See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: She was like the wind...

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No

She was like the wind...

So there I was counting away when there was a dealer change. She was grumpy, unfriendly and she could deal like the wind. I've always assumed my sim was faster than any dealer and as long as I can keep up with my sim I've been just fine. I could not keep up with her and she was so unpleasant it was too distracting.

So, I stabilized things by playing two hands and switched to the OPP count. It made me some good money.

I know all the stats on OPP, but it came in awfully handy in an emergency.

Let the the blasting begin!

Banned or Suspended

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
    No comments on OPP count. That's your business.

I do want to say that bringing in a super fast dealer is often a countermeasure. Obviously, I would have no idea if it was in this instance. But whether it was or not, it is you, the player, that ultimately controls the speed of the game. The dealer can not go faster than you are willing to go. If need be, I will slow the dealer down. The first time they skip over my hand, I will tell them not to do so (if it is a situation where I want to slow them down). That is your right.

Although generally, I appreciate a fast dealer, it can actually be fun to slow down a really fast dealer. You can easily frustrate them and throw them off their game, just as they are trying to do with you. I have had times where the dealer gets so discombobulated, when you slow them down that they start making frequent mistakes, which can be to your advantage.

Actually my first 6 or months of AP BJ were using OPP. And I won way above expectation...

which does not mean it's a count to suggest to anyone, since KO and Hi Lo already are easy enough and superior

And to the OP, now you have a new challenge! Keep up speed with her and it will be a good accomplishment

The first time they skip my hand I get the Floor for my option. I keep doing it until they stop skipping my signal. Another tactic for slowing a decision that must be made is to have your signal hand busy doing something else. You can be taking a drink or scratching an itch or messing wit your chips basically anything that prevents an immediate hand signal. You can also be thinking about doubling or insurance and ask the dealer to count down your bet since you can't touch it. You could ask the dealer a question that requires more than a yes or no answer. The list is endless. There is no excuse for not having the game slowed to your comfort zone. I remember hearing a screening process for joining a team and part of the test was you had to successfully stall a table for a couple minutes. If you failed to exhibit the skill necessary to control the table you didn't make the team. The stall test was part of the table control test. Being able to control a table is an important AP skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tthree View Post
    The first time they skip my hand I get the Floor . . . .
    Yes. On the odd occasions when I play now, where I run up against some super-fast, fourteen year old whizz-kid dealer, whose getting some practice in for the European dealer championships, I'll wait until he's passed my hand, dealt out to the next two players and then insist I would have taken a card. If one of the two to my left finds that moving the cards leaves them with a naff hand, there's usually words said and the floor supervisor will step in. With my hand declared null and void, it usually stops the nonsense dead in its tracks.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Visit UK-21's Degenerate Gamblers Pages - www.uk-21.org

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    No comments on OPP count. That's your business.

I do want to say that bringing in a super fast dealer is often a countermeasure. Obviously, I would have no idea if it was in this instance. But whether it was or not, it is you, the player, that ultimately controls the speed of the game. The dealer can not go faster than you are willing to go. If need be, I will slow the dealer down. The first time they skip over my hand, I will tell them not to do so (if it is a situation where I want to slow them down). That is your right.

Although generally, I appreciate a fast dealer, it can actually be fun to slow down a really fast dealer. You can easily frustrate them and throw them off their game, just as they are trying to do with you. I have had times where the dealer gets so discombobulated, when you slow them down that they start making frequent mistakes, which can be to your advantage.
    POM nom

Who (else) is down with OPP?

I retired the OPP count, but I had a great experience with it. I built my bankroll with OPP before I made the transition to Hi-Lo. I even made a small modification to it that made it work even better for me. I know all the numbers and arguments against it, but I used it for months and it consistently did good by me. It's nice to have it in my pocket when I need it.

Hey, whatever gets the money. It's not a preferred system by many APs, however, if YOU can get to the money using it while getting a ton of HPH do it !

Quote Originally Posted by Orangechip2 View Post
    Hey, whatever gets the money. It's not a preferred system by many APs, however, if YOU can get to the money using it while getting a ton of HPH do it !
    Agreed. It couldn't have been just variance for all those months giving me profit. There must be something to it.

Banned or Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudstreets7087 View Post
    Agreed. It couldn't have been just variance for all those months giving me profit.
    Umm....actually, yes it could have been.

I have experienced variance in both directions for months at a time on numerous occasions. And months at a time for me, can be 30, 40, 50 thousand rounds, as I suspect that I play far more rounds per month than you. I am not saying it was just variance, nor meaning to burst your bubble, but long periods of both good and bad variance are a fairly common occurance.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ View Post
    Umm....actually, yes it could have been.

I have experienced variance in both directions for months at a time on numerous occasions. And months at a time for me, can be 30, 40, 50 thousand rounds, as I suspect that I play far more rounds per month than you. I am not saying it was just variance, nor meaning to burst your bubble, but long periods of both good and bad variance are a fairly common occurance.
    I am not a statistician, but I always think about the coin flip example. Is it possible to get 40 flips in a row heads? Sure. Is it probable? Not really. I know there is a lot more at play here, but months of variance against the expected result seems like the coin flip example. I know I'm gonna get blasted for this...

The problem with your comparison is that getting 40 heads in a row is indeed extremely improbable but a few months of variance (good or bad) in blackjack is much more likely. They're not even close to being in the same league of improbability. So much so that you could easily flip a fair coin every time you play a round of blackjack for the rest of your life and never see 40 heads in a row but, at that rate, a few months of bad variance in blackjack is practically guaranteed.