I noticed in CVCX that the optimal betting is usually a lower spread than the "EV maximizing" one. I seem to like this as I am playing a low edge game currently and I dont need to spread a lot to crush the game.

As my bank is growing I'm becoming more pressured to increase my max bets. However, it seems to be increasing my chances slightly of having more terrible sessions if I get screwed on the big counts and my mins, who are an ever decreasing fraction of my maxs, no longer come through to save me. Is it prudent to have "optimal minimum bets" or do most pros favor EV maximizing mins.

As an extreme example that's illustrates my point imagine doing a 5$ min to 2×$1000 max spread. Your mins would never save your ass if you have a terrible losing session. However, of instead you did 200$-2×1000$ you might not fare so bad even if you have some bad luck at the big counts.

I understand in the long run the EV maximizing spread will win more money but it isnt optimal and if you have a few bad sessions in the beginning you might have to drastically reduce your bets which again isnt optimal and wastes EV.