See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackjack Books +

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Blackjack Books +

I'm trying to nail down which books to read at this juncture in my learning. I've got basic strategy down and now I'm practicing card counting. (Among other items) I want to learn the mechanics of card counting: At what juncture in the game it's best to do it. Also, how to vary betting strategy and maybe a glance at indices. Any recommendations, for books, would be appreciated. My list so far is too long: Blackjack: A Professional Reference, Michael Dalton; The Theory of Blackjack, Peter Griffin; Las Vegas Blackjack Diary, Stuart Perry; Playing Blackjack as a Business, Lawrence Revere; Big Book of Blackjack and Blackbelt in Blackjack, Arnold Snyder; Million Dollar Blackjack, Ken Uston.

I put together a list of books, about 25, they're just copies of lists from a few sites - with reviews from various people - and threw it on a site in case anyone else can benefit.

http://www.mytrueheartsdesire.com/Books.html

One other question, if that's okay. Has anyone used Oscar's betting system? For this forum, Oscar's system is probably simplistic but I find it intriguing. I've tried using it in my practice games with some success. Has anyone experiences success using this system? Thank you much.

http://www.blackjackforumonline.com/content/Betting_Systems_Oscars_Blackjack_System.htm

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Oscar's betting system?
    "Oscar's Grind" is just a slow progression, and like all progressions, it is doomed to failure.

What is also true is that Blackjack is a bad choice for those who insist on betting progressions

because, (on average), the player wins 43% of the hands, loses 48% and 'pushes' 9%

My sloppy post edited thanks to my error being pointed out by Don S.
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 08-20-2016 at 06:35 AM.

Oscar used his progression on the passline in craps. That is a bet that is resolved slowly on average. He was comp grifting and the slow nature of the progression and the bets being resolved about every 2 to 3 minutes on average. You can imagine the time he got rated for without much of a chance to lose or win money. He would continue incomplete progressions from one session to another or one trip to the next. That tells you how slow things moved along. Often progressions couldn't even be completed in a the timeframe he had to play.

Why do you need your own book list when there is damn near every Blackjack book of any substance listed here?? On the site already?

https://www.blackjacktheforum.com/fo...y.php?80-Books
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein

"because, (on average), the player wins 43% of the hands, loses 45% and 'pushes' 12%."

Pushes waaay too high. More like 43-48-9.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Any recommendations, for books, would be appreciated. My list so far is too long: Blackjack: A Professional Reference, Michael Dalton; The Theory of Blackjack, Peter Griffin; Las Vegas Blackjack Diary, Stuart Perry; Playing Blackjack as a Business, Lawrence Revere; Big Book of Blackjack and Blackbelt in Blackjack, Arnold Snyder; Million Dollar Blackjack, Ken Uston.
    There are two books that you should read first before the other books you've noted above: "Blackjack Attack 3rd Edition" by Don Schlesinger and "Professional Blackjack" by Stanford Wong

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    There are two books that you should read first before the other books you've noted above: "Blackjack Attack 3rd Edition" by Don Schlesinger and "Professional Blackjack" by Stanford Wong
    One more to add to the two above books: "Modern Blackjack" by Norman Wattenberger, and it's free online right here: https://www.qfit.com/book/index.htm

I would venture to say that all of the substantive quantitative blackjack topics and questions that are hotly debated on this site have already been addressed and clearly resolved in the above books. The authors of these books also participate on this site. They must find it amusing (and frustrating at times) when they see a long thread of confusion and misinformation on a topic that they have clearly addressed in their book.

Snyder, Wong, Uston, and Schlesinger are excellent choices for a newcomer.
    Three more suggestions that some may disagree with:
    1) I would hold off on reading Griffin until much later, unless you have a firm grasp on mathematics.
    2) Fred Renzey's Blackjack Bluebook II is a great read for someone new to counting and I strongly recommend it.
    3) I would replace Perry's LV BJ Diary (not a bad read, however) with Tilton's BJ Life.
    Best of luck and stand clear of the progression betting systems.

I would not get too hung up in the order you read books. You will get the most out of a book when you reread it when you feel it is the appropriate time. The reread can be a slow and thorough digestion of the book in parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
    I agree with "Blackjack Attack 3rd Edition" by Don Schlesinger but "Professional Blackjack" by Stanford Wong is kinda old. I would choose Norm's Modern Blackjack over "Professional Blackjack" by Stanford Wong

Banned or Suspended

IF you have a high IQ, good visualization ability,
    fine memorial functions, good study skills, and
    the desire to master a truly great system, beyond
    a neophyte's comprehension ... you need to consider
    not wasting time with common card counting systems
    but endeavor to master ... The Tarzan Count.
    There is no debating the power, only the commitment
    requirement by a smart person to master it.

Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 08-20-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Blog Entries

Well, I don't think I'd put that in a general list of suggested blackjack books.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

I would add Bob Nersesian's new book "The Law for Gamblers"

I continue to recommend Blackjack Life by Tilton as both a good story about AP blackjack and an instructional work on small team concept.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast