Thread: Hello! (New member) and question about upgrading my CVCX

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Hello! (New member) and question about upgrading my CVCX

Hello all.

I live in OK and have been playing AP blackjack for a full year now (with good success thus far. After 225-250 hours of play I have ground a $5K BR into a little over $12.5K.)

Currently I have only the basic package of CVCX (which for my beginner days has been than more than sufficient.) It has provided me with the optimal spread maxing out at two hands. Though my bankroll has grown quite a bit, I'm still not ready to make any sizable increase in my max bet just yet. It's important to me to keep within a 1-2 % ROR now that I am ABLE to (when I first began I was playing around 5% or slightly more.) I am, however, getting really interested in checking out the effects on my EV and ROR of opening my spread to three hands, rather than upsizing my max bets on two hands.

The basic CVCX only allows sims of two hands, so I probably need to upgrade at LEAST to the CVBJ. Even if for no other reason than the practice programs it contains. But does CVBJ allow for simming of three-handed play at all? Or would I need to upgrade all the way to CVData? My other question to add to that is-- would either version allow me to crunch numbers on a style of play in which I were to always play two hands, even in minus counts?

Quote Originally Posted by hippiegambler View Post
    Hello all.

I live in OK and have been playing AP blackjack for a full year now (with good success thus far. After 225-250 hours of play I have ground a $5K BR into a little over $12.5K.)

Currently I have only the basic package of CVCX (which for my beginner days has been than more than sufficient.) It has provided me with the optimal spread maxing out at two hands. Though my bankroll has grown quite a bit, I'm still not ready to make any sizable increase in my max bet just yet. It's important to me to keep within a 1-2 % ROR now that I am ABLE to (when I first began I was playing around 5% or slightly more.) I am, however, getting really interested in checking out the effects on my EV and ROR of opening my spread to three hands, rather than upsizing my max bets on two hands.

The basic CVCX only allows sims of two hands, so I probably need to upgrade at LEAST to the CVBJ. Even if for no other reason than the practice programs it contains. But does CVBJ allow for simming of three-handed play at all? Or would I need to upgrade all the way to CVData? My other question to add to that is-- would either version allow me to crunch numbers on a style of play in which I were to always play two hands, even in minus counts?
    My $.02 worth, apparently not worth much according to some, so take with grain of salt. From what you’re describing, stay with what you’re doing - for several reasons.
    1. You’re currently playing low stakes and not capturing much attention
    2. Playing 3 hands will capture more attention even though you’re playing low stakes
    3. You haven’t stated, but you are inferring decent to good local conditions
    4. You've managed to grind good growth, playing 3 hands can crush you during a bad run
    5. You don’t need CVdata from what you’re describing - CVCX will do it for you
    6. Optimal spreads with 3 hands or 2 with higher stakes does attract more attention
    7. You’ve apparently learned much, but still not enough to go venturing into higher orbits.

For what it’s worth, my red chip local days had such good conditions with little heat, I stayed there until red chip conditions deteriorated at which time my bankroll hit a monstrous (for red chip) 85k - regardless of stakes, I sleep at night with very low ROR. Playing at higher ROR might cause you worry on some hands and accordingly not making the right decision on max or super max bets

Blog Entries

CVBJ handles up to six hands, but for practice only. CVData sims up to seven hands, but no practice.
    Last edited by Norm; 07-11-2022 at 03:02 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse