Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Reach Your Yearly Goal Do You Quit Playing for the Year

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

If You Reach Your Yearly Goal Do You Quit Playing for the Year

Lets assume one plays blackjack for a living and has a $100,000 win goal each year. Lets also assume this is the high end of what you will normally make in a year. Most of the time you will come in under this goal like maybe $85,000 to $90,000. However, assume this year you are having a great year and by the end of October you have blown through your $100,000 win goal. Do you take the rest of the year off and enjoy family or do you continue to plug away?
    https://www.legitgamblingsites.com/b...rofessionally/
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 11-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Lets assume one plays blackjack for a living and has a $100,000 win goal each year. Lets also assume this is the high end of what you will normally make in a year. Most of the time you will come in under this goal like maybe $85,000 to $90,000. However, assume this year you are having a great year and by the end of October you have blown through your $100,000 win goal. Do you take the rest of the year off and enjoy family or do you continue to plug away?
    Keep playing! It is all one long session anyway. Whether or not if it is December 31 or June 8, you keep on chugging away until you can't play at any joint in the world.

Keep playing. Why stop? Generate that EV. Only stop if you were planning to stop in October and have met your EV requirements.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don’t have set playing schedules as such, therefore, I don’t have yearly goals.

My best year, I peaked in November and dropped about 12k in December. Shit happens. Mind you, I still had most of my local joints in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I don’t have set playing schedules as such, therefore, I don’t have yearly goals.

My best year, I peaked in November and dropped about 12k in December. Shit happens. Mind you, I still had most of my local joints in those days.
    I guess I really don't have a hard and fast goal either. I always have enough money withheld in income taxes during the year to cover a certain win, but most of the time I don't win that much. So maybe you can say I do have a goal based on past experience.

Anyway, I did manage to get another blackjack trip in this year and driving conditions were not the best. Winter has come very early this year along with way below normal temps. On a trip in Oct, I left my pop in the car and it froze. This time I decided to put the pop in an ice cooler to keep it warm, but it still froze. On the way home, I had no pop to drink, but it was probably a good thing because I didn't have to make a piss stop. The shoulders of the road were not plowed and pulling over to run into the woods to leave a leak was not the best idea with over a foot of snow on the ground. Besides, it is deer season, never know when someone might think you are a deer.

My winning streak of 7 wins in a row came to an end on my last trip. However, it was still a good trip (4th best of the year), and it was good enough for me to blow though my goal for the year. So yeah, I want to call it quits right now for the year. I like playing the game, but I don't like traveling in winter conditions anymore.

This year I made 16 trips with only 3 of them losing trips.

I guess I really don't have a hard and fast goal either. I always have enough money withheld in income taxes during the year to cover a certain win, but most of the time I don't win that much. So maybe you can say I do have a goal based on past experience.

Anyway, I did manage to get another blackjack trip in this year and driving conditions were not the best. Winter has come very early this year along with way below normal temps. On a trip in Oct, I left my pop in the car and it froze. This time I decided to put the pop in an ice cooler to keep it warm, but it still froze. On the way home, I had no pop to drink, but it was probably a good thing because I didn't have to make a piss stop. The shoulders of the road were not plowed and pulling over to run into the woods to leave a leak was not the best idea with over a foot of snow on the ground. Besides, it is deer season, never know when someone might think you are a deer.

My winning streak of 7 wins in a row came to an end on my last trip. However, it was still a good trip (4th best of the year), and it was good enough for me to blow though my goal for the year. So yeah, I want to call it quits right now for the year. I like playing the game, but I don't like traveling in winter conditions anymore.

This year I made 16 trips with only 3 of them losing trips.
    To keep my wife happy - One thing I used to do religiously, was totally separate blackjack funds from other assets. The obvious reasons were despite my wife’s faith in me, the possibility that I would comingle funds upset her. I’m looser now, primarily since the personal accounts owe the BJ accounts a shitload of dough - and it was a good way of getting rid of some dough.

That being said, I ALWAYS check winter road weather conditions prior to a driving trip. Information is easy, and I’m very prepared to delay a trip over poor conditions. I don’t care about cold - I care about whiteout, black ice, heavy wind (got caught once with wind so brutal, it blew a heavy vehicle into the path of a semi, brutal rural conditions).

In your locale, unless you were flying, my routine would tell me to call it quits, over safety issues, for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    That being said, I ALWAYS check winter road weather conditions prior to a driving trip. Information is easy, and I’m very prepared to delay a trip over poor conditions. I don’t care about cold - I care about whiteout, black ice, heavy wind (got caught once with wind so brutal, it blew a heavy vehicle into the path of a semi, brutal rural conditions).

In your locale, unless you were flying, my routine would tell me to call it quits, over safety issues, for the year.
    On my last trip weather conditions were predicted to be pretty good. However, where I'm from after Nov 15th it is pretty hard to get 3 or 4 nice days in a row. It seems like always one end of the trip has less than desirable conditions. On my last trip coming home road conditions started to deteriorate the farther north I got and eventually became mostly snow covered with lake effect snow. Lake effect snow can be very tricky and is really hard to forecast accurately.

Flying is also not the best option either. A few years ago the charter flight from Laughlin could not make it back due to heavy snow and the folks had to be bused back 200 miles. I'm sure glad I was not on that flight.

Also I'm concerned not only for my safety in winter, but also for my wife's. When I'm gone the wife has to take out the dog three times a day and I'm always concerned she might slip on the snow especially late at night when no one is around. I'm always concerned about that late night dog walk, but I always call her to make sure she got back safely. I'm not so much concerned about the morning and afternoon walks as other folks are usually around then. Falling and not being able to get up can mean the difference between life and death in the winter.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 11-22-2018 at 09:38 PM.

where I'm from after Nov 15th it is pretty hard to get 3 or 4 nice days in a row.
    Have you ever considered moving south, at least for the winter?

I didn't have to make a piss stop. The shoulders of the road were not plowed and pulling over to run into the woods to leave a leak was not the best idea with over a foot of snow on the ground
    Drill a hole in your floorboard, add a funnel and some tubing, and the problem is solved!

I am sure this is the answer from most of us:

https://youtu.be/dDniBcAabMc?t=53

$45 x 40 hrs x 52 weeks =$93,600 LoL. So someone makes that money doing some addition and some chips pushing ? the boss just pays him that kind of money and let him/her set their own hours and never lay them off ? ridiculous assumption p.s. $400 x 300 hours, $300 x 400 hours , $200 x 600 hours = $120,000 then minus $20k expenses seem more of a realistic picture of a $100k pro .
    Last edited by stopgambling; 11-21-2018 at 04:08 AM.

However, assume this year you are having a great year and by the end of October you have blown through your $100,000 win goal. Do you take the rest of the year off and enjoy family or do you continue to plug away?
    Well if you are one particular guy here you go back to your free time and continue your posting on the site with a goal of reaching 15000 posts by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by stopgambling View Post
    $45 x 40 hrs x 52 weeks =$93,600 LoL. So someone makes that money doing some addition and some chips pushing ? the boss just pays him that kind of money and let him/her set their own hours and never lay them off ? ridiculous assumption p.s.
    That is not a ridiculous assumption if you are Three. After all, he gives much of his positive EV right back with bedazzlement so he can play on an even keel with a simple system player, BUT completely looking like a non-threat. The bosses heads are left spinning and continue to let him play until he reaches some serious lifetime threshold. Meanwhile between playing and posting "I'm sorry his own free time" his true earnings "like the true count" average the same as most blue-collar workers.
    Last edited by BoSox; 11-21-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Didn't you ask this ploppy question not long ago? This sounds like a question our end of the alphabet friend would ask. You're again focusing on short term results, which is WRONG.

I don't have a yearly goal. I have a calculated EV which increases linearly with time played. Nothing else matters.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast