See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True count calcs

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

True count calcs

What level of accuracy do you guys rrcommend for true count calculations using Hilo for 4/6/8 decks? Is to the nearest deck enough or should you really be aiming for half or even quarter deck estimations?

Also wondering what method people use to round their calc? eg if the exact TC is +/-1.33, do you make decisions using +/-1 or +/-2?

1 deck estimation is usually good enough. Half or quarter is better. I think the last couple decks it is good to be able to do half deck estimation.

Most people floor their TC calculations. By this, +/-1.33 would become -2 or +1. Some people round, making it +/-1. Truncating isn't as good because it creates a very large TC 0.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    1 deck estimation is usually good enough. Half or quarter is better. I think the last couple decks it is good to be able to do half deck estimation.

Most people floor their TC calculations. By this, +/-1.33 would become -2 or +1. Some people round, making it +/-1. Truncating isn't as good because it creates a very large TC 0.
    Half isnt too hard.

Fenix we are always the only ones posting in the early morning

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post

Thanks Fenix. So if I have 16v10, stand at index number 0, 7.5 decks remaining and RC -1 I should hit if using the floor method?

Why is the floor method the most popular?

16 vs T is a case where the index to stand is pretty much exactly zero. So close that you can just use the running count to make the decision.

Flooring a running count of -1 with 7.5 decks remaining gives a true count of -1. Either way, you would hit. Flooring means to adjust toward the next lowest integer. -0.1 floored is -1. 0.1 floored is 0.

For me flooring is easier because you don't need to do precise division in your head. X+somefraction = X. -(X+somefraction) = X - 1. With rounding, you need to know that the fraction is greater than or less than 0.5. As Fenix pointed out, truncating creates a double-sized TC=0 zone.

I also believe that flooring is more risk averse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post

Flooring also gives you the ability to extrapolate.

Banned or Suspended

Flooring rules!

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    For me flooring is easier because you don't need to do precise division in your head. X+somefraction = X. -(X+somefraction) = X - 1. With rounding, you need to know that the fraction is greater than or less than 0.5. As Fenix pointed out, truncating creates a double-sized TC=0 zone.

When i play 6 deckers, i estimate to the nearest half deck..So 1 deck in discard tray would look like 10/4..2 Decks in the tray= 8/8..3 1/2 decks= 5/14 etc *(the second number represents the Ace density)..

The way i calculate My TC is like, if my RC is +13 (3 1/2 decks are in the discard tray (5/14) i now divide by 5 for a TC of +2 3/5 and now x2 TC= +5...As long as the numerator is more than half the denominator i know you can add +1..Had my RC been +12 my TC would only be+4..

Im not sure what method this is but ive been using this for years and im really good at it..Sounds crazy i know lol..

Note:I use the RC for 12v4 and A2v5 as well..
    http://bjstrat.net/cgi-bin/cdca.cgi

half deck at least. especially later on in the shoe this will make a significant difference in your true count calculation. I do quarter deck personally although it's not too important to sweat it as blackjack decisions are fairly forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jackson View Post
    When i play 6 deckers, i estimate to the nearest half deck..So 1 deck in discard tray would look like 10/4..2 Decks in the tray= 8/8..3 1/2 decks= 5/14 etc *(the second number represents the Ace density)..

The way i calculate My TC is like, if my RC is +13 (3 1/2 decks are in the discard tray (5/14) i now divide by 5 for a TC of +2 3/5 and now x2 TC= +5...As long as the numerator is more than half the denominator i know you can add +1..Had my RC been +12 my TC would only be+4..

Im not sure what method this is but ive been using this for years and im really good at it..Sounds crazy i know lol..

Note:I use the RC for 12v4 and A2v5 as well..
    The interesting point here is that everyone's brain is wired a bit differently. Your method is not suitable for many, but, if it works for you........

What I do does not necessarily work for a lot if people, but, it works for me. Example - assuming .5 house edge first hand out if the shoe with a running count of 4,6, or 9 - what's your next bet and why. I find extrapolation to be a valuable tool - anywhere in the shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The interesting point here is that everyone's brain is wired a bit differently. Your method is not suitable for many, but, if it works for you........

What I do does not necessarily work for a lot if people, but, it works for me. Example - assuming .5 house edge first hand out if the shoe with a running count of 4,6, or 9 - what's your next bet and why. I find extrapolation to be a valuable tool - anywhere in the shoe.
    In these situations if you use the flooring method would your TC would be 0, 0 and +1 in 8 deck? So same bet as at the start of the shoe for the first two cases and the third depends on your bet ramp and the TC you begin to increase bet size?

What did you mean by "extrapolate" in your earlier post?

Quote Originally Posted by NB10 View Post
    In these situations if you use the flooring method would your TC would be 0, 0 and +1 in 8 deck? So same bet as at the start of the shoe for the first two cases and the third depends on your bet ramp and the TC you begin to increase bet size?

What did you mean by "extrapolate" in your earlier post?
    I didn't specify as such, the comments were directed towards my standard 6 deck shoe.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast