Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prob in C++ with !=

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Prob in C++ with !=

I was working on a prog in C++ and having problems. I tracked it down to 'Not Equal' which seems to not be working with Code Blocks, so I made up this simple little test. Would some of you C++ guys take a look at this and tell me why it isn't working.

Not Equal 1.jpg
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

Crappppp!!! I found it. Dang semi colon and I spend 2 hours looking for that!
    Play within your bankroll, pick your games with care and learn everything you can about the game. The winning will come. It has to. It's in the cards. -- Bryce Carlson

The compiler should have warned you about that. Check the available warning levels for that and other useful warnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gronbog View Post
    Check the available warning levels for that and other useful warnings.
    I really don't know how to do that Gronbog. Do you mind if I msg you?

You are free to msg me, but I can't promise that I can help. I'm an old-school command line jockey and it looks like you're using some kind of IDE.

Looks like Notepad++ to me.
    "Everyone wants to be rich, but nobody wants to work for it." -Ryan Howard [The Office]

Yes, it is an IDE, it is CodeBlocks.

I'll wait a while so I don't bother you too much. I'm only about 1/3 of the way through the book so it will probably cover errors in more detail later on.

Bodarc,

What C++ book are you using?

When I get time, interested in relearning how to code. Been 30+ years since college computer courses. Looked at C and C#. Planning on going the C++ route.

Interested in your goals and use of C++.

Hey rmwlaw
    It is Bjarne Stroustrup "Programming Principles and Practice Using C++"

I started this about a year ago and got about 1/3 of the way through the book before I got busy and had to lay off of it for a while. I just got back on it but it's 1200 pages so I have a lot to go.

I was thinking of learning to analyze some simple games. My gambling math is far from what is required I think but maybe I can learn a little about that too. I'd just like to know more than just card counting and it's a fun thing to do. Beats the hell out of wasting time on sorry tv these days or facebook. LOL

Not to change the subject, but why C++?
    Unless you're writing device drivers/really low level stuff, or you need every last ounce of performance, a managed language like C# or even a scripted language is fine, and way less painful.
    Heck, if you don't need multi-threading, you can code almost anything in Excel VBA.

So, what would you suggest Marvin?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    Not to change the subject, but why C++?
    Unless [ ... ] you need every last ounce of performance
    BINGO! At least in the case of gaming simulators.

Even with C++, if performance is a priority, one needs to be conscious of what the compiler is doing with your code. That applies to any language, compiled or interpreted really, but with object oriented languages in particular, a lot gets done for you under the covers and you need to be aware if it, if performance matters to you.
    Last edited by Gronbog; 07-20-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodarc View Post
    So, what would you suggest Marvin?
    There is no right answer to this. If you want a bit of a challenge then something like C#, Java, or VB.Net. C# and Java have a C++ like syntax with curly brackets. VB.net uses words instead of curly brackets.

If you just want to be able to build programs quickly to solve relatively small programs ( analyzing games,etc) then I would suggest something like Python.
    Although I'm a huge fan of Excel VBA for building things quickly, VBA is slowly on the way out, and so I'm hesitant to recommend that you learn it.

If you decide to go the C# route then you can download a free version of Visual Studio from Microsoft:
    https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/p...xpress-vs.aspx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast