See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh What a Hopeless Devastated Feeling

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Oh What a Hopeless Devastated Feeling

A while ago, I was playing blackjack with my max bet out. I lost the hand. I decided to put out a super max bet and win it back. I went to table max which was a 100% increase in bet size. To my shock I got a pretty good double down hand. I wasn't expecting this to happen, and for a second was actually thinking of doing a Zee and not doubling. However, I did double the hand.

Okay, it seems like it this situation I always get the Ace, but not this time. It was a little card and all I could do is watch the dealer turn over her weak pat hand and scoop up my money. I was devastated. I very seldom make these super max bets and losing two of them on a double meant this trip was doomed. Oh, what a hopeless feeling.

On reflection, I don't think I should of went to a 100% increase. Maybe a 30% to 50% increase could be justified.

PS. What seemed like a hopeless session after that huge loss actually ended in the black after 11 hours of playing.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    A while ago, I was playing blackjack with my max bet out. I lost the hand. I decided to put out a super max bet and win it back. I went to table max which was a 100% increase in bet size. To my shock I got a pretty good double down hand. I wasn't expecting this to happen, and for a second was actually thinking of doing a Zee and not doubling. However, I did double the hand.

Okay, it seems like it this situation I always get the Ace, but not this time. It was a little card and all I could do is watch the dealer turn over her weak pat hand and scoop up my money. I was devastated. I very seldom make these super max bets and losing two of them on a double meant this trip was doomed. Oh, what a hopeless feeling.

On reflection, I don't think I should of went to a 100% increase. Maybe a 30% to 50% increase could be justified.

PS. What seemed like a hopeless session after that huge loss actually ended in the black after 11 hours of playing.
    The Dipshit, known as DBS6582, will be happy to provide you with some useless advice and commentary. My comment is simply, that shit happens, and provided the doubled up steamer was within your comfort zone - don't sweat it.

Using a dual ramp system, Ive end up in that hurtful situation from time to time, but as long as your balls don't tighten up, stay loose and keep slapping against your thigh, your composure will remain intact, and good things will once again come your way.

Now, as far as that quick hit and run 11 hour session - consider the concept of letting he house win the occasional session.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Yep. Probably less than 50%. But that depends on your risk tolerance.
    I hope you understand why what you described could be a very bad thing, in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Now, as far as that quick hit and run 11 hour session - consider the concept of letting he house win the occasional session.

When you decided to super max was your bet size appropriate according to your bankroll size and Kelly, or were you betting your super max on tilt?

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The Dipshit, known as DBS6582, will be happy to provide you with some useless advice and commentary. My comment is simply, that shit happens, and provided the doubled up steamer was within your comfort zone - don't sweat it.

Using a dual ramp system, Ive end up in that hurtful situation from time to time, but as long as your balls don't tighten up, stay loose and keep slapping against your thigh, your composure will remain intact, and good things will once again come your way.

Freightman, why are knocking DBS6582 on a thread he has not posted on? Reminds me of an obsessed guy who used to bring my name up every forum I was on whether I posted or not. Atleast, you do say something relevent to the OP. Ease up or you look bad for being nasty.

martingale is not as bad as it seems, when you have the edge.. but for some reason there tends to be some statistical bias that for equivalent plus count, win follows win,and loss follows loss more often than it should, have noticed it being the case for some reason in my experience. for whatever reason the sequence of deck is good cards dealer and bad cards your spot, better to wait it out then martingale into it even though count is high, so i tend to feel more comfortable parlaying my max bet when count is still high, instead of increasing it after a loss when count high. most would say stick to your system and dont deviate oh well to each there own, i personally play with a bit of feel and not so rigidly. I get that their math would claim what i just described is bogus and they give no consideration to discard order or possibility of asms being biased, or hell cheating dealer, and im not claiming they are, i just know from my own experience, certain deck sequences can stay in bad streaks longer than would be expected and martingale into them even with monster count would be painful.

streaks of losing 4+ max bets in a row happen in some shoes (talkn dd) and so if you do max bet, supermax, max, max, etc... make sure its an amount your comfortable losing. I would also avoid borderline doubles and splitting 8s in such situation and recal risk adverse indices. supermax prolly means monster count which would put you past the index for splitting 8. and late surrender would be nice in such situation all the way to hard 14s.
    Last edited by hypercube; 05-27-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Freightman, why are knocking DBS6582 on a thread he has not posted on? Reminds me of an obsessed guy who used to bring my name up every forum I was on whether I posted or not. Atleast, you do say something relevent to the OP. Ease up or you look bad for being nasty.
    He will present a non sensical position to create controversy. Then, more ridiculous posts to support the original ridiculous position, thus, the accurate commentary.

Zee, retention skills would assist you in.putting the pieces together, as to who does what, when they do it, and how it's done
    Last edited by Freightman; 05-27-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: To correct an auto correct, which totally distorted meaning, though it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by hypercube View Post
    martingale is not as bad as it seems, when you have the edge.. but for some reason there tends to be some statistical bias that for equivalent plus count, win follows win,and loss follows loss more often than it should, have noticed it being the case for some reason in my experience. for whatever reason the sequence of deck is good cards dealer and bad cards your spot, better to wait it out then martingale into it even though count is high, so i tend to feel more comfortable parlaying my max bet when count is still high, instead of increasing it after a loss when count high. most would say stick to your system and dont deviate oh well to each there own, i personally play with a bit of feel and not so rigidly. I get that their math would claim what i just described is bogus and they give no consideration to discard order or possibility of asms being biased, or hell cheating dealer, and im not claiming they are, i just know from my own experience, certain deck sequences can stay in bad streaks longer than would be expected and martingale into them even with monster count would be painful.

streaks of losing 4+ max bets in a row happen in some shoes (talkn dd) and so if you do max bet, supermax, max, max, etc... make sure its an amount your comfortable losing. I would also avoid borderline doubles and splitting 8s in such situation and recal risk adverse indices. supermax prolly means monster count which would put you past the index for splitting 8. and late surrender would be nice in such situation all the way to hard 14s.
    Provided bankroll can handle it regarding max, super max, super super max etc., right idea, wrong wording. The concept, not for the faint of heart, is to make you look like a progression bettor, not a martingale. Consider a double ramp, floating between the 2 ramps. Your comment suggesting your own desire to be inconsistent, is ideal for this gambit.

If this appears vague and obtuse - done so on purpose.
    Last edited by Freightman; 05-27-2018 at 04:07 PM.

for a second was actually thinking of doing a Zee and not doubling.
    Your play was much better than what our resident forum idiot troll would do. Not doubling is better than doubling for less because you are not restricting yourself to one card with a sub-optimal bet increase.

On reflection, I don't think I should of went to a 100% increase.
    Oy, two grammatical errors in one short phrase. I don't think I should HAVE GONE Your welcome, Don.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    "Oy, two grammatical errors in one short phrase. I don't think I should HAVE GONE."

Yes, I cringed and moved on."Your [You're] welcome, Don."

Sigh. And you were doing so well!!

Don

Quote Originally Posted by hitthat16 View Post
    When you decided to super max was your bet size appropriate according to your bankroll size and Kelly, or were you betting your super max on tilt?
    Bankroll is never a concern. I can easily make a six figure bankroll anytime I want without touching my 401(k) assets. Trip bankroll wasn't a concern either as I had 20 super max bets with me. What was a concern was that hopeless devastating feeling of being down so much without enough time to recover.

Bankroll is never a concern. I can easily make a six figure bankroll anytime I want without touching my 401(k) assets. Trip bankroll wasn't a concern either as I had 20 super max bets with me. What was a concern was that hopeless devastating feeling of being down so much without enough time to recover.
    These feelings are all part of the game and sort the men from the boys; those that go on tilt from those that can handle the feelings of devastation and hopelessness. If you can't recover psychologically then perhaps this isn't the game for you. But it seems you have recovered, so welcome to the team....

Blackjack, at least card counting BJ, is a weird game. If you have the bankroll, then there are no problems. There's always time to catch up, whether that's the rest of "this session" or next session or next week or year. It's pointless to try to end a session or trip or some other time period up. If I go somewhere to play, I'm not just going to quit early because I'm ahead and lock in a win. If I'm doing that, then why ever play again if I'm not willing to play more now (excluding reasons for heat or similar). Of course, it may be psychologically beneficial to book some wins or quit early when you're losing so you don't have a super big loss.

Of course, I've had plenty of sessions where in the first few minutes I'll be up 5+ max bets....then by the end of the session I'll be down 5 max bets. Or I'll start off in a deep hole, thinking it's "impossible" to climb out, then I'll end up with a nice win. Hell, it only takes a round or two to get way up or for the dealer to pull a 21 and you're way behind.

Take the losses and the wins in stride. Unfortunately that's easier said than done.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast