Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
The first thing is always stand on 16vT. That would solve the issue of standing on it with big bets out while the cost for the cover play is measured in pennies. BJA3 has a nice section on this that gives you the figures you need to make an informed choice. What you need to consider is the relative size of the bets affected by the cover play. The frequency you get the matchup and the frequency the cover play costs you money as well as the cost of each incident per $100 bet. See chapter 7 in BJA3, "Camouflage for the Basic Strategist and the Card Counter". The tables in the chapter are a great starting point but make sure you read the chapter to get the best use from the tables.
Not disagreeing at all, but I believe it provides better cover to always hit 16vT, albeit at a slightly higher cost overall. The problem with standing is when you then hit 16v9, 16v8, 16v7, etc. I have had a few dealers start to pass me up on these latter plays because they thought I "always stood on 16" after the 16vT play. They then comment that it is odd (to them) for someone to hit against a 9 and stand versus a ten. Opens up a whole conversation that is best avoided if possible.

The important thing from a cover perspective is just to always play this hand the same way.....