See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional and semi professional blackjack solo players DO use Hi Lo in 2015

Banned or Suspended

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    "I ask you to reconsider the statement that 'Hi-lo' is an ultra weak count"
    Well ...
    as it compares favorably with lesser Level One Counts
    I will refrain from applying the "ultra" modifier.

O
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    KJ has made some conciliatory comments but he should apologize to Norm. He has badgered Norm mercilessly, not in this thread but in others with absolutely zero justification. The justification that he does offer is weak and doesn't hold water. The issue that he continually revisits may not be trivial but he acts as if the fate of the western world hinges on it. God forbid that the ever so fragile new player should start out with a counting system that is not suitable for him. The stronger ones will adapt. What's the worst thing that could happen? That they get a real job? He obviously believes that he knows the best way to run a forum. So why doesn't he open up his own forum? What's stopping him? It's a free country.
    The conciliatory comments you have referred to are short term at best. We can expect a return to adversarial rhetoric. Within due course, another temper tantrum will erupt - KJ will quit once again, lurk for a few hours, then jump right back in. Rinse, repeat ad infintum.

Should run a pool on the separate events.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Sorry, I don't approve of gambling.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Banned or Suspended

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by drunk View Post
    KJ has made some conciliatory comments but he should apologize to Norm. He has badgered Norm mercilessly, not in this thread but in others with absolutely zero justification. The justification that he does offer is weak and doesn't hold water. The issue that he continually revisits may not be trivial but he acts as if the fate of the western world hinges on its resolution . God forbid that the ever so fragile new player should start out with a counting system that is not suitable for him. The stronger ones will adapt. What's the worst thing that could happen? That they get a real job? He obviously believes that he knows the best way to run a forum. So why doesn't he open up his own forum? What's stopping him? It's a free country.
    Drunk (are you? ), I have acknowledged that I have said thing, to and about Norm, on this site, other sites and in private, that I regret. Truth is I don't dislike Norm at all. But he can be frustrating. Just the other day he moved a thread away from me (in a very slick move ) just to get under my skin. There was no other reason to do it.

I also am very passionate about presenting honest information to the newer guys, just as players did for me (including Flash) not all that long ago and I don't think some of these guys are not really doing that, nor considering the newbies that they are influencing.

I also am passionate about this site. This site sprang from the original site that I started on, blackjackinfo. It is of course Norm's site, he bears the financial responsibility and all the technical issues. But some of us feel we have a significant investment, our time and effort as well. I made the very first post here. For most of my time here, I have tried extremely hard to share my own experiences in a helpful and useful way. Even after some people have been abusing the helpful rating because of personal feeling, I still have one of the highest helpful rating in both percent and total, and that after I deleted about 6 months of my posts from the first half of this year (including many helpful rated posts) during one of my 'tantrums'.

That is the reason, I haven't left as many other professional players have. I continue to stay, sometimes leave and return , and fight to make the site better and more objective and not just the voice of a handful of outspoken members.

By the way, I don't mention that many professional members have left, purely as a dig. I think it reflects that something is wrong. I want to work with Norman and others to get back on track and hopefully draw some of these players back. I personally have encouraged some that I speak with to come back and they have no desire to right now. I want to change that, so the newer, younger players can hear from many that have experienced some success and not just an outspoken few.

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    The conciliatory comments you have referred to are short term at best. We can expect a return to adversarial rhetoric. Within due course, another temper tantrum will erupt - KJ will quit once again, lurk for a few hours, then jump right back in. Rinse, repeat ad infintum.

Freightman, almost ALL of your posts are some sort of putdown to me. It is frustrating and annoying and most importantly in no way productive. I respectfully ask you to knock it off.
    Last edited by KJ; 10-28-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Just the other day he moved a thread away from me (in a very slick move ) just to get under my skin.
    "Paranoia strikes deep; Into your life it will creep."

- Buffalo Springfield
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Blog Entries

Freightman, almost ALL of your posts are some sort of putdown to me.
    Nearly all of your posts are put-downs against various members. For the 12th time, leave or don't leave. But, this constant badgering is boring and disruptive. We are here to talk about AP. I don't know why you are here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    MH
    The roller coaster life. I'm familiar with your EV expectations - the current downward roller coaster you're on, which is a bummer. Your comment of still being at 1/3 EV, I would assume, is gross before expense calculation. A couple of educated assumptions (right or wrong) - based on full time play, is that you do not have a proper spread between expenses and revenue. I think you're still ahead of the game, which in itself is a plus. Possibly a big issue, which I did not see you allude to, is the potential physical toll of the current nomadic lifestyle -

That being said, I see no issues with your points 1 & 2. I strongly agree that 100k, after expenses, given proper bankroll and sufficient skills, is easily achievable for many. You have both. I know you killed that number last year.

I would add to point 2 that training, call it classroom if you will, is not really required. However, I would add that seasoning is all important, and that is an ongoing process - and I think you need more of that. Not withstanding differing opinions on system used, hi Lo gets the money. It's your choice to remain there or change as you see fit. You know that I know you have the ability should you so desire.

Your comments on not reading books disturbs me. Reference material is always worthwhile. Further, there are hidden gems in many of these books, some of which you may not realize for years - but they are there. I think you are doing yourself a disservice here. Reference material, software, mentoring, networking are all part of the growth process. That being said, I know you have the will and desire to pop some big numbers.

For myself, my biggest year was 120k, mostly in my own marketplace. I've had 1 losing year, which was last year - that shit does happen. My hours have really dropped this year, mostly because I can no longer play in my local market. Despite that, this is my second best year, earning on fewer hours, far above EV. As I slowly slide towards a retirement lifestyle, I have to make decisions on my own blackjack play, and where I'm going. If I could park myself in 1 place, I would have no issues popping a 100 plus hours per month. I really don't think the full time travel route is for me - I can't hack the effort of travel, packing and unpacking, restaurant meals etc etc. Health issues, some of which you're aware of, takes its toll. Fatigue over excess travel would be a factor. My wife wouldn't be interested in travelling with me, as she would prefer that we do things together vs my playing cards. She would come with me sometimes - so, I'm pretty much limited to a couple if 3-5 day trips per month. For now, these would be locations that I can drive to, or fly to non stop. My wife is my best friend, and along with kids and grandkids, there's a lot of attraction to home.

I know I'm off on a tangent here, but quality blackjack players are all individual enterprises within a marketplace. Each of us needs to develop our own individual plan - decide where we want to be within that marketplace - approach to business, amend as necessary, etc etc.

Not withstanding our share of bickering, I think a common goal is to Grow and prosper. As Spock says - live long and prosper.

[B]
    Freightman, almost ALL of your posts are some sort of putdown to me. It is frustrating and annoying and most importantly in no way productive. I respectfully ask you to knock it off.
    Never used to be - but you've become a never ending broken record. Also, while I'm st it, why don't you answer some of my questions instead of skirting around the issues.
    Last edited by Freightman; 10-28-2015 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moses View Post
    It's got me laying awake at nights.
    That was funny

I see both, KJ's point and Tthree's. I do believe Tthree in that the complex count he uses does likely shorten the swings of variance especially with his wonging out strategies. For me, I simply do not have the mental or motivational ability to want to learn the more complex counts.

Hopefully, this thread will end the silly debate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12