See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: How Much Do You Keep in Your Checking Account

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

How Much Do You Keep in Your Checking Account

I'm not really interested in a dollar amount, but more interested in just how many months of living expenses you keep in your checking account. I'm more interested in what folks over 65 do as young folks tend to have less savings.

Anyway, over the last few years my checking account balance has been creeping upwards mostly due to income tax refunds that I let sit in the checking account. Overall, the way I have things set up now there is a slight amount more going into my checking account each month than going out. My inputs are social security, pension, 401(k), and some dividends, but the majority of my dividends are reinvested. The inputs are all direct deposited.

Now as I get older I want a large checking account balance as most of my withdrawals are automatic. I'm afraid I might die or have a stoke and my wife won't know shit and I surely want our health insurance premiums to be paid. However, after just receiving our last income tax refund we now have about x months of living expenses in the checking account and I think that is too much.

So I'm interested in what others do. A money reserve for blackjack is not a concern as I play such low limits replenishing my bankroll is not a concern, and I almost always take a blackjack replenishment out of savings instead of checking. I also have interest on checking, but the interest rate is still very low.

So my thinking now is at least x months of living expenses in my checking account is about right. Anybody agree or disagree?
    https://www.thebalance.com/how-much-...ccount-4177181
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 05-05-2019 at 11:19 AM.