Thread: My busted hand got paid

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

My busted hand got paid

And the pit boss was right there!

I had 12 v. 3, early in the shoe so I had the min. out and I hit it. I got a face card and acted all upset like I regretted taking another card (just an act) and turned away acting disgusted. I turned back to the table to see the dealer finish out his hand, and lo and behold my hand was still there. So was my bet. The pit boss was there but didn't seem to be paying attention as he was entering things into the computer. Dealer busts, then grabs chips to begin payouts, and he hesitates every so slightly before finally paying me and then everyone else. I'm pretty sure he noticed the deuce sandwich on 2 slices of face cards but wonder why he didn't correct it if he did. I didn't say anything and neither did anyone else.

The dealer likely did not want to admit he made a mistake by not sweeping your cards when you busted the hand.

To do so after he reconciled his hand would be to admit he made an error. Easier to just pay you and move on.

Just an opinion.
    Luck is nothing more than probability taken personally!

Getting paid is not too uncommon a dealer error. In fact, I am aware of some players who tuck in their 4-5 card 22 routinely because when dealers bust, many often just assume everyone who busted through up their hands and got swept and start paying out. For example, they get a two card 8, get a 3 followed by a 6,5, they will tuck it in. If the dealer catches them, they apologize or say in feigned surprise that they thought they had a 21.

It looks really bad to have an obvious reaction to losing and then accepting a mispay. At min bet I would have corrected it. Many suits and the EITS really look down on you for obviously accepting a mispay that you knew was wrong. I have heard some say it is literally a crime. This is a good way to end up on an undesirable list.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Getting paid is not too uncommon a dealer error. In fact, I am aware of some players who tuck in their 4-5 card 22 routinely because when dealers bust, many often just assume everyone who busted through up their hands and got swept and start paying out. For example, they get a two card 8, get a 3 followed by a 6,5, they will tuck it in. If the dealer catches them, they apologize or say in feigned surprise that they thought they had a 21.
    This works better if it is once in a blue moon, not every time. To make it worthwhile, you need a medium to big bet out and it is unlikely to get a lot of cards at a high count, so it will automatically be rare if you did this every time you had a 4+ card 22 and a max bet out.

When the dealer correctly sweeps up your cards and money don't just act surprised. Act like a degenerate who made an honest mistake would act. Protest that the dealer is wrong and then sheepishly admit your error after they have added your total for you.

As far as heat / cover, this works well with a drunk / distracted act. Make sure you also occasionally throw in your 4+ card 21's as well, and just be quick to stop the dealer if they don't catch that "error". I think insta-calculating the correct total for a 4+ card hand runs contrary to a drunk / distracted act, so these types of things can help you from a cover perspective while also getting you some extra EV.

You may want to also ask the dealer for your total during the hand whenever it is plausible that you wouldn't know like when you have an ace and a few other cards. Dealers get this type of question fairly often.

And lastly, be careful tipping a dealer who is making mistakes in your favor. It could be misconstrued as collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    It looks really bad to have an obvious reaction to losing and then accepting a mispay. At min bet I would have corrected it. Many suits and the EITS really look down on you for obviously accepting a mispay that you knew was wrong. I have heard some say it is literally a crime. This is a good way to end up on an undesirable list.
    Yikes, didn't think about this. Although I have been back there since and nothing was said to me. Played rated both times. There was one other time earlier this year at the same place where I got paid twice for a winning hand (first on a BJ, then second when the dealer busted and paid everyone else including my empty spot) and I alerted the dealer of the mistake. So I do have somewhat of a record of doing the right thing there.