Thread: Results are in.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Results are in.

When I retired last year I wanted to play blackjack as a hobby once a week. Seeing as I don't like losing I tried learning counting cards. I found it to hard to learn so I gave A/5 count a try and found I could handle that. That was so easy after a time so I tried counting J,Q,K/4,5,6 and after playing that for a while I went all in with Hi-opt 1, found I could handle that after a while so I added side count of aces. Now if I can learn to count any one can it just takes lots of practice and playing each week. To make it easy I just play Double Deck at the same store once a week. I kept track and for a 170 hours last year I made $3.35/hr. plus as I play for fun comps were $2.55/hr. Total of $5.90/hr. not much but hey I didn't lose. I guess it's not more as I only do a 1-5 spread , I don't want to get asked to leave. Also table has 4-6 players most times. At this point I would like to triple this amount so I figure I will have to go to other stores and spread 1-8 and learn Illustrious 18 and try to play with less players.Do you think that would do it? Many thanks to this forum its great reading.

I'm not a fan of Hi-Opt I and I hope you will explore other options. Before the responses come in let's get some information. Are you using a side count? Are you playing double deck exclusively? Tell us the rules and penetration of the game you're playing.

Yes, it's possible to triple the $3.35 per hour but it depends on the answers to these questions. In the meantime a search of this site should turn up something on Hi-Opt I.

well im not saying increase your spread, but you might just increase your min and max bet. your spread can still be 1-5, but for example if you have a decent bankroll you would increase from $5-$25 and maybe do $20-$100. idk what your bankroll is so its hard to determine your hourly win rate. also like paymypush stated rules and pen are important as well. check out the BJresources tab and click on the calculator you can input your count, rules, pen, spread, BR, and ROR. It will calculate all sorts of useful numbers

Thanks Big Harry I will look into bjresources. One of the reasons I think I can do much better was the fact I was using A/5 count for part of the year. Yes I play DD exclusively as I find it easy to count and I use BS for that game also works well with Hi-opt 1 side count aces. Rules are H17 DAS no surrender and pen. is 75-85%. Doing a spread of $20-100 sounds good but the thought of a hand for $100 and then a double down for $200 would have me shaking in my boots, not use to that just yet. I'm just starting to use Ill.18 and I get staying on 16 vs 10 if you have a + count but have a hard time understanding hitting 12 vs 6 on a -1 count.

I still get frustrated when i lose high count max bets, but it is variance and you have to have nerves of steel like many will attest to here. your game is decent. you definitely want to side count aces if you can. if you want to triple that hourly you mentioned you probably will have to spread something like the $20-$100. I dont play much double deck, mostly shoe games, but i know its harder to have a huge bet spread like $5-$100, but someone else can comment about that. the index for 12v6 at TC=-1 means you hit if the TC is -1,-2,-3, etc. if the TC is positive or only slightly negative (eg. -.5) then you stick to BS and stand on your 12 v 6. it took me a bit to wrap my head around some of the indexes also.

Is the index only -1 for a H17 game? Not familiar with Hi Opt 1, but the indexes v6 are usually much more negative for H17 than S17.

You are right Marvin I just looked again and the Ill18 was for S17 so will have to find one that is H17 thanks for the catch. Yes I have found Variance is a b**** I don't know how you can bet those big money hands and keep on losing takes lots of faith in the numbers I guess.

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Not easy to exit on DD but I can see where congested tables is a bad thing more people less hands, So if I go early and their is half as many players then can I figure my EV will double?

Banned or Suspended

User is banned, content deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
    Sure it is. You just stand up and take a cell-call untill shuffle.
    "That man takes more phone calls than anyone I've ever seen!! You don't suppose...."

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Naw!"

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.