See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ploppy Anger

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Ploppy Anger

I know this has been the subject of numerous discussions, but I just had an incident today at my local store. Playing a DD game (face up) with 2 others at the table and the count was in the tank to the point where the proper play was to hit my 14 v. dealer 2. I got a 2 and stood from there. The dealer winds up drawing out to a 20 and burns everybody at the table.

So the fat pig next to me starts up..."why don't you learn how to play, etc... I say, "I thought I had to hit it".

Keep in mind that this is my local store and I try to keep a low profile, so I left the table after a few more hands. I thought maybe it works out in my favor where the dealer and the rest of the players will view me as an idiot and that I had to skulk away after an idiotic play.

Actually, I wanted to piss on the guy. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I know this has been the subject of numerous discussions, but I just had an incident today at my local store. Playing a DD game (face up) with 2 others at the table and the count was in the tank to the point where the proper play was to hit my 14 v. dealer 2. I got a 2 and stood from there. The dealer winds up drawing out to a 20 and burns everybody at the table.

So the fat pig next to me starts up..."why don't you learn how to play, etc... I say, "I thought I had to hit it".

Keep in mind that this is my local store and I try to keep a low profile, so I left the table after a few more hands. I thought maybe it works out in my favor where the dealer and the rest of the players will view me as an idiot and that I had to skulk away after an idiotic play.

Keep playing. Sooner or later, you will save the entire table. Last time, I hit a 12 against a 6, got a 5 for 17 and the dealer busted and I made a sarcastic remark to the stupid ploppy that I not only saved his $75, won him another $75. He had started whispering to his girlfriend that I made a silly play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post

I always blame the devil.

Only time I get some what emotional is when I am getting slaughter ( 15 max bets +) . I know that is a sin . It only happens very infrequently.

I would shrug it off and say something like "meh...I had a feeling."

If the person really starts to become an asshole, I'll offer them to buy my hand.

I actually like the noise from the ploppy as it makes me look like a gambler grasping at straws. Those plays (12 v 6 / 12 v 5 , etc) are perfect to talk up the "feeling you have and hit and then either point out how you saved the table or apologize for the bad hunch you played. And then announce, I came to gamble!

Do not give the ploppy control of your emotions. You are the one who knows what he is doing, just play up the act and move on.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    I actually like the noise from the ploppy as it makes me look like a gambler grasping at straws. Those plays (12 v 6 / 12 v 5 , etc) are perfect to talk up the "feeling you have and hit and then either point out how you saved the table or apologize for the bad hunch you played. And then announce, I came to gamble!

Do not give the ploppy control of your emotions. You are the one who knows what he is doing, just play up the act and move on.
    This is actually one of the biggest problems that I have. It's not about whether or not I let them affect me on making the right play decision, i always make the right play whether it pisses someone off or not, but the problem I have is how to control my pride when the idiot ploppy thinks i dont know how to play and starts talking under his breath or to his wife or friend or even when they just straight out attack me and yell at my face. I have to admit I have lost it multiple times and yelled back numerous times because i just cant stand and hate having people thinking im an idiot and them thinking that they're right when in fact they're actually completely wrong.

How do i learn to suck in my pride and just look like an idiot? I just cant do it. Sometimes I can, but most of the time I cant because I just cant stand people that think they're right but are actually wrong. I cant stand people that make assumptions about people. As you all know and for whoever watched Under Siege 2 with Steven Segul, "Assumptions are the mother of all *** ups."

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWoLF View Post
    This is actually one of the biggest problems that I have. It's not about whether or not I let them affect me on making the right play decision, i always make the right play whether it pisses someone off or not, but the problem I have is how to control my pride when the idiot ploppy thinks i dont know how to play and starts talking under his breath or to his wife or friend or even when they just straight out attack me and yell at my face. I have to admit I have lost it multiple times and yelled back numerous times because i just cant stand and hate having people thinking im an idiot and them thinking that they're right when in fact they're actually completely wrong.

How do i learn to suck in my pride and just look like an idiot? I just cant do it. Sometimes I can, but most of the time I cant because I just cant stand people that think they're right but are actually wrong. I cant stand people that make assumptions about people. As you all know and for whoever watched Under Siege 2 with Steven Segul, "Assumptions are the mother of all *** ups."
    I tell myself, "After all the smoke clears, this idiot is paying my freight. Why do anything to disturb that condition?"

How much EV did you make (save) when hitting 14v2? How much did you lose by walking away from the table (and presumably going home) or possible heat that it may have brought? I can't imagine hitting a 14v2 in a counting game.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Keep making the correct plays. If you're lucky all of the dummies will leave and find another table.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I am not so sure it's a good idea to hit 14 vs 2 regardless of the negative count when playing with ploppies. First, you probably have a minimum bet out and second, if you get it right, the pit may think you are counting (especially if you have been playing correct BS most of the time). Third, why get noticed or hurt the harmony at the table?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    There are other players at the table?

Good comments - thanks everybody...

I think I'm leaning towards RollingStoned's advice. It was bad judgment to make such a bold play in a face-up game in front of other players that I see regularly. Not that I'm worried about heat in this store - the floor people are clueless and don't watch the game very close. But the small gain in EV still doesn't outweigh the possible negative outcomes.

So I think I'll save the minimum-bet index plays for the pitch (face-down) games. But if we're talking about doubling an A9 v. 5 or 6 in a monster count with max bet out, I don't care who's watching. I'm making that play..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast