See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stand on HARD 10?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    ...., I recently surrendered 13 v 8. You need an absolute monster deck for that one.
    That's bold, REALLY bold...

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkChip View Post
    Another source is Fred Renzey, Blackjack Bluebook II, Chapter 5, p. 57 (2006 Edition). An excellent book for beginners explaining Basic Strategy issues in a very comprehensible manner.

Small correction to above posting:
    You should surrender not only when the chance of winning the hand is less than, but also when it is equal to 25 percent, because the expectation value is then equal but surrender reduces variance and thus risk of ruin.
    Don’t know you (I think), but you’ve made a couple of pretty interesting recent posts that Ive noticed. Look forward to reviewing your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Like I said, it was a monster deck at about true 10. Strike point is true 8. (Halves)

Haven’t done it much, maybe 3 or 4 times total. For some reason, that index is seared into my wiring.

Regarding surrender posts above, I should have also noted the incredible boost that surrender, when properly used, adds to your win rate - about 1/3.

Nothing to sneeze at. I will play non surrender shoe games, but the pen needs to be phenomenal. Great pen does make up for other house transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    Making unusual LS plays isn't that bold. Ploppies make stupid LS plays all the time, like 12 or 13 v 7.

My favorite is taking INS, losing the bet, then surrendering.

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post

Just did that a couple of days ago

Making unusual LS plays isn't that bold. Ploppies make stupid LS plays all the time, like 12 or 13 v 7.

Yeah. I absolutely love that too lol

Do it with 19 vs 9 or 18 vs 8 and be right. That'll get looks.

What if my ten were an 11? Or hard 12?

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    What if my ten were an 11? Or hard 12?
    Interesting question on a virtual non existent possibility

The issue here is to maximize on a golden opportunity, or close to maximizing by capitalizing on probabilities. I would still surrender the 11 while doubling A2, as an 18 hand is too close a call. However, hitting 12 with a known 7, at a true 3, gives you pretty good odds. So, double the hard 12, and play out your Ace 2 which gives you the best chance at winning 3 bets.

This is off the top thinking, and I’d sure like to see other opinions.

This thread has strayed so far from the original question as to make me wonder how or why any of you are even discussing what you are. Is there an initial pair that is split (2-2)? If so, why, for the love of God, are you talking about surrendering either of the split hands? What game, exactly, are you playing??

Also, if you state, exactly, what a particular situation is, why are we soliciting opinions? There's only one correct answer, from a strictly mathematical viewpoint, to questions such as these. What's the difference what people's opinions are? Does anyone ask your opinion of 2+2 or whether you should double 11 vs. 6?

So, can we stick to one (hopefully) intelligent question at a time, and I'll try to give an answer. Only, please, will you stop discussing surrendering a hand that results from a split!

Thanks.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Does anyone ask your opinion of 2+2
    I would drive 17 miles out of my way to get an answer to this.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

2+2
    The answer? Worth a Talmudic discussion.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast