See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Posts

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    In the future, when someone does you a favor by letting you know that another person is impersonating you, and potentially harming your reputation... you might want to take a different approach.

Like starting with "Thanks for letting me know," and then not shitting on the person that is doing you a favor.
    I have nothing against you. At the same time, there is no chemistry. If you want to portray your endeavours with an "I don't give a shit" attitude, which it appears that you have essentially done, then, as it pertains to your endeavours, I also don't give a shit. If you want to "egg on" some of the participants by what you deem as funny, and potentially harming, go for it. Now, as for the individual with the peas sized brain posting innuendo on your site, the fact that you allow cyber bullshit on your site, advertise the fact because you "deem it to be funny" is suggestive of your short term thinking.

Now, as for your doing me a favour, your comment is analogous to me doing you a favour by saying that someone wanted to call you an asshole - I said not to, and they didn't.

Pretty self serving. With friends like that, who needs enemas.

Don, you might be getting bogged down in the details. I hear what you're saying: if you read the whole book, in the proper context, there's nothing disagreeable.

I'm talking about the actual impression that actual people are getting from books like yours (and many others). This isn't speculation. It's not taking a "cheap shot" to try to get eyeballs. It's correcting a very serious, very persistent problem that I run into with almost every new player.
    The Cash Cow.

I offered to take the posts down, you both refused. Let me know if that changes.
    The Cash Cow.

I offered to take the posts down, you both refused. Let me know if that changes.
    I see nothing pertaining to refusing. The clear tone if the sub thread is clear as to preference. One thing I will not do is play your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    I see nothing pertaining to refusing. The clear tone if the sub thread is clear as to preference. One thing I will not do is play your game.
    Lol. Yes, this is all a big game. Coming here and letting you know that someone was impersonating you and offering to take it down... it was all a giant RUSE!

f07.jpg
    The Cash Cow.

Don, you might be getting bogged down in the details. I hear what you're saying: if you read the whole book, in the proper context, there's nothing disagreeable.

I'm talking about the actual impression that actual people are getting from books like yours (and many others). This isn't speculation. It's not taking a "cheap shot" to try to get eyeballs. It's correcting a very serious, very persistent problem that I run into with almost every new player.
    My book is NOT for new players and has consistently and persistently been described and marketed as NOT the first book (nor probably the tenth) that a new player should read.

Don

moses - Seems you are searching for the Pareto Principle (also referred to as "the law of the vital few") version of BJA.

The Pareto Principle essentially posits that 80% of the results can be achieved through 20% of the factors that go into your effort (paraphrasing, but the message is essentially accurate). For example, 80% of your sales might result from 20% of your customers.
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Do you think that your advice on p.293 might possibly put some players on the wrong path?
    Advice "First I wouldn't make mistakes at all" ? (BTW, page 93, not 293)
    I translate in french to be sure. "D'abord je ne ferais pas d'erreurs du tout".
    As much clear in both languages :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Moo was talking about p 293.
    OK. I apologize.
    For my defense Don talked about p 93 and Moo replyed about p 293 with "advice" (without s)
    P 293 contains far more advices.

And that advice on p. 293 is what causes the most problems for people I work with. Again, this is not a theoretical. This is what is actually happening in the real world. New players are almost uniformly in error about needing to make "cover" plays and give back their advantage.
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by Philippe B View Post
    "advice" (without s)
    P 293 contains far more advices.
    I assume English is a second language to you. Advice is both singular and plural depending on context for recommending something as "advice". For "advice" as a formal notification of something a plural form is sometimes used. Don can tell us what is correct. I am sure he knows. I have heard it explained as advice (recommendations) can't be counted but advice (formal notifications) can be counted. Is what done wrote on p 293 a recommendation or a list of recommendations? From a standpoint of advice it is a singular formula that uses many components. I think that is why advice for recommendation is always singular.

Tthree,

Advice is a subject or object of a sentence, (commonly a noun or pronoun), whereas the term advise, from the verb "to advise", is typically an active form of the verb, encompassing the process of one person or group sharing his/her/their/its thoughts, opinions or suggestions to another person or group.

To Phillip B's post that Tthree cited, "P 293 contains far more advices", grammatically, it should read (forgetting punctuation and other grammatical issues), "P. 293 contains far more advice." Advice is the correct term for suggestions, whether singular in focus, or plural, due to the provision of a multitude of suggestions. Advise would be the process by and/or through which such advice is communicated to another person or group of people.

Further, Phillip B's preceding statement that "Moo replyed", should have been written as "Moo replied".

But I, like most forum members, will defer to Don's grammatical expertise if he differs from my above-stated grammatical advice.
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I assume English is a second language to you.
    Nice to read that there was a doubt :-)
    My first language is french.

TThree and Frank, thank you for your grammatical advice :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast