See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betting Ramp Changes Based on Depth of Shoe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Betting Ramp Changes Based on Depth of Shoe

Being a newbie, I'm just wondering if anyone makes changes to their betting ramps based on current penetration in the shoe? Example, if CVCX optimum bet shows to bet 5x at TC=1, that CVCX derived statistic covers the entire shoe range (i.e. early on, and late into the shoe). However, TC=1 is statistically more accurate late into the shoe than early on. Just wondering what adjustments anyone's made for that. Thanks in advance. -Nascent

Quote Originally Posted by Nascent Norm View Post
    Being a newbie, I'm just wondering if anyone makes changes to their betting ramps based on current penetration in the shoe? Example, if CVCX optimum bet shows to bet 5x at TC=1, that CVCX derived statistic covers the entire shoe range (i.e. early on, and late into the shoe). However, TC=1 is statistically more accurate late into the shoe than early on. Just wondering what adjustments anyone's made for that. Thanks in advance. -Nascent
    It's not a question of the count's being more "accurate"; it's a question of the fact that, deeper into the shoe, the same true count confers a greater advantage than at the beginning.

See the entire "Floating Advantage" chapter of BJA3.

Don

Thanks Don. I was able to quickly get a copy of BJA2 (not 3) but assume the tables / data haven't changed. First, let me say very impressive work that you and Professor Gwynn accomplished. Second, I (like you when you published the Floating Advantage results) am surprised by the results. Setting aside the zero and negative counts (tables 6.12, 6.13, 6.14, 6.15; 4.5/6 decks), the positive counts appear to have a detrimental effect late into the shoe. Example; Table 6.13 reveals at TC=3 the Per Hand Contribution is + 0.040 at 0-4deck range, but drops later in the shoe to + 0.006 at 4.0-4.25 and 4.25-4.50 ranges. This is counter-intuitive to my general belief that high counts are more favorable later in the shoe. OR, am I reading the data incorrectly?

Quote Originally Posted by Nascent Norm View Post
    Thanks Don. I was able to quickly get a copy of BJA2 (not 3) but assume the tables / data haven't changed. First, let me say very impressive work that you and Professor Gwynn accomplished. Second, I (like you when you published the Floating Advantage results) am surprised by the results. Setting aside the zero and negative counts (tables 6.12, 6.13, 6.14, 6.15; 4.5/6 decks), the positive counts appear to have a detrimental effect late into the shoe. Example; Table 6.13 reveals at TC=3 the Per Hand Contribution is + 0.040 at 0-4deck range, but drops later in the shoe to + 0.006 at 4.0-4.25 and 4.25-4.50 ranges. This is counter-intuitive to my general belief that high counts are more favorable later in the shoe. OR, am I reading the data incorrectly?
    You don't want to look at the per-hand contributions, which are also a function of the frequencies of the hands/counts. Rather, you want to look at the per-hand expectations. More often than not, these increase for the same true count, as we go deeper into the shoe -- but not always. Simply due to sampling size and randomness earlier in the shoe, these just aren't monotonic functions; that is, they jump around a bit. But, when you get to the 5-deck or deeper level, the increases are general and pronounced.

Don

P.S. You really do need to have BJA3, not BJA2.

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    P.S. You really do need to have BJA3, not BJA2.
    Some of us want BJA4!
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galvin View Post
    Some of us want BJA4!
    What do you want in it that isn't already in BJA3?

Don

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    What do you want in it that isn't already in BJA3?

Don
    I've got a suggestion

Hi
    I've noticed this effect a lot. I re-read Chapter 6 "The Floating Advantage" and found it fascinating, as usual. Unless I'm missing it, I can't see a discussion of WHY this happens.
    Also, did you compare the per-hand expectations from only the first 1/4 deck of the shoe to the PHE for the last 1/4 deck? If so, would it show a bigger difference than comparing the entire shoe to the last 1/4 deck? That might, at least, show that I'm not crazy for noticing that the 0-3 positive TCs work out better at the end.

Thanks!
    SiMi
    Last edited by SiMi; 03-24-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: left out question mark

Quote Originally Posted by SiMi View Post
    Hi
    I've noticed this effect a lot. I re-read Chapter 6 "The Floating Advantage" and found it fascinating, as usual. Unless I'm missing it, I can't see a discussion of WHY this happens.
    Also, did you compare the per-hand expectations from only the first 1/4 deck of the shoe to the PHE for the last 1/4 deck? If so, would it show a bigger difference than comparing the entire shoe to the last 1/4 deck? That might, at least, show that I'm not crazy for noticing that the 0-3 positive TCs work out better at the end.

Thanks!
    SiMi
    An excellent question. Sorry, just getting up, so short answer - good observation, especially at true 0. Further answer - you're definitely not crazy.

Just to clarify, fliating advantage rears its lovely head in deeply dealt shoes - towards the end. Also, Don stated in a recent post, that advantage gained per true count increases in the latter parts of a shoe.

Hi, FM
    Thanks for the sanity check! Yep, that's exactly what I've been observing. The OP suggests (perhaps) that one adopt a two-tier bet ramp. The first tier is used early on and it is less aggressive, more toward flat. The 2nd tier kicks in if you have a deeply dealt shoe for some reason and the TC begins to eke its way up from 0. The PHE Don shows in chapter 6 is very interesting because the effect at TC = 0 to +3 seems to be much bigger than the effect at TC = +3 to +>=5. Again, this is what I've been seeing for years.

Thanks for your feedback!
    SiMi

Hi, FM
    Thanks for the sanity check! Yep, that's exactly what I've been observing. The OP suggests (perhaps) that one adopt a two-tier bet ramp. The first tier is used early on and it is less aggressive, more toward flat. The 2nd tier kicks in if you have a deeply dealt shoe for some reason and the TC begins to eke its way up from 0. The PHE Don shows in chapter 6 is very interesting because the effect at TC = 0 to +3 seems to be much bigger than the effect at TC = +3 to +>=5. Again, this is what I've been seeing for years.

Thanks for your feedback!
    SiMi
    You're not describing a 2 tiered ramp. What you are describing is simply increasing an existing ramp as you go deeper in the shoe.

I use a 2 tiered ramp, and it has nothing to do with what you're describing.

Hi, FM
    Ok, thanks, I didn't realize the term "2 tiered ramp" was already taken. Can you share an example of what a 2 tier ramp is like?
    Also, is there a more concise term for "increasing an existing ramp as you go deeper in the shoe?" (IAERAYGDITS)
    Also, I don't see how to sim IAERAYGDITS in Norm's software. Are you aware of a way to do this?

Have a great weekend!
    SiMi

Hi, FM
    Ok, thanks, I didn't realize the term "2 tiered ramp" was already taken. Can you share an example of what a 2 tier ramp is like?
    Also, is there a more concise term for "increasing an existing ramp as you go deeper in the shoe?" (IAERAYGDITS)
    Also, I don't see how to sim IAERAYGDITS in Norm's software. Are you aware of a way to do this?

Have a great weekend!
    SiMi
    Refer to Dynamic Blackjack book for better understanding.

This is not the place to discuss two tiered ramp in any detail.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast