See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharky's NFL play-o-the-weak 2017

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    it's funny how Eli's legacy never got tarnished. he got caught selling bogus memorabilia.

not to mention having quite a few horrible years.
    I didn't notice Eli had a legacy.

he won 2 Super Bowls. not many can claim that.
    SuperBowl wins are a team effort not an individual accomplishment. To put your comment in the proper perspective you say he played on 2 SuperBowl winning teams.

you are talking about semantics. a QB who led two teams to winning Super Bowls cannot be dismissed as being insignificant. he also threw a pass, the famous helmet catch, which was one of the greatest if not the greatest play in Super Bowl history. and if I remember correctly he played great in both games.
    So if I understand you right, John Elway and Peyton Manning would have no legacy if they didn't win SuperBowls in the last year they played since they never had won a SB prior to that? A QB's legacy is about what he gave to the community and how well he played given the supporting cast he was given. A QB can be great even if they never make the playoffs. All that post season stuff is a team effort. A great QB can be on a bad team and a bad QB can be on a great team. Lots of good QB's didn't win because they wanted to be why the team won and ended up more often why the team lost.

A great QB only cares about what will help the team win even if that means the glory goes to others. Look at the Ravens SuperBowl win with Trent Dilfer at QB. Most everyone would say all the QB's that preceded him and followed were better QB's but Dilfer would do what the team needed him to do so they had the best team. The others wanted the glory and the team suffered for it. They all said Dilfer couldn't throw deep because he never had to. All he had to do was get first downs and not turn the ball over and the defense and special teams would win the battle for field position and ultimately the game. Then in the SB the only thing the Giants' defense was leaving him was the deep ball. They thought he couldn't throw the deep ball because he hadn't needed to. As always, he could and did beat them doing just what the team needed him to do. Except this time it required him to throw deep. He did so successfully. Any of the other "better" QBs under center that year and the Ravens likely don't win the SB.
    Last edited by Three; 02-06-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Also, now you are saying that Elway and Peyton Manning won Superbowls, when you corrected me earlier for using the same language about Eli.

I'm out of here Mr. Three. I'm getting fatigued.
    I asked if that is what you were saying using the way you would have said it. I used the proper way of putting it in context even though I wouldn't put it that way.
    Your reference to Eli was "2 SB" wins. That is what I meant to type. Instead I typed "a SB". My bad. Anyway the Broncos won the SB the last 2 years Elway played. If he retires two years earlier would that affect how great a QB he was? The difference wasn't his skill got better in his last two seasons, it was because the Broncos were a better team those last 2 years.

Banned or Suspended

Debating Sports is silly. Dilly! Dilly!

Banned or Suspended

Gambler wins 400 times(!) his wager on crazy 9-way Super Bowl parlay

By Alex Myers February 5, 2018
    It's not quite the reported $5 million-plus won by the famed "Let it Ride" gambler on the Eagles, but another football fan pulled off a crazy 9-way Super Bowl parlay. One that made him/her 400 times(!) his original wager.
    If you don't know what a parlay is, it's a multiple-part bet that offers a big payout. The catch is that you have to get all the parts of the bet right in order to win. In this case, the gambler chose nine bets that had 50/50 odds, ranging from the spread of the game (Eagles +4.5) to Tom Brady's total passing yards being an odd number (He wound up throwing for 505 yards in the loss). Basically, he correctly called nine coin flips in a row to make nearly $6,000 on a $15 wager. Check it out:

Here is a $15 9-Leg #ParlayCard that cashed for $6,000 at the William Hill Sports Book inside @winnemuccainn when #FlyEaglesFly won #SB52

Not too shabby. The craziest part is that this mystery gambler had to sweat out six of these nine bets right down to the last play of the game, a 49-yard Hail Mary attempt by Brady. In any event, his/her love of odd numbers really paid off.

New England Patriots is going off as +500 favorite already in Superbowl 53 for the 2018 season. Topping the Philadelphia Eagles once again regardless of the lost in Superbowl 52. Could anyone explain to me why New England is a Superbowl favorite again even though they lost in Superbowl 52? The Patriots is embarrassed they lost Superbowl 52 but there is still possibility for them to turn things around in Superbowl 53. Philadelphia Eagle fans are more horrible than Patriot fans.

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    Could anyone explain to me why New England is a Superbowl favorite again even though they lost in Superbowl 52?
    One of the hardest things to do in the NFL is win 2 SuperBowls in a row. That is because everyone expects to get paid. All the contracts that are up for renewal. You either lose a key piece of your team or you pay him a lot. If you pay him you have salary cap issues. Like I said before the Pats are among the best if not the best at doing the salary cap dance. The Eagles will be paying those that are up for contract renewal if they weren't smart enough to get all contracts resolved before they won the SB. I could go on for a while with more subtleties but the rules that assure relative parody in the NFL make it hard to field a great team year after year but the Pats have repeatedly shown they are one of the best at doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Three View Post
    I could go on for a while with more subtleties but the rules that assure relative parody in the NFL make it hard to field a great team year after year but the Pats have repeatedly shown they are one of the best at doing just that.
    Please say you did not cut your post short because of being intimidated by the pastry shopman from Canada, who is trying to influence how you write. Sorry, Three I am just joking.

One of the hardest things to do in the NFL is win 2 SuperBowls in a row. That is because everyone expects to get paid. All the contracts that are up for renewal. You either lose a key piece of your team or you pay him a lot. If you pay him you have salary cap issues. Like I said before the Pats are among the best if not the best at doing the salary cap dance. The Eagles will be paying those that are up for contract renewal if they weren't smart enough to get all contracts resolved before they won the SB. I could go on for a while with more subtleties but the rules that assure relative parody in the NFL make it hard to field a great team year after year but the Pats have repeatedly shown they are one of the best at doing just that.
    What you say make a little sense I could understand why the New England Patriots (from your opinion) would be a Superbowl favorite again for Superbowl 53. But not the Philadelphia Eagles because they didn't win or proof that they can win 2 Superbowls in a row yet and they are the second favorite after the Patriots?? The Eagles' salary cap for the 2018 season is in the red so that means they will need to trade players on their team to fix their salary cap. I am suspecting that the Philadelphia Eagle in 2018 would be the same as the team in 2017. So I don't see much change for the Philadelphia Eagles. I could see how the Eagles would have lost if the "tuck rule" is still in existence. The competition would be a more fierce competition in the 2018 season because other teams are taking on new quarterbacks and hiring new offensive coaches. So I don't see how the Eagles could be a second favorite to Superbowl 53. I don't see that the Eagles would win the NFC in the 2018 season, also. It is still early to predict the outcome for the 2018 season but I have an idea and impression of existence without certain proof that the Green Bay Packers may be the odds to win the NFC champion for the 2018 season. With their improved defense and quarterback Arron Rodgers I could see how Green Bay could top the Eagles to secure the #1 seed in the NFC.
    Last edited by seriousplayer; 02-08-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Banned or Suspended

"... relative parody in the NFL"
    Hmmm. Maybe a parody of your relatives could be a
    Broadway hit. Mine are all dead. Parody or Parity?
    Let me think just a bit.

This is where a spell-checker fails and a grammar-checker
    may fail as well. It is the reason that we SHOULD review
    what we write before posting. Some of us use dictation
    software, which all but demands that we review before
    we submit our posts.
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 02-08-2018 at 09:23 AM.

those Canadians are tough. think about living in -20 degrees 6 months of the year. they don't take any shit from Americanos. Eh?

Eh never gets tired.
    It's cold, and driving conditions are really shitty. I was supposed to put in 3-4 hours yesterday - was out only for the hour. So here I am, unmotivated for work, having just finished breakfast in my favourite brekkie joint (not the bakery), the joint where my AP friend usually loses the toss and I get a free lunch, which might be breakfast.

I want to goof off today. Good thing I'm the boss. Had to go out since wife was doing a Tahara. I called her to join me for tea, but she's getting her nails done. Such busy schedules. Which reminds me - haven't yet paid the house vig for my last trip.

As far as 3 goes, since he has said he will give me an unhelpful every time I mention the FBM ASC, 3, that was the FBM ASC, shall I repeat that - I've decided to respond in kind every time he engage's in excess verbosity.

As for the the 6 month good bad weather scenario, Canadian birth rates usually spike in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    It's cold, and driving conditions are really shitty. I was supposed to put in 3-4 hours yesterday - was out only for the hour. So here I am, unmotivated for work, having just finished breakfast in my favourite brekkie joint (not the bakery), the joint where my AP friend usually loses the toss and I get a free lunch, which might be breakfast.

I want to goof off today. Good thing I'm the boss. Had to go out since wife was doing a Tahara. I called her to join me for tea, but she's getting her nails done. Such busy schedules. Which reminds me - haven't yet paid the house vig for my last trip.

As far as 3 goes, since he has said he will give me an unhelpful every time I mention the FBM ASC, 3, that was the FBM ASC, shall I repeat that - I've decided to respond in kind every time he engage's in excess verbosity.

As for the the 6 month good bad weather scenario, Canadian birth rates usually spike in the fall.
    More I think of it, maybe MWP will put me up for a few days. I would look forward to improved driving conditions.

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast