See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Double Down card face down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Double Down card face down

I've noticed a lot a people here in the Midwest got this new thing been going on for quite a while when they Double Down they want their card face down so they cannot see what it is if I'm playing I just usually ask the dealer if I can see it are the player and usually it's no problem until today. The player had no problem with me seeing it but the dealer would not let me see it at this one particular store I play this is not the first time I've had this problem with the dealers at this place I don't understand it. damn well don't understand getting your card face down if you're that scared to see it why do it. Just frustrating to try to calculate a hand when you have this. but there's nothing you can do but -- I sure am going to cut my tips down but I do believe in tipping if I'm winning but I bet I get a little more time for my tips over this done today and other ones

Sent from my B1-820 using Tapatalk

My local spot I play at they do the same thing, only time they show the card face up is if you play the royal match. I ask the dealers to show me, some do and some don't. Never understood why. I play a lot of single deck and thought that might be part of the reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    One reason to ask for a face down is to piss off any AP at the table. Another is to avoid the comments or the sympathetic looks or the ridicule you get when, say you double an 11 against a 10 and get an Ace, (I never double against a ten) so having it face down kills all that. A player is not at a table to help you win, he is in for his own.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    One reason to ask for a face down is to piss off any AP at the table. Another is to avoid the comments or the sympathetic looks or the ridicule you get when, say you double an 11 against a 10 and get an Ace, (I never double against a ten) so having it face down kills all that. A player is not at a table to help you win, he is in for his own.
    This would be the post that gave everyone that idea about your play. I hope you can see how the post is a bit ambiguous.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    1) 99.9% of other players at the table wouldn't know what an AP was if he/she slapped that player in the face. So almost NOBODY is asking for the card face down to piss off any AP. They're doing it for superstitious reasons or whatever...

2) Are you just trolling us again? I honestly cannot tell? Do you really not follow simple basic strategy (double 11v10)? And do you honestly believe that players are requesting their double down card down so they can irritate a card counter?

It's posts like this that really make me wonder about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryemo View Post
    1) 99.9% of other players at the table wouldn't know what an AP was if he/she slapped that player in the face. So almost NOBODY is asking for the card face down to piss off any AP. They're doing it for superstitious reasons or whatever...

2) Are you just trolling us again? I honestly cannot tell? Do you really not follow simple basic strategy (double 11v10)? And do you honestly believe that players are requesting their double down card down so they can irritate a card counter?

It's posts like this that really make me wonder about you.
    I have to agree here. Maybe I should see more history of posts of people before I go defending them...

If you like BJ as a hobby, but maaaaaaaaaybe also want to make some money, do this for a week Zee: DOUBLE ALL YOUR 11s v 10. Hell do it vs A, too. Keep a stat book in yer pocket and in yer head. Update it during breaks. You can practice counting! All I want you to do is note your number of losses and wins. Hell just flat bet the whole time if it's just a hobby and you have no interest in being profitable.

Then come back and tell us how many more units you made by doubling than you would have just hitting when you're all done.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Villiam View Post
    " ... do this for a week Zee"

This must be a facetious sarcastic statement, as results from the
    (diminishing) rest of his life, would be statistically insignificant.

Note for neophytes:

Doubling 11 vs. Ace is NOT a Basic Strategist's play with S17.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

This must be a facetious sarcastic statement, as results from the
    (diminishing) rest of his life, would be statistically insignificant.

Note for neophytes:

Doubling 11 vs. Ace is NOT a Basic Strategist's play with S17.

Not sure it would be insignificant. 11 v 10 happens often. Also, thanks for the note, and yeah I knew this. But if he's refusing 11 v 10 in higher counts is that not a pretty significant edge? And I'm assuming he plays often as he's retired.

Banned or Suspended

"if he's refusing 11 v 10 in higher counts is that not a pretty significant edge?
    And I'm assuming he plays often as he's retired."
    It is a HUGELY significant error; and he plays often,
    as he is an implied / admitted pathological gambler.

It is not an error on H17 game. Since most games are H17 these days, he will be more right than wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGenius007 View Post
    It is not an error on H17 game. Since most games are H17 these days, he will be more right than wrong.
    I think you're confusing 11vA in a S17 game... Not 11vT. Doublling 11vA is the correct play in a H17 (11vA in S17 is just a hit) . We're talking about 11vT. Double down in a H17 and S17 game...

And you double 11vA in both S17 and H17 in DD. The variation referenced above is for 6D+.

Check your strategy again

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I think you're confusing 11vA in a S17 game... Not 11vT. Doublling 11vA is the correct play in a H17 (11vA in S17 is just a hit) . We're talking about 11vT. Double down in a H17 and S17 game...

And you double 11vA in both S17 and H17 in DD. The variation referenced above is for 6D+.

I was replying to ZenM, he was talking about 11 v A. I said double 11 v A on H17 shoe game is correct. Nothing to do with 11 v T. You are confused.

I was replying to ZenM, he was talking about 11 v A. I said double 11 v A on H17 shoe game is correct. Nothing to do with 11 v T. You are confused.
    No. Your are. Re-read the previous posts:

But if he's refusing 11 v 10 in higher counts is that not a pretty significant edge? And I'm assuming he plays often as he's retired.
    ZMF's respone to that was:

Your response to ZMF was:

So my response to that comment was:

You see? I think it is you that is confused.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast