Thread: software for a mac

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

software for a mac

All the Cv software seems to be for windows or am I missing something?

Blog Entries

Windows or mobile devices. Although the mobile software is not as sophisticated. There is little in the way of gaming software for Macs.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Google Virtualbox (Oracle's freeware version of virtual machine software, such as VM Ware and Fusion). You can emulate a PC within your mac, by installing Virtualbox, and then installing a copy of MS Windows inside of Virtualbox.

Once that is done, you can install and run any of Norm's CV software apps.

Hope that helps.

Thanks I'll give it a try Mr. Law.

Banned or Suspended

Cajun,

I am a veteran Pro BJ Player and a Mac User (since 1984)

There are numerous ways to run Windows Applications on a Mac.

contact me at: [email protected]

I will help you out.

Blog Entries

Flash, I get this question all the time. A detailed explanation would be quite valuable to many folk.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Flash, are you referring to dual booting an Apple computer, such as with Apple's own software (BootCamp), or through other dual/triple (if adding one or more Linux distributions) booting methods?

I was merely suggesting a freeware approach to virtual machines, with Oracle's Virtualbox (free) as opposed to Fusion or Parallels. Either way, you would still need to install a version of MS Windows in the virtual machine, and then you can operate any windows application/software as though you were operating a PC.

Likewise, you could dual/triple boot with a Linux OS, and then run windows software within that Linux distribution through Wine (Windows Is aNother Emulator - IIRC - which is also freeware).

Just curious what routes you had in mind when responding earlier to Cajun (for him/her and others who have Apple computers).

Banned or Suspended

Rmwlaw's post is comprehensive.

Apple's Boot Camp is system-included software that will partition a drive and set up a Mac as a dual-boot computer,
    Which, according to P.C. Magazine, will run Windows spectacularly well.

That is my first choice. Another lesser known solution could be:

Crossover

SEE: https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/

"CrossOver can get your Windows productivity applications and PC games up and running on your Mac quickly and easily. CrossOver runs the Windows software that you need on Mac at home, in the office, or at school without purchasing a Windows license, without rebooting your computer, and without having to use a virtual machine. And CrossOver can run a wide range of Windows software. Check the What Runs database on the developer's Web site.

EDIT: I just installed CROSSOVER and found that
    our niche software actually DOES require a Windows Install Disk to install the
    application.
    Last edited by ZenMaster_Flash; 07-11-2015 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Correction

Blog Entries

Looked at the Crossover site. Appears that applications must be ported to Crossover by the developers.