Thread: REKO Betting Strategy

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

REKO Betting Strategy

Hello everyone,

I'm learning the reko strategy and in the modern blackjack book pg.72 it provides the betting tables for the different decks. Instead of starting my IRC at -20 for six decks, my IRC will be 0 to avoid most negative counts. And for two decks instead of an IRC of -5, I will start at 0. If I'm understanding correctly I just adjust the numbers at which I make strategy changes.

So for example if the IRC is -20(per the book for 6 decks) the bet spread looks like this:
    bet 1 unit at -4 and below/ 2 units at -3 & -2 / 5 units at -1, 0, +1 / 10 units at +2 & +3 and 15 units at +4 and above.

If my adjusted IRC is now starting at 0 instead of -20 would this be the correct bet spread?
    bet 1 unit at +16 and below/ 2 units at +17 & +18/ 5 units at +19, +20, +21/ 10 units at +22 & +23/ 15 units at +24 and above.

And for 2 decks the IRC would be 0 instead of -5:
    bet 1 unit at +4 and below/ 2 units at +5/ 2.5 units at +6/ 5 units at +7/ 7.5 units at +8 and above.

I understand you can bet based off of bank roll one starts with or feels comfortable with but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I checked the forum for a similar question but no luck. Thank you in advance!!!

My eyes glazed over when you mentioned specific ramps and running counts.

I'm not the most familiar with unbalanced counts but from what I understand where you put the initial running count doesn't really matter as long as you keep everything else consistent with that (shift the strike point and whatever index plays appropriately).

You may need to be careful with the 7.5 - 1 spread at DD.

Thank you both. Joe mama(great name lol) what do you mean? Is it incorrect

It may not be tolerated everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by EV1 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm learning the reko strategy and in the modern blackjack book pg.72 it provides the betting tables for the different decks. Instead of starting my IRC at -20 for six decks, my IRC will be 0 to avoid most negative counts. And for two decks instead of an IRC of -5, I will start at 0. If I'm understanding correctly I just adjust the numbers at which I make strategy changes.

So for example if the IRC is -20(per the book for 6 decks) the bet spread looks like this:
    bet 1 unit at -4 and below/ 2 units at -3 & -2 / 5 units at -1, 0, +1 / 10 units at +2 & +3 and 15 units at +4 and above.

If my adjusted IRC is now starting at 0 instead of -20 would this be the correct bet spread?
    bet 1 unit at +16 and below/ 2 units at +17 & +18/ 5 units at +19, +20, +21/ 10 units at +22 & +23/ 15 units at +24 and above.

And for 2 decks the IRC would be 0 instead of -5:
    bet 1 unit at +4 and below/ 2 units at +5/ 2.5 units at +6/ 5 units at +7/ 7.5 units at +8 and above.

I understand you can bet based off of bank roll one starts with or feels comfortable with but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. I checked the forum for a similar question but no luck. Thank you in advance!!!
    Everything in your plan of action is correct after shifting the IRC but I suggest two things...
    1) If you are sitting and playing 2 deck deeply dealt games you will need to occasionally come off the top with some middle sized bets, and you should insure all of your blackjacks. This is effective and cheap cover. You do not need to worry about this advice in back counted shoe games, of course.
    2) Buy Daniel Dravots book the Color of Blackjack and combine that info with Norms excellent online book. Basically what you're doing is incorporating depth based betting with REKO or KO. This is a strong strategy that will get you the $...better AND easier than Hi-Lo. That's a fact. I've been doing it for many years.

Good Cards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rwe021 View Post
    Everything in your plan of action is correct after shifting the IRC but I suggest two things...
    1) If you are sitting and playing 2 deck deeply dealt games you will need to occasionally come off the top with some middle sized bets, and you should insure all of your blackjacks. This is effective and cheap cover. You do not need to worry about this advice in back counted shoe games, of course.
    2) Buy Daniel Dravots book the Color of Blackjack and combine that info with Norms excellent online book. Basically what you're doing is incorporating depth based betting with REKO or KO. This is a strong strategy that will get you the $...better AND easier than Hi-Lo. That's a fact. I've been doing it for many years.

Good Cards!

In regard to #1, thats what Joe Mama meant when he said that your POA might not be tolerated in DD. He's right.

Quote Originally Posted by rwe021 View Post

Good Cards!

Thank you so much for the advice rwe021!