See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When to walk away from a table

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    In response to your original question, there are exit strategies that are based on the count and how many decks have been played. Of course you have to learn how to count and estimate how many decks you are looking at in the discard tray. Read, learn and practice.
    “One man’s remorse is another man’s reminiscence.” Ogden Nash

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKing View Post

But for the record, I don't raise my bet at random, I raise it by certain intervals when winning. Then every time I lose, I go back to the minimum bet.
    That is at random when it comes to whether or not you have an advantage. You want to raise your bet when you have the advantage and raise it more as your advantage grows and lower it as your advantage shrinks. That is nonrandom bet adjustment.
    Last edited by Three; 01-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackKing View Post
    Thanks for your understanding, support, and advice on where to get started. If your trip bankroll is 5-6k, how much do you need to sit down with for a session?
    Buying in at 500 is still fine, but for reasons that you will understand after your training. You should look forward to getting all this help. You will be fine.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    With your current approach, you'll need $∞. Although I agree that people are way too quick with the incredulity after you explicitly stated your beginner status, you should understand that nothing that you're currently doing will affect your results in any meaningful way. There is a way to win, and you'd do well by starting with a good book on the subject, such as the nook authored by the proprietor of this website. Best of luck.

Thanks for your advice, I've already begun reading it

Yes having a factual advantage is preferred and hopefully soon I will be closer to reading the cards, but for a casual gamer, that system has done me well in the past.

That progression does well and has staunch defenders. They defend it until they lose all their winnings and much more. Then they say they wish they listened. The smart ones listen and get out with the profit you are likely to see in the short run before the inevitable long run results catch up with them. If you get out with your profit you will be among the small number that do. Since you will win small money most of the time most experience the winning side first. The losing side happens and can be experienced at any time. When it does you lose large money. With counting you can expect to win about 70% of your sessions with proper money management. Your wins should average slightly more than your loses per session. There will be big ones on each side occasionally .

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    BlackKing, you need to decide what you are going to be. If you are going to be a gambler, then I don't think we can really help you here. If however, you have the desire and determination to become an "Advantage Player," then you really need to study our craft and learn all you can. There are many great books out there for counting cards including our good friend and host Norm's book Modern Blackjack Volume I & II. I recommended Kevin's book because, according to your posts, you seem to desire more of the gambling path not that I was implying you were a dummy. I sincerely wish you the best and I hope you choose the way of AP.
    Life is short so hit it hard!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Case in point: I recently won $1500 at a $25 table, but I was down $2000 early on. If I had been underfunded I would have lost everything I'd brought to the table. Losses will happen. Big losses will happen, especially at a $25 or higher table, but the biggest no no is to come to a table underfunded. You also need to determine how much you can afford to lose during one session and walk away when you reach that point, and that's never easy to do.

Like 21gunsalute I have big swings. I am a red/green chipper and see $600 to $800 swings in most sessions. With enough money in my pocket I usually recover from the downward swings during the session. Some of my biggest wins would not have happened if I didn't have enough to play through the swings. I recently played a situation that had me bring 3 times my usual. It had me green chipping. I dropped over $1500 quick. Then the up swing started. After 6 hours of gradually winning with some big wins here and there I cashed out ahead around $700. You need enough money for the size of your play or the likely downswing will have you out the door when it hits without your session money in your pocket.

Also not everyone has to count. Not everyone has to play with an advantage. Just don't get the thought that you can play that way and grind out a living. This may not be a popular post among the crowd here, but play as you wish. For all the virtues of counting, it also comes with a whole host of other problems you're going to have to solve.

It takes a very special income bracket for a person to strongly desire to make serious wage from gambling. Usually you will either be too poor to afford to have an adequate bank roll, or you are too rich to care about making a profit from gambling.

I do like for all my hobbies to be done the right way though.

Blog Entries

There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing at a disadvantage for entertainment as long as you know you are playing at a disadvantage and can afford it. But, I've moved this to the disadvantage forum. You can continue the discussion here.
    Last edited by Norm; 01-16-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast