See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question About Money

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    You need a six figure bankroll just to play most greenchip games with decent rules around this country, but 1k+? Not a chance for more than a few days. You can't sustain that level of action. I don't know about you, but AP is a career for ME, so longevity will always be paramount to all things.
    Really? A 6 figure bankroll to play most green chip games? I was told that my BR of about $40k was sufficient for DD play at the green chip level and play at 6 deck greenchip could need a $60k bankroll. Others put it in terms of 100bets for DD play and 200 bets for 6D play.

i have been playing DD play all style and 6deck wong out style (wonging out at TC-2) for some time now. What is the formula?

Are you exaggerating or what?

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    " ... 100bets for DD play and 200 bets for 6D play."
    100 to 200 MAX bets will suffice for a good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoter175 View Post
    You need a six figure bankroll just to play most greenchip games with decent rules around this country, but 1k+? Not a chance for more than a few days. You can't sustain that level of action. I don't know about you, but AP is a career for ME, so longevity will always be paramount to all things.
    The risk calculator on this site shows a significantly smaller BR. If you want to double your BR with 95% Certainty, you need about 606 units. At $25 units, that is significantly lower than your 6 figure statement.

Really? A 6 figure bankroll to play most green chip games? I was told that my BR of about $40k was sufficient for DD play at the green chip level and play at 6 deck greenchip could need a $60k bankroll. Others put it in terms of 100bets for DD play and 200 bets for 6D play.

i have been playing DD play all style and 6deck wong out style (wonging out at TC-2) for some time now. What is the formula?

Are you exaggerating or what?
    What kind of spread are you running? Your RoR is much higher than mine, and I suppose that's fair if you're okay with that kind of play style and risk. I think I was still on $10-15 tables with a 1-6 or 1-8 spread depending on location when I had a 40-50k bankroll like yours. I guess if you're wonging at TC2 you could probably get away with it, but in this day practically anything good is NMSE. I'm not saying you need 200k to greenchip, but I don't think I'd be comfortable green chipping with less than a 80k+ BR on a 1-8 spread. I guess I'm just conservative.

The point though, was the guy talking about games that are 1k/hr. Those just don't exist, at least not ones you can walk out with your money.

Banned or Suspended

I enjoy a R O R in the games that I play that is below 1%

However, I point out that "Risk" is definitively subjective.

Some people are too attached to money to risk anything.

Some people will accept very substantial risk re: money.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

I enjoy a R O R in the games that I play that is below 1%

However, I point out that "Risk" is definitively subjective.

Some people are too attached to money to risk anything.

Some people will accept very substantial risk re: money.
    You make a fair point, and I've become incredibly low risk in that regard, and in large part because I dare not bump my action up any further. Greenchipping for longevity is no easy feat, at least I haven't found it so.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I worked hard toward growing a 6 figure BR to have a 0.01% RoR. After using a different linear approach long enough I guessed 3/4 of that was enough BR. Then the sim results confirmed it.

Using a playall 2 spot 2x25 to 2x250 spread with rules 6 Decks, 75% Pen, S17, BJ 3/2, DOA, DAS, SP4, SA1, LS, PEEK:
    Hiopt2 and my balanced ace side count and full indices: you need a BR of $39,389 for 1% RoR or for .01% RoR $78,777.
    For the traditional approach to Hiopt2/ASC with full indices: you need BR of $54K for 1% RoR, for .01% RoR a BR of $108K.
    For Hilo full indices you would need: for 1% RoR a bankroll requirement of $59K and to get a 0.01% RoR a BR of $118K.

Wongout at TC -2:
    My version of Hiopt2 full indices: BR of $26,095 for 1% RoR and .01% RoR a BR of $52,190.
    For traditional Hiopt2/ASC full: A BR of $35,775 for 1% RoR and .01% RoR a BR of $71,550.

T3, the risk calculator on this site does not ask for count used or the number of indexes used when determining BR requirement. So, is the risk calculator just outdated? Does Don S and BJA book use count and indexes in calculating BR requirements? In a way, this is an important question for me. I want to get to a BR figure that allows me to splurge when I have reached it, that is, keep liquid BR and use the addition for purchases related to family. It currently sits at $41k. The plan is to keep the max bet in DD games below $200 and in 6 deck games to below $300, play-all for DD and wong out at TC -2 for 6 deck games.

I play BJ recreationally so a risk factor of 5% is acceptable I guess.

T3, the risk calculator on this site does not ask for count used or the number of indexes used when determining BR requirement. So, is the risk calculator just outdated? Does Don S and BJA book use count and indexes in calculating BR requirements? In a way, this is an important question for me. I want to get to a BR figure that allows me to splurge when I have reached it, that is, keep liquid BR and use the addition for purchases related to family. It currently sits at $41k. The plan is to keep the max bet in DD games below $200 and in 6 deck games to below $300, play-all for DD and wong out at TC -2 for 6 deck games.

I play BJ recreationally so a risk factor of 5% is acceptable I guess.
    ZeeBabar, if you are traveling, disregard this comment.

If you are home, buy your own darn copy of Don's book. If you want to know whether something is covered by any book, such as BJA, look it up in your own copy of that book. Amazon or eBay have copies available at extremely reasonable prices.
    "Your honor, with all due respect: if you're going to try my case for me, I wish you wouldn't lose it."

Fictitious Boston Attorney Frank Galvin (Paul Newman - January 26, 1925 - September 26, 2008) in The Verdict, 1982, lambasting Trial Judge Hoyle (Milo Donal O'Shea - June 2, 1926 - April 2, 2013) - http://imdb.com/title/tt0084855/

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Galvin View Post
    ZeeBabar, if you are traveling, disregard this comment.

If you are home, buy your own darn copy of Don's book. If you want to know whether something is covered by any book, such as BJA, look it up in your own copy of that book. Amazon or eBay have copies available at extremely reasonable prices.
    Frank, I lost my BJ3 book some time ago when I left it at the Best American motel in Tunica, called a few hours after I noticed it missing and they say they could not find it. I found it, BJ3, a wide ranging book probably more suitable for full time pros. Sort of like reading a repair manual. At that time, I was playing DD games in just a couple of venues and only a few pages were relevent to me at my level then.

In any case, I am holding out for BJ4, due soon.

I was playing DD games in just a couple of venues and only a few pages were relevent to me at my level then.
    Are you serious?

Banned or Suspended

"I am holding out for BJ4, due soon."
    My recollection is that Don S. had stated that

there'd be no BJA 4th ed. in the foreseeable future.

I am hoping that my memory is faulty in this case.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    In any case, I am holding out for BJ4, due soon.
    No you're not. Even if Don released a 4th edition of his book, you would still find some justification to not make the purchase and you would still continue to come here and bombard this board with questions that could easily answered with a $30 purchase. But I guess it's a little too much for your $41K BR? And when that time comes (as it always does), I'm sure some of the other members of this board will display their frustrations with you, to which your reply will have something to with how you believe becoming a serious AP will somehow deteriorate your personality and turn you into a nasty person.

But you'll still be completely oblivious to fact that this has nothing to do with APs, but more so, it's a response (almost natural reaction if you will) to your behavior. I imagine you would probably receive similar treatment in any other community.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast