See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Illinois Lottery

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Illinois Lottery

Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

AP move: buy a lottery ticket, try to sue and ask for punitives when they welch?
    The Cash Cow.

Quote Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
    AP move: buy a lottery ticket, try to sue and ask for punitives when they welch?
    Another AP move...........DON'T PLAY
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

What... you don't like the 50% house edge and the long shot?

I mean, you'd need to hit something like a 1 in 20 million to even hit a prize over $25,000, and then you'd have to win your lawsuit to make it really pay.

Might be worth trying for $25, but there are numerous other better plays for that $25.
    May the cards fall in your favor.

You'd have to win more than $25K, they cash everything below that, even now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Dumb question but is the Illinois lottery still operating? IANAL, but I would assume that accepting wagers with the current intent to not pay winners would be a clear case of criminal fraud.

Not that it would be all that unusual for Illinois politicians to engage in criminal behavior, of course.

The state shouldn't be able to spend any lottery revenue until they have paid all the winners. A dedicated fund should be set up using the lottery revenue to pay the winners that is the sole place lottery revenue is deposited. A different sub account for each lottery run. When all the tickets have been sold and all the winners been paid or their time to cash a ticket has run out only then the profits from that lottery run can be deposited into the general fund. Anything short of that is criminal and should result in politicians going to jail. From here on out revenue should be held until the last ticket is cashed or the time to cash tickets has expired. It is not like the general fund has to pay for the winnings. Each lottery run pays for itself in order to generate a profit above that to enhance the general budget.

These various state lotteries are definitely the worst bet in the house before you even think about adding in this little shenanigan. No escrow account to cover these funds? If there are in fact appropriate escrow accounts for these lottery funds did someone do some sort of misappropriation? Sounds like par for the course to me but back to this worst bet in the house thing; I will often walk into local convenience stores along the beaten path and see these rather sad looking, downtrodden souls buying this stuff up like crazy, both the numbers and the scratch off tickets. They are often people that just don't look like they can afford such nonsensical gambling with such poor odds. In New Jersey I heard it was geared for a 66% payout rate in which 66 cents on the dollar goes back out toward winnings. I have little doubt that most state lotteries are equally bad if not worse than this even, making them the worst bet in the house. Playing state lotteries is not something to sink any money into unless you enjoy throwing money away.

The state shouldn't be able to but legally they can? Apparently you are not the guy in charge of the lottery there, Tthree because I guess they don't do it in the manner you describe!Hahaha It's likely just some glitch or technicality as they said and will honor the payouts in time as soon as they iron out how they embezzle or siphon off these funds in a more responsible and efficient manner. They stated that it'll be paid with interest upon passing a budget, a legal technicality (as they continue to sell lottery tickets). Holding off paying anything out the backdoor until you have more money coming in the front door is the classic Ponzi scheme... Did Bernie Madoff train the lottery agents in Illinois or something?
    Last edited by Tarzan; 09-16-2015 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougfan View Post
    Dumb question but is the Illinois lottery still operating? IANAL, but I would assume that accepting wagers with the current intent to not pay winners would be a clear case of criminal fraud.

Not that it would be all that unusual for Illinois politicians to engage in criminal behavior, of course.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems like bad faith, fraud, and a lot of other bad things. If I were the Feds, I'd shut them down.
    The Cash Cow.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Seems like bad faith, fraud, and a lot of other bad things. If I were the Feds, I'd shut them down.
    According to a recent news show I watched they are still selling tickets and paying off amounts less than 25,000. All of this is about a budget. How in the hell do you run out of money running a lottery? If this were a private company they would be subject to all the things Moo pointed out.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!