Thread: Question:Indexes?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Question Question:Indexes?

I found something interesting when I was choosing the playing strategy in CVCX yesterday:
    Inside the folder Stanford Wong, I can use the '94 Basic High-Low', 'Old Basic High-Low' and 'Old Complete High-Low' indexes.I can spot some differences on the index tables:

Rules:6 decks,DAS,H17 Hard 12-Dealer 3:
    '94 Basic High-Low'
    Hit if <2
    'Old Basic High-Low'
    Hit if <2
    'Old Complete High-Low'
    Hif if <1

I guess that 1994 is the year of last edition of the book Professional Blackjack by Stanford Wong, but I have no idea which index I should use. Could someone tell me what are the differences between these thingies? Thanks a lot!

Blog Entries

In 1994, Stanford changed the indices from flooring to truncation. Basically, the negative indices were increased by 1. It was a mistake as this is slightly worse. But, the effect is minor.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    In 1994, Stanford changed the indices from flooring to truncation. Basically, the negative indices were increased by 1. It was a mistake as this is slightly worse. But, the effect is minor.
    Hmm...I don't understand what you mean... the Hard 12-Dealer 3 index is positive. How is it affected? And do you mean that using the 94 indices is slightly worse?

Blog Entries

There are indices in the main part of the book and the back of the book. The one's in the back of the book are more complete. All indices in the 1994 book round toward zero. That is negative indices round up and positive round down. In the original book, all indices rounded down. The older method is slightly better. But, negative indices aren't very important anyhow.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse