See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Hands vs 1 Hand in Heads Up: My Conclusion (ad-nauseam all over again – sorry Don)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by SteinMeister View Post
    2.4 cards per round
    I believe the accepted convention is 2.7 cards per hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I believe the accepted convention is 2.7 cards per hand.
    Correct that's what's used in BJA3

I believe the 2.7 is based on a full deck(s). With less small cards in the deck(s) and more high cards, wouldn't this figure be lower?

Quote Originally Posted by ShipTheCookies View Post
    With less small cards in the deck(s) and more high cards, wouldn't this figure be lower?
    Perhaps, but you would be splitting more matchups which would increase the cards used for those matchups. Never seen anyone quantify how it would actually shake out for each TC overall.

Perhaps, but you would be splitting more matchups which would increase the cards used for those matchups.
    If i don't split 10's at all (regardless of the count... I.E. Sw16, which is what I play) I'm not sure that I would be splitting more matchups at a higher count. (assuming HiLo).

If i don't split 10's at all (regardless of the count... I.E. Sw16, which is what I play) I'm not sure that I would be splitting more matchups at a higher count. (assuming HiLo).
    If you use split indices there is. If you use BS there isn't. My point is you need to research before you assume. You can assume based on partial research or determine based on complete research, but assuming without any research is dangerous. Often things surprise you about this game.

If you use split indices there is. If you use BS there isn't. My point is you need to research before you assume. You can assume based on partial research or determine based on complete research, but assuming without any research is dangerous. Often things surprise you about this game.
    I should do the same analysis but use 2.7 instead of 2.4. My "assumption" is the final result in post # 14 will be the same.

I should do the same analysis but use 2.7 instead of 2.4. My "assumption" is the final result in post # 14 will be the same.

I re-ran my calculations (from post # 14) using 2.7 cards per player instead of 2.4. The results were very similar: I obtain 13.5 high cards (out of a batch of 20 high cards) playing 2 hands, while only receiving 10.0 of the high card batch when playing 1 hand.

So my conclusion (which of course is subject to revision, improvement, and / or amendment by virtue of review, inspection, and / or scrutiny) remains: it’s better to play 2 hands instead of 1 while playing heads up.

I re-ran my calculations (from post # 14) using 2.7 cards per player instead of 2.4. The results were very similar: I obtain 13.5 high cards (out of a batch of 20 high cards) playing 2 hands, while only receiving 10.0 of the high card batch when playing 1 hand.

So my conclusion (which of course is subject to revision, improvement, and / or amendment by virtue of review, inspection, and / or scrutiny) remains: it’s better to play 2 hands instead of 1 while playing heads up.
    Not withstanding your small sample, playing 2 hands yields you 6.75 high cards per hand vs dealers 6.5 high cards. Further, when playing 1 hand, you are securing 10 high cards vs 10 dealer high cards. Further, consider you are averaging 5.4 cards per round total heads up and 8.1 cards per round playing 2 hands, playing fewer hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Not withstanding your small sample,
    In my example, the batch of 20 'high' cards was indeed somewhat arbitrarily selected; however in a 6 deck game I'm not sure what the average # of cards the shoe will eject when at max bet (although I don't think it would be a difficult task to determine this). Nonetheless, 20 seemed like a plausible number to me.

... playing 2 hands yields you 6.75 high cards per hand vs dealers 6.5 high cards.
    Can you please elaborate on the math behind these numbers. (also, do you mean "per round" instead of "per hand" ??)

Further, consider you are averaging 5.4 cards per round total heads up and 8.1 cards per round playing 2 hands, playing fewer hands.

From post # 14, out of a batch of 20 “high count” cards (i.e. 20 cards ejected from the shoe while at max bet), assuming my math is correct with 13.4 cards a player receives (out of 20) playing 2 hands vs 10.1 cards a player receives playing 1 hand; this equates to 13.4 / 2 = 6.7 “high cards” per hand playing 2 hands vs 10.1 “high cards” per hand playing one hand.

However, I believe maybe the difference in our logic is from the fact that I’m looking at the total # of high cards received, and not the total # of hands.
    Last edited by SteinMeister; 10-31-2018 at 06:03 PM. Reason: further explaination

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12