Thread: Winning streak rant - version one

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Winning streak rant - version one

In the past I have posted a number of losing streak rants, especially during my atrocious run in the middle of the year which landed me in Minusland. It took a considerable (though not devastating) emotional toll, and I was convinced that things would never improve and I would eventually be forced to give up the ghost.

Now I have won thirteen of my last sixteen sessions and though there have been a few bumps in individual shoes, the sunny days never seem to end. So how does a winning streak affect one's emotion?

Well, in my own personal opinion, surprisingly little. I just keep on grinding away at the millstone and when I feel tired or I think time is up I just leave. I am a naturally glass half empty kind of person and I still think, no, KNOW, that all good runs come to an end and one day my winnings, and then my original bankroll, will evaporate and go up in smoke. And if the gods of probability don't get me God will for my sins. I don't blow my profits on indulgences. They are simply padding in your bankroll that buys time.

I do think, though, that plenty of people have gone bust after increasing their wagers after a winning streak. I wonder if any of you have. Also, it would be interesting to note what it is, exactly that pushes a person from the "winning phase" to the "losing phase" of problem gambling. Any insights would be marvelously appreciated.
    I.... feel so right doing the Wong thing!!! 9-5! 9-5! 9-5! Every king that screws her makes me feel alive!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymouse View Post
    I do think, though, that plenty of people have gone bust after increasing their wagers after a winning streak.
    Optimum bets at your acceptable ROR for the size of your bankroll.
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymouse View Post
    I do think, though, that plenty of people have gone bust after increasing their wagers after a winning streak. I wonder if any of you have.
    I had a terrible short losing run right after a long winning run causing me to raise my top bets. I didn't go broke because once I had lost enough money I resized my bets again back to what they were. You need to keep an acceptable RoR. That means resizing bets if RoR gets to big. If you do this it is pretty hard to go broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    I had a terrible short losing run right after a long winning run causing me to raise my top bets. I didn't go broke because once I had lost enough money I resized my bets again back to what they were. You need to keep an acceptable RoR. That means resizing bets if RoR gets to big. If you do this it is pretty hard to go broke.
    Is a 1.5% ROR too high?

Quote Originally Posted by seriousplayer View Post
    Is a 1.5% ROR too high?
    What is high is relative to the person and their situation. If you are fine with drawdown you can accept a higher RoR than if you rarely resize your bets to your BR fluctuations. I think it is reasonable but I have been in the BR growing stage until recently. If you need to rely on your winnings to pay bills a much smaller RoR is desirable.

go buy something nice or better yet go invest your winnings in something that will make you more money - be sure to do your homework first, as always . Money makes money . Since you feel as if you will eventually land yourself back in "minusland" take your winnings, treat them as if you lost it all in one session and continue to grind out the BJ edge while you look to invest your winnings in other areas opposed to giving it back.
    There is no glory in practice, but without practice there is no glory . -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    What is high is relative to the person and their situation. If you are fine with drawdown you can accept a higher RoR than if you rarely resize your bets to your BR fluctuations. I think it is reasonable but I have been in the BR growing stage until recently. If you need to rely on your winnings to pay bills a much smaller RoR is desirable.
    smaller like ROR of .25%.

Initially, a few winning sessions and I would get too overconfident, splurge instead of building a bigger BR. After one such streak, I used up all the wins to trade up from my car and then went on a losing streak. Now, at most a small splurge, like taking the family to dinner.

A few losing sessions and I would think of quitting.

Banned or Suspended

"Is a 1.5% ROR too high?"

RISK is purely subjective.

Some prefer < 1% and some accept >10%