Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Sharky's NFL Play-o-the-Weak 2015

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Because its football weather.

Football weather?
    So I guess its a cultural thing.
    Personally, I dont like it when weather becomes a factor in sports.
    But that's me.

Banned or Suspended

The greater the number of factors, (both simple and complex), to consider,

the more interesting the handicapping becomes !
    . .......
    ........Simple !

The weather is part of home field advantage. If you play in Florida the other teams must try to deal with the heat and humidity you are accustomed to and practice and play in all the time. Seattle has cold and rainy conditions almost always. Going to Denver and breathing the thin air of Mile High Stadium the home team lives there and can go at full stream forever the visitors tend to lose a step or 2 shortly after halftime. I remember watching a film of a visiting team breaking a big play from midfield late in the game. The guy looked like he would score easily but after he crossed the 10 yard line he went into slow motion. Guys 10 yards behind him caught him before he hit the 5 yard line. He was helped to the side line where he collapsed and was given oxygen to revive him. He had literally exhausted his oxygen and stressed his body playing where he didn't have enough red blood cells to move enough oxygen for what his body was doing. Those that live there have produced more red blood cells to compensate. It takes at least several weeks at altitude to produce enough red blood cells. The Pats will be facing this Sunday. Teams that play next to or near big bodies of water have naturally windy stadiums that the team is accustomed to. Teams in very cold climates are used to playing in the cold (Green Bay and Minnesota) and often frequent snow (Buffalo with lake effect snow until the great lake freezes over).
    Last edited by Three; 01-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    The wether is part of home field advantage.
    Interesting.

The lines for that game have not changed.
    Wouldnt it be logical to assume Carolina will be benefited by the cold weather and snow?
    Im starting to like Carolina at -3.

Apparently is going to be a beautiful sunny day.

Banned or Suspended

I like Carolina and New England.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMaster_Flash View Post
    I like Carolina and New England.
    No matter how much I may like NE, I hate NE. LOL

Seriously though it is really hard to go into Mile High and win. The Pats already lost there this year. One could argue Gronk getting knocked out of the game in the last few minutes decided it. Gronk is without question the best to ever play his position. Without Gronk, Brady looks like a mortal. He may make the difference in this game if he can finish it. But Gronk and Brady will be up against one of the best defenses in the NFL. Brady's normal dink and dunk style of throwing is probably what is necessary for this matchup but the thin air will have the Pats losing a step or 2 early in the second half. Turnovers may decide it but with normal inflation of the football. You may notice after years of being all by themselves 6+ SD's out from the norm in fumbles they have the same number as the Ravens and Panthers. That as the stat that screamed almost a decade of deflation of the football. Now that they probably don't get away with it anymore. The stat that statisticians called virtually impossible statistical outlier is within the pack of other teams.
    Last edited by Three; 01-24-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Turnovers may decide it but with normal inflation of the football. You may notice after years of being all by themselves 6+ SD's out from the norm in fumbles they have the same number as the Ravens and Panthers. That as the stat that screamed almost a decade of deflation of the football.
    Very interesting - this is the first I've heard of this. Could you provide a few brief examples of these stats; i.e., Pats fumble rate for 2010 to 2014 vs. NFL average?

Here you go copied and pasted. It is funny you picked that time span because it is a record that reflects the aberration. Notice that the top 2-10 in NFL history span 22 plays/fumble but NE is 31 plays/fumble higher than number 2 in NFL history. Note the number 7 record slot is for the same 5 year period by the Texans and is 37 less or another way to put it the Pats' stat is about 44% higher than the next closest team in that 5 year period.

"I actually went back and researched 5 year periods for the entire NFL over the last 25 years. The Patriots ratio of 187 plays to 1 fumble is the BEST of ANY team in the NFL for ANY 5 year span of time over the last 25 years. Not was it just the best, it wasn't close:

1. 2010-2014 Patriots: 187 plays/fumble

2. 2009-2013 Patriots: 156 plays/fumble

3. 2006-2010 Colts: 156 plays/fumble

Here, the author curiously ranks the Patriots #2 and the Colts #3, despite the fact that the teams appear to have the same number of plays per fumble (156).

4. 2005-2009 Colts: 153 plays/fumble

5. 2007-2011 Patriots: 149 plays/fumble

6. 2008-2012 Patriots: 148 plays/fumble

7. 2010-2014 Texans: 140 plays/fumble

8. 2004-2008 Colts: 139 plays/fumble

9. 2006-2010 Jets: 135 plays/fumble

10. 1999-2003 Chiefs: 134 plays/fumble"

An excerpt from this article that puts the stats into mathematical perspective:

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com...rly-impossible
    Last edited by Three; 01-24-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Well it looks like I called the Pats game. I wish I could say I handicapped the game but it was just my instinct. It just amazed me that everyone thought Brady would have a field day against one of the best defenses in football. My only worry was if Manning would lose the game. True to his form as a great field general Manning managed the game well. I liked Carolina in the next game and they look to have the game well in hand. Carolina may have the only defense that is better than Denver. Again not handicapped just instinct. At the last few games of the season an old football adage first spoke by the great Bear Bryant serves you well:

"Offense sells tickets but defense wins championships."

Well that certainly held true today. I am not sure what good it will do you when 2 of the best defenses in the NFL square off in SuperBowl50.
    Last edited by Three; 01-24-2016 at 06:19 PM.

Thank god I was able to defend my +14 AZ bet with a -13.5 with the line at +123. I ended up winning the difference.
    It was so obvious by then that palmer wouldnt recover.
    And boy did he not.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast