See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stress Question - Are AP usually bald?

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Stress Question - Are AP usually bald?

Hi guys,

So up till about last year, I've had great healthy hair, but noticeably in the last year, specifically in the last 6 months, my hair has been thinning out like rapidly super fast. On average would you say your hair is thin or near balding since starting your blackjack career? I cant figure if its the stress, my poor sleep schedule, my poor diet or what. Or whether its genetics (but my parents have full set of hair). I'm a youngling at 23, so this stuff shouldnt be happening yet...

So yeah. Think BJ has stressed out your hair? Every shower recently I just see the strands fall

Quote Originally Posted by 20 to 1 Spread View Post
    Hi guys,

So up till about last year, I've had great healthy hair, but noticeably in the last year, specifically in the last 6 months, my hair has been thinning out like rapidly super fast. On average would you say your hair is thin or near balding since starting your blackjack career? I cant figure if its the stress, my poor sleep schedule, my poor diet or what. Or whether its genetics (but my parents have full set of hair). I'm a youngling at 23, so this stuff shouldnt be happening yet...

So yeah. Think BJ has stressed out your hair? Every shower recently I just see the strands fall
    Yes your choices arrested limited to being an AP, becoming bald and spending whatever earnings on hair transplants or toupees before you accept your total baldness.

Yeah . . . . it's a stress thing. Tapping out, having your spread nailed or your membership(s) suspended all combine to do their worst. In my case, there's also the cost of the diesel to travel to/from a decent game. Surprised I didn't qualify to audition for the lead in a "the King and I" years ago . . .
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Visit UK-21's Degenerate Gamblers Pages - www.uk-21.org

I am going to make a recommendation that I should follow more closely myself (so yes, I am being hypocritical by posting this). I find that exercising just before (and sometimes after) each session helps me to deal with the ups and downs. When I am on an extended trip for one night or longer, this is much easier because most shops have some sort of work-out facility or pool. If I am driving and it is a short hit and run session, I try to get a workout in just before I leave. I read this years back in Ian Anderson's Burning the Tables and should incorporate this more myself.
    I don't know that this will help directly with your hair loss, but it can't hurt. I am also willing to bet that it will improve your focus and overall game.

Hi guys,

Most card counters are men. Up to half the population of men are affected by male pattern baldness, which is most commonly caused by heredity. Stress may or may not play a role. So, it stands to reason that up to 50% of male card counters will be affected by some degree of baldness during their lifetimes.

Male pattern baldness, also called androgenetic alopecia, is the most common type of hair loss in men. At some point in their lives, up to 50 percent of all men will be affected by male pattern baldness to some extent.
    The common cause of male pattern baldness—heredity—is usually harmless. However, sometimes it has more serious causes, such as certain cancers, medications, thyroid conditions, and anabolic steroids.
    An unproven theory is that stress may cause hair loss by increasing the production levels of sex hormones in the body. You can reduce stress by participating in relaxing activities, such as walking, listening to calming music, and spending more quiet time.
    [Boldface added] http://ask.healthline.com/health/mal...ness#Overview1

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

I cant figure if its the stress, my poor sleep schedule, my poor diet or what. Or...
    For me, it's a receding hairline and strongly accelerated greying.

Sleeping better, eating better, and trying to relax a little have helped.

In order, drink enough water to stay properly hydrated, eat moderate quantities of a balanced variety of foods at regular intervals, get adequate amounts of sleep at regular intervals... and a little exercise now and then probably wouldn't hurt.
    May the cards fall in your favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    For me, it's a receding hairline and strongly accelerated greying.

Sleeping better, eating better, and trying to relax a little have helped.

In order, drink enough water to stay properly hydrated, eat moderate quantities of a balanced variety of foods at regular intervals, get adequate amounts of sleep at regular intervals... and a little exercise now and then probably wouldn't hurt.
    Exercise and diet are the two biggies.

Blog Entries

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    And choosing your parents.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Exercise and diet are the two biggies.
    I don't recall where I heard it, but most people are inadequately hydrated.

My experiments on myself and others suggest that drinking more water has an almost immediate beneficial impact on many things.

YMMV, IANAL, may contain peanuts, etc.

I don't recall where I heard it, but most people are inadequately hydrated.

My experiments on myself and others suggest that drinking more water has an almost immediate beneficial impact on many things.

YMMV, IANAL, may contain peanuts, etc.
    I also heard that if you drink coffee, you need to drink two cups of water for every cup of coffee just to replenish oneself. If that is the case, I must be terribly dehydrated.

Aslan 11/1/90 - 6/15/10 Stormy 1/22/95 - 8/23/10... “Life’s most urgent question is: what are you doing for others?” — Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I also heard that if you drink coffee, you need to drink two cups of water for every cup of coffee just to replenish oneself. If that is the case, I must be terribly dehydrated.
    Any quality barista will serve water with coffee. Always. A few of my barista acquaintances were complaining that their body odor had become distinctly different (very coffee-smelling) since they started drinking vast quantities of coffee daily. The solution was to drink more water - this reduced the intensity of the odor.

My ex-sister-in-law is a nurse. Her suggestion was drink enough water so that you're peeing clear, not yellow.

I've heard that some Marine bases have a poster over the urinals with a color chart. If it's coming out this color, this is how many canteens of water you need to drink and how quickly.

A whole lot of the body chemistry happens in water. It's been 20 years since chemistry class, but if the chemicals are differently concentrated when they react, it changes things.

Our informal experiments suggested that we felt less stress with improved hydration.

Any quality barista will serve water with coffee. Always. A few of my barista acquaintances were complaining that their body odor had become distinctly different (very coffee-smelling) since they started drinking vast quantities of coffee daily. The solution was to drink more water - this reduced the intensity of the odor.

My ex-sister-in-law is a nurse. Her suggestion was drink enough water so that you're peeing clear, not yellow.

I've heard that some Marine bases have a poster over the urinals with a color chart. If it's coming out this color, this is how many canteens of water you need to drink and how quickly.

A whole lot of the body chemistry happens in water. It's been 20 years since chemistry class, but if the chemicals are differently concentrated when they react, it changes things.

Our informal experiments suggested that we felt less stress with improved hydration.
    All true and good advice... and still your hair will fall out. It's like global warming-- whether man helps it happen or not, it's still going to happen... only hopefully, not as fast of we do the right things.

PS-- I'm too smart to get into a discussion of the latter topic here.
    Last edited by Aslan; 07-06-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Or whether its genetics (but my parents have full set of hair). I'm a youngling at 23, so this stuff shouldnt be happening yet...
    The gene for baldness is on the X-chromosome and is recessive. Men have 1 X-chromosome while women have 2. This means men are 4 times more likely to exhibit the baldness characteristic than women when an even distribution among the population is assumed for the baldness gene. It also means a man did not get the baldness gene from his fathers side of the family. A man got his Y-chromosome from his father and his X-chromosome from his mother. Maternal grandfather is the most likely candidate for seeing your X-chromosome baldness gene expressed but anyone on the mother's side will do. If your mother exhibits baldness both her X-chromosomes have the gene and so do you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast