Thread: Best box

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Best box

I've had plenty of discussions recently with my ap pal who insists you are always better off playing the first box when there is more than one player at the table.
    He can't give me a valid reason for it and I believe he is wrong.
    The only time it might work is if the dealer is in the habit of inadvertently flashing the hole card or going too fast and pulling the next card out of the shoe. In some jurisdictions if the next card is inadvertently revealed the player would get the card and if that happened to be an ace or a ten-value that would, of course, give the player a big advantage.
    As far as I can see, that is the only circumstance in which it would pay to be on the first box.
    Surely, in a normal game where the dealer makes no mistakes you are slightly better off being at third base -, especially in single- or double-deck - as you have seen more cards before having to make your decision?

I agree with your synopsis. Sitting in the middle however, allows for table scanning without having to strain your neck. Further, 3rd base can be problematic with some dealers who handle the cards in such a way, that missing the card values is a real issue.

Just to clarify, missing card values at first base, from third.
    Last edited by Freightman; 07-02-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Adding last comment

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesblack View Post
    I've had plenty of discussions recently with my ap pal who insists you are always better off playing the first box when there is more than one player at the table.
    He can't give me a valid reason for it and I believe he is wrong.
    The only time it might work is if the dealer is in the habit of inadvertently flashing the hole card or going too fast and pulling the next card out of the shoe. In some jurisdictions if the next card is inadvertently revealed the player would get the card and if that happened to be an ace or a ten-value that would, of course, give the player a big advantage.
    As far as I can see, that is the only circumstance in which it would pay to be on the first box.
    Surely, in a normal game where the dealer makes no mistakes you are slightly better off being at third base -, especially in single- or double-deck - as you have seen more cards before having to make your decision?
    Undoubtedly, your friend is invoking the time-honored, completely wrong, logic that, by playing the first box, if there's a good count, you'll have first shot at the good cards before they all are dealt out and are no longer available by the time they get to you at third base or somewhere else to the left of first base.

Naturally, that isn't rue, but it's almost surely what your friend is thinking. Just ask him. But I already know his answer. :-)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post

Naturally, that isn't rue, but it's almost surely what your friend is thinking.

Don
    Don, very sloppy. You should take more pride in the accuracy of the written word

Don has me hungry for a good thick and buttery bechamel. If that isn't rue, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Don, very sloppy. You should take more pride in the accuracy of the written word
    You should know how I type. Original was: that isn'true. Spaced after the t, to produce isn't rue. Never fixed the rest.

Sorry.

Don

I have always preferred sitting in the second or third seat because it allows me a direct line of sight to the discard rack. Am I decreasing my playing efficiency by not sitting third base?

Quote Originally Posted by minbet View Post
    Am I decreasing my playing efficiency by not sitting third base?
    Barely

I came up on single deck games eons ago and always sat at third base. We didn't have those nice charts back then but we somehow knew. I still sit there even though I play shoe games now and it matters much less.

Some would argue that pits, counter catchers and surveillance give third base players more scrutiny. I have never had any action taken against me for sitting there but how would I really know?

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    Undoubtedly, your friend is invoking the time-honored, completely wrong, logic that, by playing the first box, if there's a good count, you'll have first shot at the good cards before they all are dealt out and are no longer available by the time they get to you at third base or somewhere else to the left of first base.

Naturally, that isn't rue, but it's almost surely what your friend is thinking. Just ask him. But I already know his answer. :-)

Don

I haven't had the chance to speak again with my friend but I guess you are right, Don. He is thinking that he is more likely to get the money cards but as we know those good cards could be anywhere.