See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Optimal Bet and masuring variance

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Optimal Bet and masuring variance

Varance--When I first stated counting, little did I know I was still playing at a disadvantage. I'd bet an extra 50 cents for every +1. So the counts plus 3 im betting 6.50. Get it? I slowly raised my bets after id win or break even a bunch of times, and I kept track of my record (i dont wanna hear how days are irrelevant, i dont care). I was 28-4 in my first 32 trips, win-loss record. Frequently I got behind, but id just keep playing, and eventually id get back to even. After all, w/counting, i was at less than a .5% disadvantage...so i was bound to get above even at some point and then id cash out. Now I bet subtantally more. Variance is huge...so far this year i am 10-6. Why? shouldnt that be closer to my earlier domination?

Optimize--I bet in $6 increments (i dont care if u think that's stupid). So at 0, im bettin 5, at 1 im bettin 6, 2, im betting 12, plus 10 im betting 60 etc. w/wong out at -2. can anyone tell me what my avg. bet is, and how to optimize my betting schedule W/OUT betting any more or less money?
    Last edited by Sonuvabish; 02-26-2013 at 07:55 AM.

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Masuring varance is tuf. kinda lick spellin "missusipea" and reading ur postses
    "I think, therfore I can't play blackjack."
    Arnold Snyder, Blackbelt in Blackjack pg. 229 (2005)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo player View Post
    LOL!!!

28-4...10-6...are you fighting for home-court advantage in the playoffs?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonuvabish View Post
    Varance--When I first stated counting, little did I know I was still playing at a disadvantage. I'd bet an extra 50 cents for every +1. So the counts plus 3 im betting 6.50. Get it? I slowly raised my bets after id win or break even a bunch of times, and I kept track of my record (i dont wanna hear how days are irrelevant, i dont care). I was 28-4 in my first 32 trips, win-loss record. Frequently I got behind, but id just keep playing, and eentually id get back to even. After all, w/counting, i was at less than a .5% disadvantage...so i was bound to get above even at some point and then id cash out. Now I bet subtantally more. Variance is huge...so far this year i am 10-6. Why? shouldnt that be closer to my earlier domination?

Optimize--I bet in $6 increments (i dont care if u think that's stupid). So at 0, im bettin 5, at 1 im bettin 6, 2, im betting 12, plus 10 im betting 60 etc. w/wong out at -2. can anyone tell me what my avg. bet is, and how to optimize my betting schedule W/OUT betting any more or less money?
    It might help if you say what sort of game you are playing, desks, rules etc.. I assume you are using Hi-Lo ?

Brh.

Quote Originally Posted by Solo player View Post
    my keyboard is cordless dick. i was too far away and it didnt pick up the e. thanks for help.
    Last edited by Sonuvabish; 02-26-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 22 Dreams View Post
    28-4...10-6...are you fighting for home-court advantage in the playoffs?
    are u stupid or do u just suck at being funny?

Quote Originally Posted by brh View Post
    It might help if you say what sort of game you are playing, desks, rules etc.. I assume you are using Hi-Lo ?

Brh.
    h17 das ls.. full indices rpc

my keyboard is cordless dick. i was too far away and it didnt pick up the e. thanks for help.
    Take some of your winnings from counting cards and buy a new keyboard. It is not working well at all. Have nice day.
    "I think, therfore I can't play blackjack."
    Arnold Snyder, Blackbelt in Blackjack pg. 229 (2005)

Some Answers

Varance--When I first stated counting, little did I know I was still playing at a disadvantage. I'd bet an extra 50 cents for every +1. So the counts plus 3 im betting 6.50. Get it? I slowly raised my bets after id win or break even a bunch of times, and I kept track of my record (i dont wanna hear how days are irrelevant, i dont care). I was 28-4 in my first 32 trips, win-loss record. Frequently I got behind, but id just keep playing, and eventually id get back to even. After all, w/counting, i was at less than a .5% disadvantage...so i was bound to get above even at some point and then id cash out. Now I bet subtantally more. Variance is huge...so far this year i am 10-6. Why? shouldnt that be closer to my earlier domination?

Sonuvabish,

I guessed that the game you're playing is 8D, H17, DAS with 6.5/8 pen, and that you're using Complete HiLo with three other players. If those guesses are wrong, feel free to post corrections and I'll try to re-run the results.

I used CVCX to sim this game. Using the betting schedule you mentioned (wong out at -2, bet $5 at -1 & 0, then bet $6 times the TC for TC's of +1 up to +10, and $60 for TC's above +10), I found an average bet of $7.69, an IBA of 0.561%, a WR of $3.65, and an N0 of 94,222. Skipping all rounds with TC's of -2 & below, you'll play 84.6% of the rounds.

Using the same spread of $5 to $60, CVCX suggests this schedule: wong out at -2, bet $5 at -1 to +1, $25 at +2, $45 at +3, and $60 at +4 & up. This gives an average bet of $11.30, an IBA of 0.897%, a WR of $8.57, and an N0 of 56,619. Skipping all rounds with TC's of -2 & below, you'll play 84.6% of the rounds.

The problem with your bet schedule is that you're waiting much, MUCH too long to place you max bet. With your schedule, you'll be max-betting about 0.1% of the time; with the CVCX schedule, you'll be max-betting about 4.8% of the time.

By the way, even the CVCX schedule I've given does not give a good game by any stretch.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

Blog Entries

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Sonuvabish/Boz/Puffy has left the building.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse