See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Cover plays

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Cover plays

You find yourself one weekday morning at a $25 DD game that is deeply dealt and 20 minutes later, just spreading 1-5, you are up a couple hundred dollars (count has not really gone up more than TC 1 much) but luck has been on your side.

The place is empty, the lone elderly pit guy comes to the table and starts making general conversation with you and the dealer (seems like they are buddies) while observing the game. Since no other table has anyone playing, it's unlikely he would leave for a while. Hopefully the pros here (course, the obsessed one will try to make it about me) can advise on cover plays. The act is important (you can joke, converse) but are there cover plays to use. Insure all dealer Ace, play mostly basic strategy, maybe occasionally place a side bet? What's the advice?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I have what you are looking for but I have no advice for you. I am not sure it is wise to advertise them anyway. Before long they will be known as a stereotypical counting play like only raising your bet after a win and lower it after a loss became after enough books advised it for counters.

That can be a difficult situation; i.e., playing heads up and being the focus of attention on a slow day - having to engage the PC in more than just a brief conversation. Those aren't good conditions. In fact, I would probably engage the PC in conversation and flat bet until he (she) walked away. If it goes on for more than one shoe, then I'm off to the bathroom.

As for playing cover - that's way overrated. Most dealers and PCs don't even know basic strategy well, and they're also used to seeing everything. So IMHO, you're usually throwing away money if you drop your index plays (other than the most egregious ones such as splitting 10s and hitting 12 v. 5 and 6). It's like they say in poker - it doesn't do you any good to think on the third level when you're opponent is thinking on the first level.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    That can be a difficult situation; i.e., playing heads up and being the focus of attention on a slow day - having to engage the PC in more than just a brief conversation. Those aren't good conditions. In fact, I would probably engage the PC in conversation and flat bet until he (she) walked away. If it goes on for more than one shoe, then I'm off to the bathroom.

As for playing cover - that's way overrated. Most dealers and PCs don't even know basic strategy well, and they're also used to seeing everything. So IMHO, you're usually throwing away money if you drop your index plays (other than the most egregious ones such as splitting 10s and hitting 12 v. 5 and 6). It's like they say in poker - it doesn't do you any good to think on the third level when you're opponent is thinking on the first level.
    Excellent post! I agree with you on splitting 10s, but I was surprised you included hitting 12 vs 5 and 6 as egregious deviations. I’ve always used these deviations. I’ve found they make me look more like a ploppy, especially when I get a 10 and bust. The table goes crazy...and I alway apologize saying I felt a 9 was coming.

The ones I don’t use as often is doubling soft 19 vs 4, 5, 6 in a high count with the pit boss watching. These make you look like a counter because usually my big bet is out there and I’m probably getting a high card.

I use all negative deviations since my min bet is out there and they make me look like a random player.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    ZeeBabar,

Here's a simple suggestion for you: simply hold your two cards in your hand, look the PC right in the eye, and chat. Keep chatting (and not playing) as long as he wants to continue. He'll quickly discern that, as long as he stands there chatting, the game will not move at all.

If he leaves briefly, then returns, simply give him another dose... think Pepto-Bismol.

This technique works even better if you are NOT heads-up.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand

I simply keep counting while engaged in conversation. I recall once making negative index plays, and the games manager said "you hit your 12 v 5". I did?, I commented. It was the proper play.

Suits have this belief, rightfully so in most cases, that a counter can't count while talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    ZeeBabar,

Here's a simple suggestion for you: simply hold your two cards in your hand, look the PC right in the eye, and chat. Keep chatting (and not playing) as long as he wants to continue. He'll quickly discern that, as long as he stands there chatting, the game will not move at all.

If he leaves briefly, then returns, simply give him another dose... think Pepto-Bismol.

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    That's a good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Hand View Post
    ZeeBabar,

Hope this helps!

Dog Hand
    +1