Thread: How bad of a play was this?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

How bad of a play was this?

I had a true count through the roof the other day. I got destroyed, losing about 20 max bets. The true count danced around +10 through +15. I did 2 deviations that I wasn't totally sure on. I stood on a 15 vs. 7 and I doubled a A,5 vs. 2. For the latter the true count was closer to +15. I swore there was an index for that but it's not even listed as having one! I guess I should stop being trigger happy with the devictions when I have max bets out. Obviously Im looking to get as much money on the table as can be justified by the math. I would say this is one of my biggest weaknesses as a player.

When in doubt, use BS.

don't guess at indexes, if you don't know it, use basic strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    don't guess at indexes, if you don't know it, use basic strategy.
    Agree. And the $ belongs in front of the number. Are you European?

With 5/6 pen, what was running count when shoe ended. It's possible all of the goodies were behind the cut card, which translates into no advantage. Also, refresh yourself on difference between EV maximizing indexes, and risk averse indexes. A6v2 is EV maximizing for example, to stand 15v7 requires an absolute monster.

Soft doubles v2, even though occasionally justified, are marginal at the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatian View Post
    Using hi low on a H17 das 6D game with 5/6 pen. The index for A,6 vs 2 is only +1 so I thought A,5 would have one too just probably very high.
    It does have an index. I just looked it up in my just bought Kindle version of Professional Blackjack. It is in Appendix A table 2 location number 4983 out of 5450. Heck, I didn't even have to leave my computer to look it up. It took only seconds.

By the way, the index for A5 vs 2 using hi-low is +15.

The index for 15 vs 7 using hi-low is +10
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 07-21-2018 at 01:15 PM.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    With 5/6 pen, what was running count when shoe ended. It's possible all of the goodies were behind the cut card, which translates into no advantage. Also, refresh yourself on difference between EV maximizing indexes, and risk averse indexes. A6v2 is EV maximizing for example, to stand 15v7 requires an absolute monster.

Soft doubles v2, even though occasionally justified, are marginal at the best of times.
    What is the point of this statement about the goodies being behind and no advantage? He had an advantage, you cant look back and say he didnt once you notice that all the goodies were behind the cut card. Sure if you knew it before betting, but you dont.

Quote Originally Posted by blueman View Post
    What is the point of this statement about the goodies being behind and no advantage? He had an advantage, you cant look back and say he didnt once you notice that all the goodies were behind the cut card. Sure if you knew it before betting, but you dont.
    1. Simply explaining 1 plausible scenario why he got the shit kicked out of him.
    2. If 1 above is correct, then he had no advantage, regardless of the count, though this result would be part and parcel of an overall sim.
    3. Not saying here, but sometimes you know the approximate order of the remaining composition.
    4. And as we all know, if remaining composition is evenly distributed, shit happens.

The index for 15 vs 7 using hi-low is +10

To stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    To stand?
    Yes.

A number in a table means different things, depending on where you are in the table. It means stand, double down, split, or surrender if your count per deck is the number or more. If your count per deck is lower than a number in the table, then hit, do not double down, do not split, or do not surrender. If a number is followed by an asterisk, the usual meaning is reversed.

Wong, Stanford. Professional Blackjack (Kindle Locations 4964-4966). PiYee Press. Kindle Edition.