Thread: Crazy heat at the Venetian - and I am not a PRO

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Crazy heat at the Venetian - and I am not a PRO

I was recently at the Venetian in Vegas and went down about $3k playing random games so I figured I would go into the big boys room and play with the best rules black jack - which of course was $200 min double deck. I bought in with 3k and played for about and hour with my palms sweating the whole time....it was either get back even to 6k or go home. I was the only one playing and there was not much action but the pit boss was down my throat watching every bet and plugging stuff into the computer every single hand. I am a novice and play basic strategy at best. I felt no such heat at MGM or Bellagio playing similar games. I was out of my comfort zone with $200 a hand but was able to get even and leave....what a feeling. I am still perplexed at the level of seriousness this room was giving to little ol me.... Anyone have any insight on the Venetian/Palazzo and why they sweat the small stuff?

I've had heat like that, and at much lower stakes. Someone was evaluating your game, so they also had a handle on your skill level. The other issue was your spread. At that level heat, skilled or not, with a 200 min bet, they won't like you putting out to much of a spread. How good was the cut - tied into your spread, would be the key as to WHEATHER you would get the boot or not.

The similar heat on dd that I got in Vegas, was a good rule nice cut $25 min game with a max spread of 1-5. I played it multiple times over a few years, unrated. I started with 1 critter, incessantly texting from his phone, hosts trying to get me carded, and always ended up with the pleasure of a second critter to relieve my boredom.

I just played non challantly as if they weren't there. Crushed them every time. Now, WHEATHER they were able to string together multiple visits, I don't know. Always seemed to get a different pair of critters.

Perhaps the real question is why you were playing with 'scared' money? The fact that you were "out of [your] comfort zone" is not a good sign.

You say you were the only one playing. Then I ask, "What else did the pit boss have to do other than watch you?"

In general, if the place is not busy, the pit critters will watch until they determine whether or not you are a risk. It's not the AMOUNT of dollars, but rather the threat level. You can play any bet amount with impunity if you are not perceived as a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by terry0222 View Post
    Perhaps the real question is why you were playing with 'scared' money? The fact that you were "out of [your] comfort zone" is not a good sign.

You say you were the only one playing. Then I ask, "What else did the pit boss have to do other than watch you?"

In general, if the place is not busy, the pit critters will watch until they determine whether or not you are a risk. It's not the AMOUNT of dollars, but rather the threat level. You can play any bet amount with impunity if you are not perceived as a threat.
    You've raised a good point that I forgot. He was playing above his comfort level, which may have easily affected his comportment, which could well have been picked up by the critter, which would have lead to higher level if scrutiny.

The HI limit at the Venetian is the Lion Den. They definitely evaluated your game, ran your face through their FRS and your name is all data bases. The Venetian also has dedicated surveillance staff for game protection, sort of blackjack hotline to evaluate any winning player and definitely every HL player. Since you were not counting, you had nothing to worry about in a smart place like that. If you won that 3k in a small joint, you might have been kicked out counting or not.

Am I the only one reading this correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    I am a novice and play basic strategy at best.
    It doesn’t sound like he’s counting. They might just sweat that game in general, but If he’s not counting, why would there be any threat of a BO; unless there was some other AP play being exploited? There wouldn’t...

... It was either get back even to 6K or go home.
    If he was counting, then I can’t express enough how bad of an idea it is to only come to the tables with 6K on $200 min table. Let’s say he’s using a “Zee Spread” and he’s pushing out 1 to 5 ($200-$1,000). That means he’s coming to the tables with only 6 top bets?! How many here have lost 6 max bets or more within a blink of an eye?? Everyone should be raising their hand.

Anyone have any insight on the Venetian/Palazzo and why they sweat the small stuff?
    Yes. Vegas is sweaty. Simple. But it doesn’t mean anything will come from it. If you were not executing any kind of AP play here, then you’ll be fine.

I read it the same way as you, Ryemo.

Bottom line to the OP - you were someone they didn't know. At those stakes, they wanted to be certain you were not playing with an edge. Feel free to send them a letter. You went there to have a good time, and you won't be back because they made you feel uncomfortable.
    Last edited by 21forme; 12-20-2017 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Quick - fix the typo before Dons sees it!

Banned or Suspended

Betting
    Black in L.V. triggers an automatic
    "skills check" for those not in
    the database.