See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intermediate struggles, A,7 vs 10

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

Intermediate struggles, A,7 vs 10

Hopefully will not get slammed for sharing this....Sitting at a DD game, Playing HiLo, I-18, sitting at 3rd base with 2 others, TC is +5, last round of a 70% pen deal. Dealer has a 10 showing, I have an a,7,. First guy had 10,2, hits and busts (gets a 10), second guy has a pair of 3's, hits, gets a 2 and a ten. I see two 3's and two 2's in the round and I stand (probably stupid decision). Luckily for me, dealer has an 8 and it's a push. I ask the dealer what the next card was and it was a 10 so, it would not have made a difference.

however, I should have hit my Ace, 7 (maybe I could have gotten an Ace and won or gotten an 8 or 9 and lost).

I suppose that if I plan to stick with HiLo and I-18, I just have to follow the strategy and hit.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Don't try to outthink the math. You know the proper play. Just do it. You have other things to think about.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    however, I should have hit my Ace, 7 (maybe I could have gotten an Ace and won or gotten an 8 or 9 and lost)
    ZeeBabar, you should be slammed! Don't you realize the play is to hit soft 18 v 10 up card.There are many ways and combinations of cards that will improve your hand. Pathetic.
    Last edited by BoSox; 06-04-2015 at 06:06 AM.

On page 89 of Burning the Tables, Ian Andersen quoted Blackjack Attack and stated the cost of standing A7v10 being 1.98 cents per $100 wagered.
    However, I checked Blackjack Attack 3 and saw that the cost of standing A7v10 is 2.2 cents per $100 wagered. Page 99.

Not sure why the numbers are different or which to use as a basis.

This is one of Zee's better posts. No where in here does he mention winning or losing money in the shoe or the day or worrying about another player at the table being mad at him or the pit, or any of the other nonsense he usually seems to consider relevant for the play. I guess he does mention asking what the next card was, but hey it is progress!

I could see removing (2) 2s and (2) 3s in a DD game changing this close play to a stand. Have no idea, but would bet standing is correct. That said, you will do more harm than good guessing and deviating from your prepared and pre-learned strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeeBabar View Post
    Sitting at a DD game, Playing HiLo, I-18

Zee, you say you play I-18? Do you split 10's vs. 5&6 when the TC calls for it, or do you choose not to for 'other reasons'? That's about the only question I haven't see you ask,, was if splitting 10's vs. 6 or 5 when the TC was "+4/5" was the 'right call' after a loss, I'm sure it's coming..

You have a 7/13= 53.8% of improving your hand, or not changing it- actually better than that once you factor in the fact that the pack is 10-A rich . The answer is trust the math.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowless View Post
    On page 89 of Burning the Tables, Ian Andersen quoted Blackjack Attack and stated the cost of standing A7v10 being 1.98 cents per $100 wagered.
    However, I checked Blackjack Attack 3 and saw that the cost of standing A7v10 is 2.2 cents per $100 wagered. Page 99.

Not sure why the numbers are different or which to use as a basis.
    You really shouldn't use either. The absolute penalty for doing this all the time, isn't relevant here. It takes into consideration the fact that you only get the hand about once every two hours. Since the hand is already in front of you, the cost in the conditional one, on the previous page, which is, rounded, 4% of the wager. In fact, for six decks, the more precise value is 3.6%.

Don

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    There are at least a few who did not respond just to slam me and there was much learning to be had from the responses that some posted. At least two, besides me, were prone to "standing" in such a situation. So, for 2-3 of us, it was valuable.

the idiots who just slamm with nothing about the post, just the poster, well...

Blog Entries

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    It really should have been slammed. Dylan said: "I'll know my song well before I start singin'". The point is that you learn a strategy and then apply it. You don't try to out-think it on the fly except under extraordinary circumstances.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

The problem is that Dylan was a crooner.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    I understand Norm. I just shared my thought after returning home and as I reviewed my session in my head. I am not close to the level of some of you and just shared the doubts that creep in for some of us lesser experienced folks. As you can see from the non slamming responses as well as your own response as to how to handle such situations when you are unsure of the indices beyond I-18, that perhaps a person or two besides me has benefitted from the responses.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mcallister3200 View Post
    extraordinarily simple. If you dont know the index, play basic.
    That is silly. For example, I may not know the exact index for standing on a pair of 9's against an 8 but if the TC is minus 15, or some other extreme situation, there is nothing wrong with using common sense. At worst, it's a marginal play in many situations.

Blog Entries

If the TC is -15, your disadvantage is worse than 8%. Even with all the correct indices, it's worse than 5%. If you can't find any other excuse to leave the table at that count, feign an epileptic attack.
    "I don't think outside the box; I think of what I can do with the box." - Henri Matisse

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast