See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Funny Story - Insurance Vs. "Even Money"

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Blackjacks push blackjacks in this game. Who would have figured?

I kind of ignored this thread, since all I saw was - you're not understanding what I'm saying - so, if I've missed the boat here, oh well.

Seems to me that Team Money is trying to be a result merchant. By that I mean, ploppy logic of querying 1 result only vs looking at the long haul. Lets make this easy. What's an index? Is it not a profit maximizing play?

Playing hi Lo for the sake of argument - playing 1 hand only, you have blackjack vs dealer ace. Optimal long term play is to take even money whenever true count => 3.0. Playing 1 hand only, you have a crap 16 against dealer ace heads up. You take insurance whenever true count => 3.0. (You'd better be passing your 15,16, or your not playing optimally.

Playing as above, except 2 hands. Dealer has ace, you have BJ one one hand and a crap 16 on the other.
    What does the index say?
    whenever you're taking even money on BJ, and taking insurance below index on the other, you're deviating from the long term play.

You can make allowances on multi unit bets for the BJ, as well as for hand 2, provided hand 2 is a good hand.

You can figure out the numbers if you want. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    This is where your logic is flawed.

If you take insurance on both hands and the dealer has blackjack, you are correct that the overall result is a push on the non-blackjack hand. However for the blackjack hand, you get paid 2 x half your bet (i.e. even money) and your blackjack hand pushes leaving you with an even money profit on that hand. Exactly the same as if you had just taken even money in the first place.

Now if the dealer does not have blackjack, on your blackjack hand you lose your insurance bet, which is 1/2 of your original bet, but you immediately win 1.5 x your original bet for a profit of (1.5 - .5) = 1 x your original bet. Just as if you had just taken even money.

So, for the blackjack hand, taking even money is exactly the same as taking full insurance.
    Ahh, my flaw was that my blackjack would push and still get paid on winning the insurance bets lol. I was thinking somehow i would lose the blackjack hand and break even with insurance. I get it now, thanks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234