Thread: Okay - quick opinion A am at McCarran right now

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Okay - quick opinion A am at McCarran right now

Eating at the Chophouse waiting for my flight.

Waiter just pissed me off Bill is 28.10 - I left 40, he asked if I wanted change - I said yeah - he came back asking if I had a dime as he didn't have change - I said, discount the damn thing .10, I'll make it up on the tip, so - instead of returning 12, he has returned 11. A supposedly decent place which I've eaten at before has displayed some pretty shitty protocol. I would normally leave a good tip - thinking he can have the .90 over and out. Quick opinion please.
    Last edited by Freightman; 07-29-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Decided to leave no further tip - complained indicating fellow blew a $5.00 tip over .10.

Not enough info to comment. Was the service good? Was the server there at about the times you needed the server? It tip well but a server can earn a poor tip or even a stiff if they try hard enough. It reminds me of a similar incident at one of my favorite eateries.

I am usually in a hurry so I sit at the bar. I usually get good service and tip well. I go in for a quick dinner. I get an appetizer and never get any attention and eventually get the other bartender to ring me up. I inform this bartender that I normally tip well (which was known from experience) but I am leaving to eat my dinner somewhere else as I haven't seen my bartender/server since I got my appetizer but I noticed he gave everyone else frequent visits. I apologized for tipping poorly but stressed he earned it. My next few visits I sit at the hightop near the bar so I don't have to wait for a table and get served by waitresses. I know the good bartender noticed me each time.

Then as they open on a very busy Saturday I am eating lunch at a nearby eatery and stop in to try to make dinner reservations for a more leisurely family meal. I keep not getting anyone but stop back. I finally see activity long after they were supposed to open. I stop in and the person I deal with says they are booked all night long but I can take my chances on a hightop and suggested I see someone at the bar. Wouldn't you know it I the good bartender is the one that I need to talk to. After explaining my needs the bartender says to wait while she gets the manager. The manager comes and introduces himself and asks me when I wanted to eat. I said around 8 or 8:30. He says unless he calls me to show up at 8:30 and they will seat my family. I don't get a call so I show up at 8:15.

The hostess greets me and says she has expected me at 8 and she was instructed to give me the first table available once I arrived. In a minute or 2 my family and I are seated. We get the best service we have ever had at any restaurant. Despite being one of the busiest nights of the summer our waiter is at our table constantly. We are getting complimentary offerings from the chef made especially for us. It was unbelievable. We went back again on another weekend and got the very good service again. We have signed copies of all the owners books and other free memorabilia signed by the owner. He is a pretty famous chef and the only one of the famous chefs whose restaurants make food that I really like. Everything on the menu is amazing and the portions are generous. I am not sure if I enjoyed my day in the sun there or if this treatment will be the norm but I learned something about what a quality restaurant will do to keep a good customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    Not enough info to comment. Was the service good? .
    The service was okay, the food was okay. For me, 10% means I'm not happy , 15% the service and good are okay. Good service and good food earn 20 to 30%, regardless if the tab.

I was pissed by what I considered as unmitigated gall - and the tip and subsequent comments echoed my displeasure.

No further tip

when he asked if you wanted change back, why not just ask for $5 back or however much you wanted back and tell him the rest is a tip?

Good chance he typed in the $40 in the machine, it said $11.90 change, he remembers you said something about rounding it off, so he gave you the $11.

Don't think he did anything on purpose...just a simple mistake.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Eating at the Chophouse waiting for my flight.

Waiter just pissed me off Bill is 28.10 - I left 40, he asked if I wanted change - I said yeah - he came back asking if I had a dime as he didn't have change - I said, discount the damn thing .10, I'll make it up on the tip, so - instead of returning 12, he has returned 11. A supposedly decent place which I've eaten at before has displayed some pretty shitty protocol. I would normally leave a good tip - thinking he can have the .90 over and out. Quick opinion please.

not following your logic, or the issue...so if you gave you the proper change 11.90...you say you would have given him 5...when in reality you probably would have left him 4.90 - unless, of course, you have some attraction to pocketing 90c in change...so big deal leave him another 4 beans if that was you intention (5 tip)....i think he realizes he pocketed 90c on transaction and you said you "make it up on the tip"

personally, i have been tipping these people generously as opposed to leaving those pesky red/white chips...which can amount to 10-20 upon cashout...i also play for the dealer as well so that pesky red/white is not their only tip...assume winning, of course

amazing how being extra generous to these 'service folk' at repeat places (as you mention)...paperboy/mailman/garbageman/caddy/bartender/waitstaff/etc...how much stiffer drinks, faster service, free drinks, etc i get...of course, a place i won't return, is a diff story

i would have told him to just bring me back a fin and been done with it...prob pay better dividends in quicker service/seating/better drinks - possibly some free..etc, etc, etc

Or I guess one of these days we can become more "European" and restaurants can pay servers a different wage and tipping would become passe.............................NO CHANCE SOON!
    "Women and cats will do as they please, and Men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea" --- Robert A. Heinlein