See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DD card cutting technique..

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

DD card cutting technique..

I was playing a DD deck with one other player and the dealer was flashing the bottom card often. Unfortunately, the ploppy would not relinquish the cut card and let me cut. In any case, when I was cutting, and I cannot cut accurately enough to get the bottom card, if I saw a small card, I would rule it out and start my RC at +1 and if I saw a big card, keep it in play. A couple of times, I saw an Ace but I could not get it to myself. Dealer got a BJ once and dealer had the Ace as face card and another Ace in hole. Both in second round. I had placed a slightly higher bet, just in case I got a BJ, lost the bet both times.

How would I cut if the bottom card is 7-9? Do I cut them out, keep them in play, have them come out early in deck or later?

If you see a high card, do you cut it so that card comes out in latter rounds or early rounds if playing heads up or with one other player?

When you know the ace position with in a couple of cards on the first round if 2, play 2 spots. If you cut the small card out of play, you start your count with your tag value for that card.

What you want to do is
    Steer aces to you
    Cut low card slugs out of play
    Cut high card slugs into play.

When you cut the small slug out of play, put your normal ramp onto steroids. Don't think you will oractice that line if thought though.

If it is a T, J, Q, K or A you cut exactly 10 cards from the bottom (spend some time practicing this at home), so that if it doesn't come out in the first round you can slam down your max bet on two hands and have a very high % chance of getting that card in one of your hands, either as the first or second card. If it is a 2-9 just cut at the top and bury it.

If it is a ten value card you should also make kings bounty / lucky ladies bets.

Thanks, good advice. I was burying the 7's but was not so sure about the 8's and 9's.

Even if you can't steer the card with great proficiency, there is still value in cutting a 10 into play and knowing which round it will appear (i.e., the first or the second). If you know the next round has an extra 10-value card in it, that sends the true count way up for that round and warrants a bigger or biggest bet. Also a great camo play if it's in the first round, you can bet big off the top.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    8's are neutral and 9's possess a slight advantage to the player. they're just not worth thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    Even if you can't steer the card with great proficiency, there is still value in cutting a 10 into play and knowing which round it will appear (i.e., the first or the second). If you know the next round has an extra 10-value card in it, that sends the true count way up for that round and warrants a bigger or biggest bet. Also a great camo play if it's in the first round, you can bet big off the top.
    How would we know that there is an extra 19-value card? We can only know for sure that there is one 10 value card and most rounds have one. I am not sure the "true count way up.." and not know if that means adding a +1 to the TC for that round for Betting purposes.

We can only know for sure that there is one 10 value card and most rounds have one. I am not sure the "true count way up.."
    +1 RC over 5 cards is the same thing as +10 RC over 50 cards. True 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Meistro123 View Post
    8's are neutral and 9's possess a slight advantage to the player. they're just not worth thinking about.
    Actually, if you're referring to getting the 8. 0or 9 as your first card, 8 is very slightly negative, and 9 is very slightly break even. Wonder how Don would interpret my 9 comment?

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    How does this make cents?
    I think he's referring to a 5 card slug if cards with a known 10.

We've been down this topic before. Here is a reprint of my analysis from a prior thread:

Let's say that I cut a face card into the first 13 cards of a DD game. Off the top, the TC for the first pack of 13 cards would be calculated as follows:

(1 - 1 x 12/103)/.25 = 3.5. This makes sense when you realize that you have a known RC decrease of 1 for the known face card and an assumed running count increase of 1 for the remaining 103 cards. Putting this in the context of a 13 card pack, the RC will be +1 for the known card and -1 x 12/103 for the other 12 cards. Then multiply by 4 to get the TC for the 13-card pack.

So yes, if I cut a face card into the first 13-card round, I bet bigger because I'm looking at TC of +3.5 off the top.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    Sorry bigdaddy. I'm not seeing the excitement. I play about 50k hands annually SDSU. This means I'm seeing around 8k shuffles and the cut card is in my hand 99.9% of the time. A dealer really has to screw up to reveal a bottom card out of a machine shuffle so this cuts the possibilities in half. So I maybe see the bottom card 20 times annually. Of course, I don't lay my head on the table or wear a ring with a mirror on it.

What am I missing? Considering I'm in control 8k times a year, hell yes I'd like to know.

It's far more likely if I hold my cards as though I'm going to hit, the dealer will expose the next card by sliding it over slightly with her thumb.
    I hear you Moses -

I'm not saying that this is a gold mine or anything. All I'm trying to do is explain the math of the game should you find yourself in this situation. In my example, you would have an edge off the top, so it calls for a bigger bet.

I beg to disagree. Playing DD, usually heads up or with one player, sitting at either 1sr base or 3rd, I get to see the bottom card often. Takkative tall dealers or some women pick up the cards from the tray to their left and bring it forward to place on yellow card in front. Some dealers expose it every single time they do it, others less often but 20 times a session is not uncommon.

now, you see the bottom card which is at the bottom when she hands you the cut card. If it's a low card, you cut 10-15 cards from the top and if it's a high card, you cut 10-15 from the bottom to ensure it's in play.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast