Thread: Help with the true count

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Help with the true count

Hi. I don't really know what I should divide my running count by. I mean I know it's "decks left" but which one is it? Is it the one that I marked? The thing that it's called "decks left" confuses me. The dealer takes his cards from the box on the right side, not this side. Please help.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    You divide by the number of uncounted (or unseen) decks. There are a certain number of decks to start with. You subtract the number of decks you have seen from that. You have seen most of the card in the stack you circled. You must view uncounted cards in that stack as cards behind the cut card and add them back into the divisor.

You divide by the number of decks left in the shoe, to the right in the photo.

By the way, what kind of ridiculous game was this, where the second hand consists of one card and says the total is 26???

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    By the way, what kind of ridiculous game was this, where the second hand consists of one card and says the total is 26???
    It looks like cards are drawn from 2 different shoes. LoL

^He had too many, so the dealer pushed his cards to the front

So guys, I have to look to the right, see how many cards are yet to be used, lets say 5 decks, then look to the left, see how many cards were already used (lets say 2) and do 5-2. is that right?

"So guys, I have to look to the right, see how many cards are yet to be used, lets say 5 decks, then look to the left, see how many cards were already used (lets say 2) and do 5-2. is that right?"

No, you're all confused. You divide running count by the number of decks remaining in the shoe. Period. Since that's hard to see sometimes, the normal method is to look at the discard tray, estimate how many decks are in it, and subtract that number from the total decks being used (shuffled) in the game.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by DSchles View Post
    No, you're all confused. You divide running count by the number of decks remaining in the shoe. Period.
    You have sometimes not counted all the cards in the discard tray. If you have counted them all then the statement I quoted from Don is right. If you have missed some then the number missed must be adjusted for the unseen cards in the discard tray. You might get distracted and miss a round. The cards not counted have to be removed from the equation. You may be backcounting and miss a deck but see a RC of +15 on the table and decide to play. In this case you are playing a shoe with reduced penetration by a half deck on top of what is cut off by the cut card. In that case until the shuffle every TC must be derived by the RC divided by, what Don said plus 1 deck. You divide by the number of unseen cards in deck units. You are assessing the cards not seen for a true count that shows the relative composition of an average deck of cards among the unseen cards. You divide the RC by the number of unseen cards expressed in decks (so you get the right units). The number you divide by can be a decimal or fraction. If you didn't see the burn card that is one unseen card in the discards. Not much to worry about. If they didn't show the burn on a dealer change that adds another. If for some reason you missed a round that is about 2.7 cards per hand that you missed. At a full table you are now approaching a half deck of unseen cards in the discard tray. That would add 1/2 deck to the devisor that Don stated.

you can get on YouTube type in card counting they will show you everything you're asking also get some books card counting that's the best thing you can do it's hard to explain to somebody how to do these things but like I said the internet is your friend good luck

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk

Banned or Suspended

If you glance directly at the discard rack you will be "outing" yourself.

Learn to follow (roughly) how many cards have been seen already.

Okay guys, thank you so much. So I decided to look at the discard tray and subtract from the starting number of decks. The easiest one for me.
    Last edited by deFFendeR; 10-23-2016 at 07:59 AM.

"Okay guys, thank you so much. So I decided to look at the discard tray and subtract from the starting number of decks. The easiest one for me."

The only way ... for everyone! :-)

Don

Quote Originally Posted by deFFendeR View Post
    Hi. I don't really know what I should divide my running count by. I mean I know it's "decks left" but which one is it? Is it the one that I marked? The thing that it's called "decks left" confuses me. The dealer takes his cards from the box on the right side, not this side. Please help.
    :-) Some slow people on here at times ("...Is it the one that I marked?...")
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Visit UK-21's Degenerate Gamblers Pages - www.uk-21.org

generally you will estimate through looking at the discard tray, although sometimes (rarely) you can get a better read by looking at the shoe or by both. it looks like there are 4.5 decks dealt out of this 8 deck game, so you would divide by 3.5 (total decks - decks played = decks remaining, or 8 - 4.5 = 3.5). Also make sure you are playing the right basic strategy / index deviations for the rule set of your game.