See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: I was just reading in Exh: CAA that you essentially if you play 6:5 BJ.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

I was just reading in Exh: CAA that you essentially if you play 6:5 BJ.

That if you take insurance bet then the bet is 2/5 and not 1/2. Is that due to that they might only give you even dollar amounts for your bets?

(I don't want a flame war on not to play 6:5!!! OK?? I was just reading it in passing.!!)
    My Ability in Blackjack is a Gift from God!!

The 6 to 5 tables I have seen you still can take insurance for 1/2 your bet.

Might be some more of Grosjean's humor.

Here's what he said:

[If you ever happen to play 6:5 "blackjack ," a bastardized single-deck game now prevalent in Las
    Ve gas, and you have a $5 wager riding on a natural against an Ace up, tell the dealer, "Just gimme
    $4.'' I'll wager any sum that there is not a single dealer (or pit boss) in Las Ve gas who has figured
    out that an insurance wager i = (2/5)b will produce a guarant eed payoff of (4/5)b, which would be
    $4 on a $5 wager.]

probably not a great idea to show off how smart u r to the pitboss

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    probably not a great idea to show off how smart u r to the pitboss
    But why the 2/5 instead of the 1/2?

Quote Originally Posted by BigJer View Post
    Here's what he said:

[If you ever happen to play 6:5 "blackjack ," a bastardized single-deck game now prevalent in Las
    Ve gas, and you have a $5 wager riding on a natural against an Ace up, tell the dealer, "Just gimme
    $4.'' I'll wager any sum that there is not a single dealer (or pit boss) in Las Ve gas who has figured
    out that an insurance wager i = (2/5)b will produce a guarant eed payoff of (4/5)b, which would be
    $4 on a $5 wager.]
    Insurance at full amount pays $5 so you but if the dealer doesn't have BJ you win $6 and lose $2.50 for a net win of $3.50. If you place the insurace bet at 1/2 your bet you either win $5 if the dealer has BJ or win $3.50 if he doesn't. If you want to win the same whether the dealer has BJ or not you bet $2 so you win $4 whether the dealer has BJ or not.

I don't know what's wrong with me today, but I'm not getting this.

Do you have the page number, Jer?

Quote Originally Posted by therefinery View Post
    i don't know what's wrong with me today, but i'm not getting this.

Do you have the page number, jer?
    p. 203.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    Insurance at full amount pays $5 so you but if the dealer doesn't have BJ you win $6 and lose $2.50 for a net win of $3.50. If you place the insurace bet at 1/2 your bet you either win $5 if the dealer has BJ or win $3.50 if he doesn't. If you want to win the same whether the dealer has BJ or not you bet $2 so you win $4 whether the dealer has BJ or not.

Got it. Thanks. I keep forgetting that when you have a question work out each case.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    While, of course, this is correct, the question is, "Why would you want to do it?" In 3:2 BJ, when it's correct to insure, the payoff is identical either way. But, in 6:5 BJ, if you insure for half your $5 bet, the payoff is either $5 or $3.50. Since, by definition, you're only insuring when the chance that the dealer has a natural is greater than one-third, you ought to bet the full $2.50, which will make your ultimate e.v. greater than the certain $4 either way.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    While, of course, this is correct, the question is, "Why would you want to do it?" In 3:2 BJ, when it's correct to insure, the payoff is identical either way. But, in 6:5 BJ, if you insure for half your $5 bet, the payoff is either $5 or $3.50. Since, by definition, you're only insuring when the chance that the dealer has a natural is greater than one-third, you ought to bet the full $2.50, which will make your ultimate e.v. greater than the certain $4 either way.

Don
    I think everyone here was thinking that so I didn't think it needed stated.