing to TC-5.

For me, I take a break, stand up and behind my chair when TC goes to Minus 2, pretend I have to answer a text, keep an eye on the round and count. If it gets to TC below -2 and less than 2 decks remain to be dealt (with another 1+ behind cut card), I slip a couple of dollar tip, tell the dealer to hold my 2 spots and take a bathroom break, come in time to start new shoe. If I return earlier, I just sit and watch, say I will start with new shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraBlack View Post
    I've read many say making $20 an hour isn't worth the trouble
    This amount is over the annual median income. It would be worth the trouble if it met your needs personally.
    The largest factor is volatility. You can not depend on that weekly or biweekly check from your employer. The biggest loss is employer supplied benefits (Health insurance, vacation pay, sick pay, 401k, SS contributions, ect.) Employer supplied health insurance is generally worth several dollars per hour alone. On the flip side, Playing at that level you probably wont generate many tax forms. My guess is that most AP's at that level report very little if any. That is approximately a 25% savings. If it works for you financially, and your are comfortable with your risk of ruin I would say do it. You can perfect your game at that level while building your bankroll to play at higher stakes.

I wong out at TC -3 in 6-deck games. As noted by other posters, this is less then optimal, but usually works out well for me - about two bathroom breaks and one phone call per session. Usually comes off pretty natural. Any more would look a little too scripted.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Another tip is to play standing up, look like you need to be somewhere and constantly look at your watch. Be ready to dart.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I really like what both Don and Freightman have had to say in this discussion... I believe both to be correct...

* Don is absolutely correct: "The math is the math." Everything about basic strategy, index play, betting spreads, etc. is mathematical. It's all statistics and probability. If you play hands in which you have a disadvantage, in the long run, you will lose money on those hands. Sure, you can mediate this, in part, with good index play, but a disadvantage is still a disadvantage and you will lose money as we cannot escape the mathematical certainty.

* However, Freightman is correct in that there can be external and environmental factors that can tip the scales in favor the the player. Are there sloppy dealers who show hole cards? Is there a side wager that, though typically terrible, becomes advantageous at negative counts? Etc. It is entirely possible that Freightman has found a nice niche that he can happily exploit...

* It is also very reasonable that playing through negative counts is better than other options. If you can play one-on-one with a healthy spread, great penetration, and a dealer that will let you play at close to 200 hands per hour, playing playing every hand might be quite a bit more profitable than playing at another table - perhaps where there are three or four ploppies, playing multiple hands where you would be lucky to play 30 hands per hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Splitting Tens View Post
    I really like what both Don and Freightman have had to say in this discussion... I believe both to be correct...

* Don is absolutely correct: "The math is the math." Everything about basic strategy, index play, betting spreads, etc. is mathematical. It's all statistics and probability. If you play hands in which you have a disadvantage, in the long run, you will lose money on those hands. Sure, you can mediate this, in part, with good index play, but a disadvantage is still a disadvantage and you will lose money as we cannot escape the mathematical certainty.

* However, Freightman is correct in that there can be external and environmental factors that can tip the scales in favor the the player. Are there sloppy dealers who show hole cards? Is there a side wager that, though typically terrible, becomes advantageous at negative counts? Etc. It is entirely possible that Freightman has found a nice niche that he can happily exploit...

* It is also very reasonable that playing through negative counts is better than other options. If you can play one-on-one with a healthy spread, great penetration, and a dealer that will let you play at close to 200 hands per hour, playing playing every hand might be quite a bit more profitable than playing at another table - perhaps where there are three or four ploppies, playing multiple hands where you would be lucky to play 30 hands per hour.
    Nice post. Everyone can choose their own style of play
    You can choose to get laid in a nice safe proficient military manner
    https://youtu.be/4XYC9dyIeyM
    Or
    She can display pleasant enthusiasm when mounted
    https://youtu.be/CEYnb22LkjA

I like cats. They're cute.

This is getting good.........

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345