So I've been playing about weekly for a few months with an eye on maybe turning this into a side income. Pretty comfortable with hi-lo count, using Ill 18 and Fab 4 but no other deviations.

Last night my brain abandoned me for a moment and I waved off taking a card on 14 v. 10 (TC was about +1). That's bad enough, but here's what's worse: immediately realizing my mistake, I tried to signal for a hit, but I was on 3rd base and the dealer had already flipped up her hole card - a 4. Of course, had I known she had a 4 in the hole, standing would have been the right play, so I should have been glad of my mistake! But had she offered to let me hit after all, even with the hole card up, I believe I'd have accepted another card! I was so wrapped up in the mistake I made, I didn't realize my good fortune.

The blackjack gods seemed to send me a message as the dealer drew a 7 to her 14... a 7 which should have been drawn to MY 14 - earning me the animosity of the other losing players at the table.

The EV I cost myself with the mistake was only about 8% of my bet, but I've been beating myself up over it ever since.

Is this the sort of dumb mistake that gets you benched on a team or does this stuff occasionally "happen to the best of us?"

Worth noting: if I had been playing on a team and did this, I'd fess up and pay the team 8% of whatever my bet was to pay back the lost EV. Also worth noting I've never done anything this dumb before.