See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Blackjack Life" by Nathaniel Tilton

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Romes View Post
    ...Just bought The Blackjack Life. Sounds like another book I'd enjoy reading. Especially because after many many years of Lone Wolf my team started out with me and my best friend 2 manning it. I'd like to hear about how they developed in their team as we did ours, learning along the way =D.
    Update: I'm about half way through the book and I love it. Their approach seems to literally mimic the mindset and steps that my partner and I took in developing our team. It's really interesting to read about someone I've never met nor shared a conversation with but feel like we're on the exact same page/thinking the same thoughts. I also really like how he discusses Kelly, Unit Sizing, etc. Some books just get in to the +1's and -1's, but in a nonchalant way he goes in to the detail of all of the other little bits and pieces. Since I'm reading it with my girlfriend (whom is also now a teammate) it's great for her to re-read some of these thoughts and concepts as laid out by someone other than me... Even though as she's asked me 3-4 times if I wrote it and just wanted to make her re-read things =p.

Good balance of study/stories and a great read for sure.

Blog Entries

You'll find a couple hundred posts by Nathaniel here and a chat in the Chat Archives. He posted under the handle NT21. He was a moderator here; but faded away when he took over Semyon's site.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Oops, hit the wrong bookmark link and here I am, after a long absence. Saw this thread and feel compelled to post my tale

A year or two ago, I was playing at the fountain place. I was flat betting, as the count was going nowhere. A guy sat down next to me. He seemed very friendly and chatty. Next shoe, count started tanking, and just as I was going to get up for a bathroom break, he got up for a bathroom break. I waited one extra hand, then made my way to the bathroom. Next shoe, count tanked again. I started to stand up to receive a fake phone call, and he stood up to receive a phone call. Next shoe, count started to rise, and we both started raising bets.

As I don't play Vegas very often, and it was fairly noisy, I made some comment, along the lines, "are you on any of the onine forums?" to him under my breath. Perhaps also "I was here first." We exchanged forum handles and it turned out to be Nathaniel (we both recognized each others handles.) I mentioned I enjoyed his book, and we chatted for a bit. Very nice guy!
    Last edited by 21forme; 04-05-2016 at 06:34 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
    Oops, hit the wrong bookmark link and here I am, after a long absence. Saw this thread and feel compelled to post my tale

A year or two ago, I was playing at the fountain place. I was flat betting, as the count was going nowhere. A guy sat down next to me. He seemed very friendly and chatty. Next shoe, count started tanking, and just as I was going to get up for a bathroom break, he got up for a bathroom break. I waited one extra hand, then made my way to the bathroom. Next shoe, count tanked again. I started to stand up to receive a fake phone call, and he stood up to receive a phone call. Next shoe, count started to rise, and we both started raising bets.

As I don't play Vegas very often, and it was fairly noisy, I made some comment, along the lines, "are you on any of the onine forums?" to him under my breath. Perhaps also "I was here first." We exchanged forum handles and it turned out to be Nathaniel (we both recognized each others handles.) I mentioned I enjoyed his book, and we chatted for a bit. Very nice guy!
    Great story - thanks for sharing. I could care less about seeing a movie celebrity in Vegas, but to be playing next to a BJ celebrity - that's the nuts!

You dont recognize him?

I still laugh about that exchange today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post

YIKES ! My error. In spades !

I was thinking of another book -- "Repeat Until Rich."

I will delete my commentary.

Please forgive my egregious error.
    I'm glad we figured out I'm not the white, degenerate gambler in dreadlocks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

As a new player, I throughly enjoyed NT's book and learned from it, it is on my re-read list, and would recommend it to anyone who's gets an interest in the game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "between the conception and the reality, falls the shadow "

Paraphrased: T.S. Eliot's
    The Hollow Men

On page 316, the indices are dramatically different than other sources. Why is the index 7.5 for 10 vs 10?

Is that the risk averse index?

Is that the risk averse index?
    Yes

Probably assumed a different bet to BR ratio when determining RA indices.

Things are getting complicated..
    In term of risk-averse, shouldn't there be only one optimal RA index for every play?
    Only one index should produce the highest risk-adjusted return.
    If the cover aspect is not taken into account, for 10 vs 10, I believe 4 is the optimal index if not consider risk, 5 is the optimal index if consider risk(produce the highest EV adjusted to the same risk).
    If being too conservative, deviate at TC 7.5 rather than 5, I guess the result would be "riskier" for the same amount of EV, no?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast