See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: House Edge and Basic Strategy Calculators

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

House Edge and Basic Strategy Calculators

Where does everybody look up their house edge's and basic strategy?

I usually use the ones found on the Wizard's website, but I thought I read a post on a thread somewhere that the Wizard has a more accurate (or in some other way better) BS calculator somewhere. Also, I sometimes find the HE calculator lacking since you can't really check for more obscure rules like ES.

I know I can probably just sim HE given the correct BS, but I prefer using a website app for quick and accurate look ups.

Does anyone have recommendations of what they use or have tried?

Blog Entries

It's important to understand that if you are a counter, BS edge calculators are all wrong. They apply to basic strategy. The gain/loss of different rules is different for counters.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    It's important to understand that if you are a counter, BS edge calculators are all wrong. They apply to basic strategy. The gain/loss of different rules is different for counters.
    I do understand that. It's more so for other plays such as player point promotions and the like. The motivation behind my last visit to the HE page was reading an old post on another website where someone claimed to be playing a game with an edge off the top of the deck, so I wanted to see what possible rule combinations would give a BS player an edge. ES was part of the game description so I'm still unsure about how skeptical to be.

While we're on the topic of the value of rules to counters, is there somewhere (a book perhaps) you can point me to where I can get a better idea of comparing rule sets? (ie. is S17, etc. etc. ES no insurance better than H17 etc. etc. LS insurance for counting?).

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Problem is for counters, it depends on all the circumstances. There are some charts in my book. But, the rules/decks/spread/etc all interact.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Rules: BJA3, pp. 492-93. BS charts, beginning on p. 478 of Appendix B.

Don

Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Yes, I like blackjackinfo.com basic strategy charts the best of all I have seen on the web. They also show the house edge for each chart. I think they are the best because they are color coded well and have a nice size.

For a house edge rules calculator I like this.
    http://www.blackjackapprenticeship.c...ck-calculator/
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 03-28-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    How about for a BS player? Is it those BS edge calculators are good enough for a BS player?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    Yes, I like blackjackinfo.com basic strategy charts the best of all I have seen on the web. They also show the house edge for each chart. I think they are the best because they are color coded well and have a nice size.

For a house edge rules calculator I like this.
    http://www.blackjackapprenticeship.c...ck-calculator/
    What I like about the house edge page for blackjackapprentice is that you aren't asked about hole cards, which is really just a convenient stand-in for asking about whether you lose all your bets against a dealer BJ. However, it misleads people in cases where the dealer does not have a hole card but only takes the original bet.

Quote Originally Posted by peterlee View Post
    How about for a BS player? Is it those BS edge calculators are good enough for a BS player?
    Probably, that's what they are, house edge calculators for a player who uses the correct BS. However, I have found some discrepancies between websites which could be the result of a few things. It could be as simple as different methodology or a rule being implicit in one but an option on the other. The calculators would also have to use the correct BS for the rules.