Thread: Wonging

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Wonging

Hello All,

Im curious how many of you, if any, get frustrated when you are near the end of a shoe, the count is high, you've been waiting for just this moment and someone decides to join in and plop down a minimum bet while you've got a max bet out.

I had this happen recently. The new comer to the table got two tens and won. I got 14, hit and busted out. As more cards were discarded we didn't get another shot at the high count. Does it have any negative impact to the table when someone joins in on the last one or two hands when the count is high.

I appreciate your feedback.

FerrisB

Hello, FerrisB!

This kind of thing happens to me all the ... anyone?... anyone?... all the time.

I have to wonder, at least for a moment or two, if the new player is really a ploppy or ... anyone? ... anyone know the alternative?... another card counter.

I also have to remind myself that, while I'd certainly prefer all the +TC cards to myself for the highest, anyone?... anyone heard of EV? anyone... "EXPECTED" the next word starts with a "V"... anyone?... Value, that is simply not within my... anyone... anyone... anyone know?... control and I just have to grin and ... anyone?... bear it.

I hope this ... anyone? anyone have an idea?... anyone at all?...

Helps!
    SiMi

The only "negative impact" it has is that you'll play fewer rounds, and thus less chances to bet large when you have an advantage.

You could kindly ask the player to wait for the shuffle since there are only a few rounds left, most people understand and oblige if asked and reasoned with nicely.

If he insists on playing, your best option is to play two hands for the remainder of the shoe.

I would assume if they individual was a counter, they would realize the count was high and bet something more than a minimum bet.

Of note, it was actually a guy and his girlfriend that sat down. After watching them for a while neither had the basic strategy knowledge. They appeared to be beginners.

For those who do Wong in/out, what is your response to this, when it is near the end of a shoe and you decide to Wong in, someone who has been sitting through the shoe ask you if you could wait for the shuffle before joining, how would you respond?

Quote Originally Posted by FerrisB View Post
    For those who do Wong in/out, what is your response to this, when it is near the end of a shoe and you decide to Wong in, someone who has been sitting through the shoe ask you if you could wait for the shuffle before joining, how would you respond?
    I've had an out of town counter reserve 2 spots, backcount my table while he was watching Bac (supposedly) and wong in at 2x500 at the appropriate moment. I asked him "please don't backcount my table". Ironically, we both knew who the other was at that point in time, though we had never met. In fact, he asked, literally, "are you Freightman". Kind if humorous in retrospect.

Hi FerrisB.

To answer your question I believe it does have a negative impact on the AP for two main reasons.

1. You risked your ‘waiting bet’ x amount of times prior to actually having the advantage in your favor and being able to ramp up your wager.
    2. If s/he wonged into your game then there would be more cards eaten up, and that would give you less hands per hour and less chances at big counts, as you mentioned.

On another note, I do not get mad being I have wonged into games and played .. although I was asked by the cigarette smoking plop to wait until the cut card came out.

I am becoming a predominant back counter/wong player after coming to the realization that I can count multiple tables at once, opposed to playing 1 table with a ‘waiting bet’ out . I came to realize I am utilizing my time far better with this approach.
    Next time you are playing in a big count and you are that close to the cut card and someone wongs into your game spread to 2 spots of 75% of wherever you are on your ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangechip2 View Post
    Hi FerrisB.

To answer your question I believe it does have a negative impact on the AP for two main reasons.

1. You risked your ‘waiting bet’ x amount of times prior to actually having the advantage in your favor and being able to ramp up your wager.
    2. If s/he wonged into your game then there would be more cards eaten up, and that would give you less hands per hour and less chances at big counts, as you mentioned.

On another note, I do not get mad being I have wonged into games and played .. although I was asked by the cigarette smoking plop to wait until the cut card came out.

I am becoming a predominant back counter/wong player after coming to the realization that I can count multiple tables at once, opposed to playing 1 table with a ‘waiting bet’ out . I came to realize I am utilizing my time far better with this approach.
    Next time you are playing in a big count and you are that close to the cut card and someone wongs into your game spread to 2 spots of 75% of wherever you are on your ramp.
    Agreed - unwanted card eating. Wish they would wong into negative shoes.

I can't help but regurgitate an old story in a low roller joint in my beginning days. I was playing a 2-50 max table, and had 2x50 on the felt. Some ass walked by and put his $2.00 bet out. I asked politely if he would mind holding off for a couple of rounds. He basically told me where to get off. If he had not wonged in, I would have lost all to dealer BJ. Because of his interference, I had AA and pat 20 against dealer Face - winning both the split and hand 2. I brought this fact up to the interfering ploppy, and thanked him profusely for being an asshole.

KJ has also brought up the point that playing hi Lo, allows him to simultaneously backcount other tables. This certainly adds enormous efficiency for those blessed with good eyesight. I am not in that category. Accordingly, I play most all, depending on table availability.

To the OP...this just happened to me today1

Quote Originally Posted by Freightman View Post
    Agreed - unwanted card eating. Wish they would wong into negative shoes.

I can't help but regurgitate an old story in a low roller joint in my beginning days. I was playing a 2-50 max table, and had 2x50 on the felt. Some ass walked by and put his $2.00 bet out. I asked politely if he would mind holding off for a couple of rounds. He basically told me where to get off. If he had not wonged in, I would have lost all to dealer BJ. Because of his interference, I had AA and pat 20 against dealer Face - winning both the split and hand 2. I brought this fact up to the interfering ploppy, and thanked him profusely for being an asshole.

KJ has also brought up the point that playing hi Lo, allows him to simultaneously backcount other tables. This certainly adds enormous efficiency for those blessed with good eyesight. I am not in that category. Accordingly, I play most all, depending on table availability.
    My eyesight is poor. I play nmse games a lot. At other times I play on the off hours. Spanish is not a good money-maker because of the relatively low max bet structure.