Thread: W2-G address dilemma

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

W2-G address dilemma

I have a dilemma with W2-G’s and my address.

I used to live in a state that taxes your income. Now, I have an address in Las Vegas.

My plan is to play some video poker at a Caesar’s property in Vegas so I can get to diamond status.

But this will probably trigger a W2-G, and they have my address from my old state. I might need to change my address once they make the W2-G. The problem with this is that Caesar’s gives me a lot of free rooms, and if I change to being a Vegas local, I am afraid they will stop. (MGM told me they don’t give me rooms because they know I am a local.)

So, I could play, change my address, and see what happens.

Or I could play and just not correct my old address on the W2-G. Would my old state’s revenue department receive record of this and expect me to pay them (even though I won it in Vegas)? I don’t think I would be breaking any laws by not correcting my address on the W2-G, right?

Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post

I used to live in a state that taxes your income. Now, I have an address in Las Vegas.

My plan is to play some video poker at a Caesar’s property in Vegas so I can get to diamond status.

But this will probably trigger a W2-G, and they have my address from my old state. I might need to change my address once they make the W2-G. The problem with this is that Caesar’s gives me a lot of free rooms, and if I change to being a Vegas local, I am afraid they will stop. (MGM told me they don’t give me rooms because they know I am a local.)

Or I could play and just not correct my old address on the W2-G. Would my old state’s revenue department receive record of this and expect me to pay them (even though I won it in Vegas)? I don’t think I would be breaking any laws by not correcting my address on the W2-G, right?
    Buy a two-bedroom home in gated community. Median price is $130K. Financing should be a cinch.

Quote Originally Posted by beta View Post

I've had lots of WG-2's; I pay state income taxes in the state where I get the income (WG-2) rather than the state where I live. You should go on line and check how that would be handled in your former home state.

I agree with Joe. Income is taxable in the state where it is earned, NOT in your state of residence. However, you would need to file the returns in your "old" state to reflect this. Otherwise, the revenue department will, by default, assume you earned 100% of the money in your former state, rather than Nevada.

i can assure you that you owe taxes to the state where the income is earned....trust me, as a consultant who travels all over the country, I get W2 that can fill a binder every year...i will add that some states, mostly adjacent one's to where you live, thankfully have reciprocal agreements where you don't have to pay their taxes, only your home state

If the amount is sufficient, you may receive a letter from your home state. You'd then have to prove when you moved to Nevada and explain that they had your old address on file in error. It would be prudent to save some documentation that shows the date of the move just in case.-
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson