Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Counting Methods should I USE? ( 2DECKS)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mofungoo View Post
    I didn't quote anything from BJA3, I don't even have that book. What are you talking about, wonging a 2D game? That's not what was done in the article I quoted, it was play all. I will reiterate Don's assessment of the HiOpt I and agree with what he said - not worth the added effort.
    I still disagree that HI-LO is the best overall level one count system. It is not the best! Anybody wants to prove me wrong they can.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 02-17-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    It is not about switching count systems. What we are talking about is whether or not the standard Hi-Lo count is the best overall level 1 card counting system. The truth of the fact is that HI-LO does not beat every level one system out there. I do agree that HI-LO is a respectable count system but I never agree that HI-LO is the best overall card counting system.
    With any data I have seen, Hilo is at the top of level 1 counts. This does not mean it is at the top in all circumstances. It means it is at the top under more circumstances than any other level 1 count. It beats the unbalanced level 1 systems under nearly all conditions. What happens when these systems are true counted I don't know. Neither, apparently, do you.

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    BJA3 is a collection of his articles with more information added. The information and exact numbers you site are in a chart with header 62/104 H17 DAS ($won/100 observed, 0.95 factor). Charts for play all have the header ($ Won/100). All the other pages of wonging charts have wong in points after the win/100 number. The 1 and 2 deck charts that are in link to the article have the wonging header but no wong in point. A quick run to CVCX online tool here show the 1 to 6 with standard SCORE inputs that Don demanded win/100 is $27.16. This indicates Don's $30.36 is a wonging win/100 observed or sims are just inaccurate. I like to think it shows that the article uses wonging results.
    Well, you would be thinking wrong. Let's see what Don said about the $Won/100:

"Next - and we hope this will not be too problematic - we assumed, for the sake of easy comparison, that all games would be played at the rate of 100 hands played or seen per hour. The problem here is that, again, to be as realistic as possible, we put two players at the single deck games, three at double deck, and four at shoes. Well, it simply isn't true that the two-player games and the four player games will be played at the same speeds. Borrowing from the charts supplied by Stanford Wong, in Professional Blackjack (see, specifically, pp 234 and 237) we have attempted to suggest certain "factor adjustments" to the SCOREs provided in the charts. Next to each level of penetration is a number, such as 1.15 or 0.90, that represents our best estimate as to how the SCOREs might best be adjusted, by multiplying".

So that explains the lack of wong in numbers in the 2D charts. The 2D games weren't wonged. It also explains the ".95 factor" next to "62/104 H17 DAS" at the top of that chart.
    Last edited by mofungoo; 02-17-2013 at 07:09 PM.

For mofungoo
    You said "what happens when these systems are true counted I don't know. Neither, apparently, do you." I do know because some sims have been done in Modern Blackjack comparing some True Counted unbalanced count with HI-LO but somehow I believe that it is better to simulate unbalanced count fully with True Counts. In page 227 of Modern Blackjack Volume I second edition. It clearly states that the True count version of REKO does perform 7.5% better than HI-LO using the same number of index. Now tell is HI-LO still the best overall level one count system.
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8406Chart.gif
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8405Chart.gif
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8392Chart.gif

Last edited by seriousplayer; 02-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    For mofungoo
    You said "what happens when these systems are true counted I don't know. Neither, apparently, do you." I do know because some sims have been done in Modern Blackjack comparing some True Counted unbalanced count with HI-LO but somehow I believe that it is better to simulate unbalanced count fully with True Counts. In page 227 of Modern Blackjack Volume I second edition. It clearly states that the True count version of REKO does perform 7.5% better than HI-LO using the same number of index. Now tell is HI-LO still the best overall level one count system.
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8406Chart.gif
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8405Chart.gif
    http://www.qfit.com/Book/z8392Chart.gif

The only chart you provided that compared Hilo to true counted REKO was for a 6 deck game, and even so the graph lines are nearly on top of each other. That hardly means it is the best overall level 1 count. The title of this thread is "Which counting method should I USE (2DECKS)" For those games Hilo seems to be the leader of the level 1 counts, except with a 1-4 spread against HiOpt I which has a SCORE 5 cents higher. If it's victory in an argument you seek, send me your address and I will mail you the nickel

Yes but it doesn't explain why it SCORE is over 11% higher than CVCX same indices heads up using the same parameters unless of course they are for wonging.
    The SCOREs in question are clearly not for wonging, according to Don Schlesinger. Who wongs 2D games anyway? I have no idea what you did wrong in setting up your sim, I'll run one when I get back home to my desktop computer.

The SCOREs in question are clearly not for wonging, according to Don Schlesinger. Who wongs 2D games anyway? I have no idea what you did wrong in setting up your sim, I'll run one when I get back home to my desktop computer.
    I've only played DD once, and I wonged the living hell out of it for hours. Had a Uston lookalike at my table who seemed to believe in clumping, so he'd ask me to sit out until lots of small cards had come out and then happily fall back to one spot so I could eat his 'bad cards'. One of the more fun counting games I've played, except that I'm fairly sure by the end of the second hour that the elderly Vietnamese woman dealing to that table had me pegged.

That sort of disturbance is par for the course given the amount I've played, though. Except for my most recent play I always left thinking a dealer had made me and would dime me out. This has not been tested as I have yet to play the same store twice.
    "Wait a minute. How do you beat someone to death with their own skull? That doesn't seem physically possible." "That's what Jimmy kept screaming: 'This doesn't seem physically possible!'"

So are you saying Norm's software is wrong, producing results way off the actual or are you saying Don was wrong. Or is your position that sims have an 11% standard error range. For Norm's software to be right and Don's sim to be play all as well one of the above must be the answer to where the 11% discrepancy comes from. Unless of course Don's were for wonging as his header would imply.
    I'm not saying Norm or Don is wrong, I am saying it appears you did something wrong in the sim you ran. Don's sim that he ran for that game was for play-all. Once again, here is what the info on the header means:

"Next - and we hope this will not be too problematic - we assumed, for the sake of easy comparison, that all games would be played at the rate of 100 hands played or seen per hour. The problem here is that, again, to be as realistic as possible, we put two players at the single deck games, three at double deck, and four at shoes. Well, it simply isn't true that the two-player games and the four player games will be played at the same speeds. Borrowing from the charts supplied by Stanford Wong, in Professional Blackjack (see, specifically, pp 234 and 237) we have attempted to suggest certain "factor adjustments" to the SCOREs provided in the charts. Next to each level of penetration is a number, such as 1.15 or 0.90, that represents our best estimate as to how the SCOREs might best be adjusted, by multiplying".

The SCOREs for wonging all say so, and a wong-in count is given. That is clearly not the case with the 62/104 H17 DAS SCORE chart. Check the settings on your simulator, the ramps may not be correct or something like that.

The only chart you provided that compared Hilo to true counted REKO was for a 6 deck game, and even so the graph lines are nearly on top of each other. That hardly means it is the best overall level 1 count. The title of this thread is "Which counting method should I USE (2DECKS)" For those games Hilo seems to be the leader of the level 1 counts, except with a 1-4 spread against HiOpt I which has a SCORE 5 cents higher. If it's victory in an argument you seek, send me your address and I will mail you the nickel
    You are fortunate that I don't have CVDATA 5.0 since CVDATA 4.0 won't let me simulate unbalanced True Counts and nobody wants to assist me in doing this simulation. When I get CVDATA 5.0 I will continue on the dispute with you. Since I am confidence that HI-LO is not the best level one card counting system neither is the other are the level one counts.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 02-18-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    TKO slightly edges out HiLo.
    Is that true in double deck?

Here is the telltale. He has charts for wonging and charts for playall. The play all are headed with "$won/100" the wonging charts are headed with "$won/100 observed". The stat you quote is from the "$won/100 observed" chart. The ambigous part is all other wonging charts also have wong in points. This chart bears some elements of the wonging charts. I wasn't referring to a sim I did in my last post it was CVCX online tool with Don's score parameters. He puts 3 players at the table and gets a higher SCORE by 11% than CVCX heads up with the same parameters. His sim with 2 extra spots played should perform worse not better. Wonging is the only explanation.

I actually went back over the inputs and I did make some mistakes in the standard SCORE inputs (I forget to set the ROR to Don's standard rather than the default on CVCX). The $won/100 using his inputs and CVCX online heads up 1 to 6 spread is $17.59/100 not Don's $30.36/100 with the handicap of 2 extra spots being played. That is a 72.6% increase in Don's sim over CVCX online with 2 fewer players at the table when the extra players should hurt the SCORE for Don's sim not help it. How could that not be a wonging chart for Don?
    The original SCORE article has "$Won/100, 0.95 factor" heading the SCORE chart for 62/104 H17 DAS with no "observed" mentioned. There was probably a typo when the charts were put into BJA3. In any event I left a message for Don to see if he could clarify that point, although I think we know the answer already - I just ran a sim on Statistical Blackjack Analyzer and got a SCORE of 31.25 for Hilo with a 1-6 spread, 3 players. The SCORE article gives that game a SCORE of 30.36.

With CVCX Online I got a win/100 for that game of 33.08 using Hi-Lo Full Indexes. The player number is unknown. Perhaps the different simulators calculate differently or there are rounding errors. I still don't know where that 17.59 number you got came from, that's waaaay out of line.

The number of players affects the $/hour because the additional players slow the game down. The difference when results are given in "Win/100" is not as great because you still win approximately the same amount over the same number of hands, it just takes longer time-wise. That's why Don used the multiplication coefficient, to get a SCORE/hour number.
    Last edited by mofungoo; 02-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast