The chat room software is obsolete. It is Java-based, which is a pain to use and no longer works at all with Chrome. They have a new version; but there is no VBulletin connection. That means people can enter the room with another person’s handle. Not acceptable. I’m still looking for a permanent solution; but in the meantime have a temporary one.

At the bottom of every screen, we have had an instant messaging bar from early on. It’s useful for two-person chats between two members that are on their friends list. I’ve installed a new version which adds a real chat room. This is much like the old chat room, allowing multiple people and automatic sign in with your membername. Click on the Chat Room button at the right side of the messaging bar and General to enter. It could be better, but has some advantages:

1. It is not Java-based, and will run on all popular browsers without installing an add-in.
  2. You can detach it (button in upper right corner) and keep it up as you browse the forum.
  3. There is a mobile version for most mobile devices. It took me a couple tries to get it to work and you can’t be in TapaTalk. When it works, you will see a floating tab in the lower-right corner. Click to enter.
  4. The software resides on my server instead of a third-party, and is therefore encrypted. If you pop out the chat window, you should see a security icon at the upper-right. Click to see if it is encrypted. So, Sheldon Adelson won’t be listening in.

One disadvantage is that you will see previous messages when you enter the room. I don’t know how far back this goes yet.