Quote Originally Posted by Boz View Post
For years, my results have been significantly above simmed EV. How do I know that if I don't track EV? Because I tracked how much money I made. All that tells me is that the sim is a simulation, and not real life.

If you fall well below simmed EV, why are you on the wrong track? Doesn't variance ever put you below that margin? Do you normally play a billion hands in a session? I seriously don't see the point.
Once again, If you aren't tracking the EV, how do you know you're above it? Example: I play a wide variety of games; some 6D with good cuts, 6D with mediocre cuts, DD with great cuts/rules, DD w/mediocre cuts, and different unit sizes ($10, $25, and $50 units), etc. My EV on some games can range anywhere between $75/hr to $350/hr, based on different games, unit size and conditons. So If I were to log in 500 hrs in one year playing a wide variety of games, how could you possibly know if you're on target???

Hitting EV and being ahead are two totally different things. I have bundle of cash and a large chip inventory that tells me that I'm WAY ahead, so there is absolutely no question that I'm playing a winning game or not. But those real life results don't tell me if I'm hitting EV. I guess if you only play one type of game ALL the time with the same spread, same unit size, same cut, etc., then I suppose you could just run one sim, track your hours, and you'll know if you're close to target. But if you play a wide variety of games, then you'll never know for sure.

And FYI, you don't need to play a "billion" hands in order to reach EV. That is a common misconception. The hundreds of million hands that are played out in sims are done so it can relay the projections as accurate as possible.

I think tracking EV is important, especially when planning trips. It's essential to understand what trip expenses you will incur and how many hours you will need to play in order to off-set those expenses. When I have a losing trip, I don't think "gee, that trip was a total waste of time". I make sure to play the desired amount of hours to off-set the trip expense and make room for desired "projected profit" and move on. Regardless if it's a winning trip or losing trip, I know that if I make that trip enough times, the EV will sort it out in the end. This is a more practical example of how I think tracking EV is important. But to each their own...