See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Index Generation Halves, Double Tag

Blog Entries

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Index Generation Halves, Double Tag

Halves tags are 0.5 for 2,7; 1.5 for 5, -0.5 for 9 which are quite difficult to add, subtract.
    When you 'Double' the tags, indices should be doubled, too.
    Q. How do you generate indices using CVData ?
    Otherwise, just double up all indices you want to be included individually ?
    Need help.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    If you double the tags for easier computation, then just double the indices. It slows down the process, but it works.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You can get more accurate indices by generate new ones. Unless the indices were decimals indices for normal Halves you lose the added accuracy of doubling the tags.

Example: Decimal index of 3.6 (most likely integer index 4 but maybe 3) would likely be an index of 7 rather than 8 or possibly 6 which doubling the index would get.

Blog Entries

Most people I've known that use Halves double everything. If you create new indices with doubled tags, you will get slightly better indices.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    Most people I've known that use Halves double everything. If you create new indices with doubled tags, you will get slightly better indices.
    By inference, the same may well be true for hi lo, or most counts for that matter. The heart of the issue is that whatever minor gain in indices is more than negatively offset by reduced game speed.

I don't double, I use the actual tag values, and have no issues.
    Last edited by Freightman; 12-11-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Add last line

Blog Entries

True. But some people are not comfortable with the halves. As usual, depends on the person.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by greg16394 View Post
    Halves tags are 0.5 for 2,7; 1.5 for 5, -0.5 for 9 which are quite difficult to add, subtract.
    Double the tags, but then divide by 1/2 decks unseen instead of full decks unseen for your True Count and you can use the exact same indexes that Wong has in his book. (You'd have a True Count per 1/2 Deck) People have nicknamed this "Halves Doubled" and it's supposed to make it easier, but I found it to be very mentally taxing. I use Original Zen (not True Edge) and think it's a breeze.

Blog Entries

I've always thought original Zen was the best strategy for players that want to take advantage of both shoe and hand-held games with little adjustment in play. One of the more famous players used to play pitch games with an ace-neutral system for six months and shoes with an ace-reckoned system for six months, going back and forth every half-year. That solves the confusion problem, but can miss opportunities. Eventually, he created an unbalanced version of Zen as an easier solution.

Quote Originally Posted by greg16394 View Post
    Q. How do you generate indices using CVData ?
    Otherwise, just double up all indices you want to be included individually ?
    Need help.
    When you create a new strategy in CVData, there's a tab where you type in whatever you want for the tags.

I didn't think I'd like dealing with the halves in halves, I'd rather not have halves, so have to double it. I like 1 deck resolution, who wants to divide by 13? OTOH, you can probably get used to anything if you train for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk